How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2004, 10:34 AM   #21
chlo is offline chlo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Fin,

There are 2 or 3 Screws underneath the CDP. Just tie them up for transportation I think. I received mine just like that!... The CDP is very good and the laser can be replaced with CDM1/Mk2, CDM2, CDM4/11 and maybe CDM4/31 since they are all same size. I have tried all myself and it worked great. My CDP currently uses CDM2.

Chlo.
Old 30th September 2004, 02:11 PM   #22
Farguar is offline Farguar  Equatorial Guinea
diyAudio Member

Whilst fitting the new clock, I would be tempted to take a look at the Audio board power supply, you will see a really nice discrete regulated supply for the Analogue audio stages, But 78/7905 regs are being used for the TDA1541A core supply these are a prime target for a some LM317/LM337 (Z201+Z204) and will allow for a more stable supply for the core, Beware these will not be a drop in replacement you'll need a resistor net to set the ADJ pin of the reg, a 270 ohm of the output pin with a 820ohm down the 0V and the ADJ pin conected in between, configured as per widely avaliable datasheet on these devices would suffice.
Old 1st October 2004, 01:19 AM   #23
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for this info.

Can't wait to get my hands on this one. It might be a while before I get around to doing anything interesting with it - but I will post some results and probably ask a lot more questions.
Old 2nd October 2004, 10:24 AM   #24
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
Delta 70.2 is a different animal with clock distribution and a non standard clock schematic.
Hi Jean-paul

Does a player like this benefit more from a good clock upgrade than a player with a standard clock layout?

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
Some tips, better late than never. Did you :

* mount the new clock PCB at the back panel nearest to the 74HCU04 ? A shield under the clock-PCB or a metal case around it to avoid radiation is preferred.

* connect the new clock to pin 1 of the 74HCU04 ?

* remove R227/228, C251 and X201 ? Of course you did

* disconnect the pins 5,6,8,9, 10 and 11 of the 74HCU04 and did you ground ( now unused ) input pins 5, 9 and 11 with a wire ?

* use coax cable from the output of the new clock to the 74HCU04 and did you put the coax one winding through a ferrite bead/ring ?

* connect the ground of the new clock its output coax cable only at one point in the cdplayer nearest to pin 7 or ground of the 74HCU04 ? Leave the power supply floating except for this ground just mentioned.

* put the twisted supply wires of the new supply to the clock a few turns through a ferrite bead/ring ?

You see, EMI is my and your cdplayers enemy.

Do you only use one of the outputs on Guido's clock?

Is there any advantage (or is it even possible) to clock any of the main IC's directly from the other two outputs on the Tent clock module?

Quote:
Originally posted by chlo
I agree with you that the Delta 70.2 is quite complicated!. I replaced all elec caps with most Panas FC, 10 Diode for analog and digital sections(11DQ10), 2 OP627 opamps so far. I have difficulty with installing a clock at the moment. However, without Clock it still sounds very encouraging!.
Hi Chlo

What type of difference did the OPA627's make?

Quote:
There are 2 or 3 Screws underneath the CDP. Just tie them up for transportation I think. I received mine just like that!... The CDP is very good and the laser can be replaced with CDM1/Mk2, CDM2, CDM4/11 and maybe CDM4/31 since they are all same size. I have tried all myself and it worked great. My CDP currently uses CDM2.
Thanks - I contacted the seller and he will now secure the mechanism before sending it to me.

How much of a difference did changing to CDM2 make?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave S
Hi Jean-Paul,
Any other tips to improve this player are also very welcome ( I did see your post that recommended soldering a copper wire under the digital filter chip to improve the grounding).

Hi Dave

Can you direct me to the relevant post?

In the famous thread on the CD723, you mentioned that your Arcam sounds better in someways than your modded 723. Is this before or after modding the Arcam?
Old 6th October 2004, 12:16 AM   #25
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have PCB prints for this CDP?
Old 11th October 2004, 06:32 AM   #26
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Default How much spaceis there?

Quote:
Originally posted by Farguar
Whilst fitting the new clock, I would be tempted to take a look at the Audio board power supply, you will see a really nice discrete regulated supply for the Analogue audio stages, But 78/7905 regs are being used for the TDA1541A core supply these are a prime target for a some LM317/LM337 (Z201+Z204) and will allow for a more stable supply for the core, Beware these will not be a drop in replacement you'll need a resistor net to set the ADJ pin of the reg, a 270 ohm of the output pin with a 820ohm down the 0V and the ADJ pin conected in between, configured as per widely avaliable datasheet on these devices would suffice.
Is there any benefit in going further and installing an additional transformer to supply the DAC only?

What about adding another Transformer and power supplies for the servos?
Old 11th October 2004, 07:07 AM   #27
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I replaced all elec caps with most Panas FC, 10 Diode for analog and digital sections(11DQ10), 2 OP627 opamps so far.

When you installed the OPA627 opamps, did you adjust the supplies from +/-12V to +/-15V?
Old 11th October 2004, 11:33 AM   #28
chlo is offline chlo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

I did not touch any regulators, nor do anything complicated as I do not have time, but after changing diodes and opamps the sound improved dramatically. I must admit, every change will improve the sound quality.

Chlo.
Old 11th October 2004, 01:39 PM   #29
Farguar is offline Farguar  Equatorial Guinea
diyAudio Member

Hi Fin.

I would worry about a seperate TX for the DAC although, I might be tempted to investigate a Toroid replacement form the existing Frame TX, you can also by pass this, i.e By pass the mains switch so that the Audio Stages are kept live (WARM) when the rest of the unit is powered down (Dont by pass the mains fuse tho).

Another area that may yeild fantastic results at very little cost would be to replace the current dividing caps arround the DAC these are resonably critical at the original parts are not to special
stick to the original values 220N PEST, my prefrerence would be for WIMA's as a replacement... Locations C233 - C237 and C243 - C247..

Regards

Farguar.
Old 12th October 2004, 05:25 AM   #30
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi Farguar

I've had a look at the circuit diagram and see exactly what you mean. Replacing the 79/7905 regs will hopefully be easy enough - but I haven't seen the inside of the Delta yet.
Would you recommend copying the capacitor values that are currently used around the LM337 for the -15V supply?

Quote:
Hi Fin.

I would worry about a seperate TX for the DAC although, I might be tempted to investigate a Toroid replacement form the existing Frame TX, you can also by pass this, i.e By pass the mains switch so that the Audio Stages are kept live (WARM) when the rest of the unit is powered down (Dont by pass the mains fuse tho).
You're obviously talking about Transformer 2 - the 15V + 15V 12VA unit. Well - it just happens that I have a 15V + 15V 25VA Torioal pcb mount unit - that I assume could just replace the original one - space permitting. I've also got a 22V + 22V 25VA unit that could be used with some additional RC filtering.

Any idea where the 74HC74 chips in the clock distribution get their +5V from? Is it the same supply as the +5V for the DAC?
If so, would there be any benefit in giving them a separate supply?

Also - I wonder if the decoder pcb is a standard Philips board as used in many CDPs of that era. Would this mean that the 7210 and 7220 are working off the same +5V reg as everything else?

Quote:
Another area that may yeild fantastic results at very little cost would be to replace the current dividing caps arround the DAC these are resonably critical at the original parts are not to special
stick to the original values 220N PEST, my prefrerence would be for WIMA's as a replacement... Locations C233 - C237 and C243 - C247.
Farguar.
This has been added to the list!

Hide this!Advertise here!