How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Delta 70.2 is a different animal with clock distribution and a non standard clock schematic. I fitted clocks in 2 of those and I can tell you what to do. The general instructions are not enough for this one ( sorry, Guido ). There are some ports that can be omitted but some are needed for the clock distribution.

First you need a schematic which I happen to have. If you give your mailadress I'll send it to you ( warning 5 mb file so be sure your mailbox is able to receive 5 mb ).

A superb cdplayer that needs some work but can sound better than CD80. The discrete output stage is well designed. It deserves new caps ( Pana FC is recommended ) and tidy work. Also a separate supply + transformer are a must in this one. Be careful with the case, it wears out easily when the screws are tightened too hard ( aluminium case ) so leave it open while you are modding/listening it. Don't go for cheap, better do it right the first time. Cdplayers of this quality ( for that price ) are rare.

Hi Jean Paul,

Thank you for your reply!.

I agree with you that the Delta 70.2 is quite complicated!. I replaced all elec caps with most Panas FC, 10 Diode for analog and digital sections(11DQ10), 2 OP627 opamps so far. I have difficulty with installing a clock at the moment. However, without Clock it still sounds very encouraging!.

My email: chuong_h_l@nospam.co.uk

Once again, thank you for your help.

Best Regard!

jean-paul said:
Delta 70.2 is a different animal with clock distribution and a non standard clock schematic. I fitted clocks in 2 of those and I can tell you what to do. The general instructions are not enough for this one ( sorry, Guido ). There are some ports that can be omitted but some are needed for the clock distribution.

First you need a schematic which I happen to have. If you give your mailadress I'll send it to you ( warning 5 mb file so be sure your mailbox is able to receive 5 mb ).

A superb cdplayer that needs some work but can sound better than CD80. The discrete output stage is well designed. It deserves new caps ( Pana FC is recommended ) and tidy work. Also a separate supply + transformer are a must in this one. Be careful with the case, it wears out easily when the screws are tightened too hard ( aluminium case ) so leave it open while you are modding/listening it. Don't go for cheap, better do it right the first time. Cdplayers of this quality ( for that price ) are rare.

Hi JP

You are more experienced with the Arcam than I am. Thanks anyhow for jumping in

cheers

Jean Paul,

I also have a 70.2, so I would definately be interested to hear what you say regarding a clock upgrade. I have a manual, will you go through the mod on this thread?

Simon

P.S I've intalled a SRPP tube output stage which just transformed the player. It blows my mates Pink Triangle DaCapo combo into the weeds, and thats with virtually no PSU mods!

Hi Jean Paul,

I obtained a schematic for the DAC and Clock circuit, and someone has instructed me for the following steps:
- Remove Crystal
- Connect pin 5 and 9 of Dac to clock ground
- Disconnect pin 10 of Dac
- Connect low jitter Clock (+) output to the track where pin 10 was connected to.
- Connect clock (-) output to pin 7 or ground lane.

Is there any better way to install it, I have not tried it yet.

Regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Some tips, better late than never. Did you :

* mount the new clock PCB at the back panel nearest to the 74HCU04 ? A shield under the clock-PCB or a metal case around it to avoid radiation is preferred.

* connect the new clock to pin 1 of the 74HCU04 ?

* remove R227/228, C251 and X201 ? Of course you did ;)

* disconnect the pins 5,6,8,9, 10 and 11 of the 74HCU04 and did you ground ( now unused ) input pins 5, 9 and 11 with a wire ?

* use coax cable from the output of the new clock to the 74HCU04 and did you put the coax one winding through a ferrite bead/ring ?

* connect the ground of the new clock its output coax cable only at one point in the cdplayer nearest to pin 7 or ground of the 74HCU04 ? Leave the power supply floating except for this ground just mentioned.

* put the twisted supply wires of the new supply to the clock a few turns through a ferrite bead/ring ?

You see, EMI is my and your cdplayers enemy.

Hi Jean,

- I just remove crystal (x201) R227, R228 and C151
- Connect pin 5 and pin 9 of (Z206) 74HCU04 to ground or pin 7 of it.
- Disconnect pin 10 of (Z206)
-Take the out put of low jitter clock to the track which pin 10 used to go to and Clock ground to pin 7.

It works fine and I am really satisfied.

Regards.

Chlo

It’s ten days old and the CDP sounds better and better!. No problem at all!. For your infos, I just swapped in the CDM1 mk2, aluminium one from CD80 to replace the CDM4/11 plastic case, which is weak, since they are same size. Luckily, it’s worked! I like the Arcam CDP even more!

Regards,

Chlo

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!

Hi Jean-Paul,

I would really appreciate it if you could send me the Delta 70.2 schematics.

I have just purchased one of these (after your recommendation) for a bit of tweakery.

Any other tips to improve this player are also very welcome ( I did see your post that recommended soldering a copper wire under the digital filter chip to improve the grounding).

Regards,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.