How to put a clock in a Arcam delta 70.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where to mount the clock and psu?

Here's a picture of the inside of the Arcam Delta 70.2.

Anyone got suggestions on where to mount a Tent XO2 module and XO Supply?

Attachments

• inside55.jpg
    inside55.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 613
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Best place for the clock is mounting it at the backside left from the SPDIF output. Please use a metal case around it for shielding.

I don't see a possibility in this one for mounting the Tent XO supply. Till now I used a generic supply PCB with a tiny 12 V transformer, a Graetz bridge and some low ESR caps + coils. I designed this PCB for these purposes. I really hate external supplies for various reasons so I can't/won't advise you on that.

BTW the upper power transformer often hums mechanically. It stops humming when you remove the tie wraps. The cable connecting it to the analog board is too long, you can shorten it a few cm at the power pcb side.

Thanks Jean-Paul - this helps a lot.

jean-paul said:
Best place for the clock is mounting it at the backside left from the SPDIF output. Please use a metal case around it for shielding.

Maybe one of those diecast aluminium boxes - just big enough to hold the XO2 module.

jean-paul said:
I don't see a possibility in this one for mounting the Tent XO supply. Till now I used a generic supply PCB with a tiny 12 V transformer, a Graetz bridge and some low ESR caps + coils. I designed this PCB for these purposes. I really hate external supplies for various reason so I can't/won't advise you on that.

What about another small metal case attached to the outside of the rear panel and back-to-back with the XO2?
Would that be close enough not to be considered an external supply?

jean-paul said:
BTW the upper power transformer often hums mechanically. It stops humming when you remove the tie wraps.

Good tip!
Maybe this is why Farguar suggests replacing it with a torroid.

jean-paul said:
The cable connecting it to the analog board is too long, you can shorten it a few cm at the power pcb side.

And another good tip!

Any more...............?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just do it ;)

Farguar suggested to replace the transformer but I found it to be quiet when the tie wraps are removed. Nice when you're on a budget but replacing them is better. Problem is that the pinout is non-standard so replacing it for a standard type is unconvenient. Reason that I don't like that transformer is that it hums and that it becomes too warm IMO.

Fitting a toroid is more difficult to fit as the mounting screw comes very close to the mains wires/tracks on the power pcb. Too close if you ask me. I never did this in reality but with the last 70.2 I saw I thought about making a bracket on the pcb for mounting a toroid. I also thought about the toroid having an extra coil for the 12 V for the clock. When I would own a 70.2 I would probably design a new pcb for new power transformers as it can be designed in a very short time. Just some thoughts....

Best tip is probably to make a small pcb with the XO module and a small power pcb as space is tight in this cdplayer.

Carlos Filipe, I'll send you a PM, OK ?

jean-paul said:
Just do it ;)

OK - Mr. Nike!

jean-paul said:
Farguar suggested to replace the transformer but I found it to be quiet when the tie wraps are removed. Nice when you're on a budget but replacing them is better. Problem is that the pinout is non-standard so replacing it for a standard type is unconvenient. Reason that I don't like that transformer is that it hums and that it becomes too warm IMO.

Based on all of this - I will change it for one of my PCB mount encapsulated toroids - which is waiting for a nice home.

jean-paul said:
Fitting a toroid is more difficult to fit as the mounting screw comes very close to the mains wires/tracks on the power pcb. Too close if you ask me. I never did this in reality but with the last 70.2 I saw I thought about making a bracket on the pcb for mounting a toroid.

My toroid is 60mm x 60mm x 38mm - so, mounted on a small pcb with stand-offs to raise it clear of the existing transformer pcb might work.

jean-paul said:
I also thought about the toroid having an extra coil for the 12 V for the clock. When I would own a 70.2 I would probably design a new pcb for new power transformers as it can be designed in a very short time. Just some thoughts....

Would you retain the existing Digial transformer (the bigger one)?

jean-paul said:
Best tip is probably to make a small pcb with the XO module and a small power pcb as space is tight in this cdplayer.

If only I could get a small PCB from someone who has previously made these..........and who might want a SM58..........!!! :bigeyes:

I have, it's very easy.

The word clock, bit clock and data are terminated by a resistor right by the DAC. I just lifted the ends of the resistors and soldered the min coax onto them and then back to the filter board, so it's easliy reversable for comparison. Do a search for pin info.

Good luck,

Simon

Ii didn't make any changes to the filtering. Subjectively, the music became slightly more "organic" however I can't honestly say it made a huge difference.

I have another 70.2 with a tube output stage and first order HF filtering which is still oversampling which I feel is superior in almost every respect to the op-amp based one.

I'd like to compare the two more scientifically... so many mods, so little time!

Reclocking

Hi all

In the Delta 70.2 - a 74HC74 dual flip flop is use to reclock BCK going to the DAC, and the SPDIF output.

In the Delta 70.3 - a 74HC175 quad flip flop is used to reclock BCK, WS and DATA going to the DAC, and the SPDIF output.

I wonder if anyone has tried to impliment reclocking of all lines in the Delta 70.2 - as it is done in the 70.3? Maybe someone has an idea for an neat way to do this?

Schematics Arcam Delta 70.2

Hello to all.

They have been very interested from this tribune that I have acquired on Ebay a CD player Arcam delta 70,2.

I kindly ask if someone is disposed to send me the schematics of the Arcam Delta 70,2, I have no problem of space on my email:
giovanni_giovannini@tin.it

Moreover, I would like to know if someone has tried to replace the digital filter SAA7220P/B with the modification MicroClock Master of the "audio NET"
http://www.net-audio.co.uk/microclock.html.

Excuse for my English.

Thanks in order to have read to me.

Giovanni.

Hi Giovanni

Check your email :)

The Arcam Delta 70.2 is a little bit different to most other CDP's with SAA7220 - the clock is not generated at this chip. Instead, it is generated using a hex inverted (Z206) on the audioboard. This same inverter package is then used to distribute the clock to the SAA7220 and dual flip-flop (Z207) - which is used to reclock BCK on its way to the DAC (TDA1541A).

What are you trying to achieve - non-oversampling or a clock upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.