Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

'90 jvc xl-z574: often "00" TOC displayed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 08:13 PM   #11
seppstefano is offline seppstefano  Italy
diyAudio Member

ok, thanks a lot Mooly, I happen to have many "good" recordings. If I'm not wrong I've read something about a test disc on the service manual of my CD-94 (but this is another story).

To clean the lens, the mix is water and a drop of dishwasher on a cotton fioc, isn't it?
Old 11th October 2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I used to have some Sony lens fluid but that is long gone

Honestly... here is what I use... you want about 70% pure water, 30% Isopropyl and one single small drop of detergent per 10ml. Its not critical but don't overdo the detergent. One small drop in the water.

The lens should look bright and sparkly when viewed with a bright torch. Make sure the cotton bud (use good ones) is only lightly damp, not wet.

What is on the disc music wise doesn't matter. They all look the same on the scope. Just pick reputable big name labels and the vast majority of those will meet the specs easily.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the recipe! I also thought of soacking the whole lens assembly, to try dissolving dirt also under the front lens... It's so annoying that Isopropyl is almost impossible to find locally.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #14
Boydk is offline Boydk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Your JVC player uses "Optima6S" laser unit. This one, and Optima150, suffers from the same problem. They lose a small amount gain all of a sudden, when being played for some years. Only trick for both of them (except for exchanging them), is to increase the gain a little bit with the potentiometer on the laser unit itself. Try to adjust the pot a couple of millimeters clockwise (if I remember correctly. Could be CCW, it was such a long time ago) and test a CD. If not enough try a couple of mms more. I never encountered one, where I had to throw the laser away. They always worked afterwards.

Last edited by Boydk; 12th October 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thank you Boydk, I'll give a try to this, if nothing works on from elco refreshing and cleaning, and before definitely exchanging the pickup.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:25 PM   #16
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

have you cleaned the laser lens?
Old 12th October 2017, 04:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

yes, but not yet with Mooly's recipe. And I wonder whether some humidity might be layered "under" the lens...

Last edited by seppstefano; 12th October 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mooly, all, any advice on a good scope for such maintenance?

TIA,

Stefano
Old 12th October 2017, 06:35 PM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I always recommend a good traditional analogue scope for general fault finding. They are tough and don't have you guessing whether what you are seeing is some artefact of the scope or not.

A 30 Mhz dual beam type would cover pretty much any fault-finding and design work for audio.

Names to consider include Hameg, Gould, Trio, Hitachi, Tektronix
Old 13th October 2017, 08:11 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Almost OT but yesterday evening I listened to my CD94 (I bought it 2nd hand some years ago, with some tweak and TDA1541s1) to the very same tracks I had listened last time with the modded humble 574 (both via headphones out, with Beyer DT1990) and the sense of being there was greatly reduced.

I'm not saying cd94 sound was bad, but the 574 was on another level. So, I HAVE to get it fixed BTW, on the board and on the MN35502 datasheet I see 2 mylar caps on (parallel to) the outputs of the DAC and I think that next listening session on the jvc will be without them.

Then I'll consider to improve the 94 or perhaps better the philips304mkII I have lying around, by applying what I've read on the forum.

'90 jvc xl-z574: often "00" TOC displayedHide this!Advertise here!