Lack of support for Sony cd/sacd/dvd products in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having no joy at all with Sony UK and their so called service centres!
I've got a sony DVP-ns9100es dvd/sacd/cd player (modified/ reclocked etc)
sounded great!

Recently it stopped playing any discs. I spoke to various "technicians" who suggested that I try the initialisation step which didn't work and suggesting it was a failed laser etc.
I tracked down the fault to a broken ribbon cable connecting the laser to the drive unit. Having replaced this the player would play cds but nothing else. The dvd laser works, the focussing mechanism works, etc.

Long and short of the story is that I now need someone with the reference discs:

DVD reference disc:
Single Layer
TDV-520CS0 (J-2501-236-A) (NTSC) or
HLX-503 (J-6090-069-A) (NTSC) or
HLX-504 (J-6090-088-A) (NTSC)
Dual Layer
TDV-540C (J-2501-235-A) (NTSC, Opposite) or
HLX-501 (J-6090-071-A) (NTSC) or
HLX-505 (J-6090-089-A) (NTSC)
Note: Use the NTSC test disc also for PAL model.
CD reference disc:
LUV-P01 (4-999-032-01) or
YEDS-18 (3-702-101-01) or
PATD-012 (4-225-203-01)

Simple, you would think.......Having spent two months talking to the customer service centre in London, phoning loads of "service centres" and explaining at length to their "engineers" what they needed to do! I almost invariably got the response never heard of that, what are reference discs, what are they for, and even we change the lasers and don't use them!! We only deal with TVs nowadays.....

The only service centre who knew what I was talking about was an older time served engineer (actually he was one of the founders of Armstrong) who said they used to hire the discs from Pacifica and return them but that was no longer available.

Sony appear to have a record on not supporting it's high end products, E.g. sony 337esd, 227esd which have had the usual failure of the unobtainium laser.

So I now have a very expensive brick or door stop unless I can find someone with the discs! :mad:

Does anyone know of anyone with these discs in the UK? If so please contact me.

Moral of the story seems to be don't buy high end Sony products if you are planning to keep them for more the a few years!!

Last edited:
1 It's modified.
2 Your telling them what to do.
3 You don't need those discs.

If someone came to me with a modified product and told me how to do my job, I know what I'd be telling them......

Oh and Sony, Ha, most sensible people gave up on them 15+ years ago when they stopped caring about the product and came close to bankruptcy.

Sorry if this sounds nasty, it's not meant too.

1 I didn't tell them it was modified, except for the nice older guy. We had a long chat about reclocking etc and I recommended this forum to him as a great resource as he was trying to repair a technics turntable.
2 Not really, I had to explain, not tell the others what I meant as they had no clue about the discs or what they were used for!
None had the discs anyway. The conversations were nice and polite but they didn't know about or have the discs. I'm always polite when asking for help.

3 That's an /the interesting point. could you please explain how I set the laser up without the reference discs?
I've tried running the relevant diagnostic section using standard discs but to no avail.

Sony were once a great company but sadly not any more. I had a lot of admiration for Akio Morita. The company fell apart when the bean counters took over and forgot about the wider meaning of Quality.

I'm sorry if the frustration was too obvious in my original post but that's natural. I am happy to have people help me out.

.......could you please explain how I set the laser up without the reference discs?
I've tried running the relevant diagnostic section using standard discs but to no avail...............

That to me then, sounds like the Laser is faulty.
Do you mean that the Test sequence gives a 'failure' reading when complete? If so, then it points to the Laser being unable to read the disc correctly. It's of an age where I would expect this to be so.

When I worked for a Sony ASC (independent though) we didn't have ''the Discs''. We were forced to have to pay for them, even as an ASC, and at close to £100GBP each it was felt by the manager to be not worth it when a good, clean, known 'ordinary' Disc would suffice.
I always managed to set up the replacement Laser with these 'ordinary' discs.

The fact that yours plays CD but not DVD's again points to a failing Laser. There will be two Diodes, one for CD's one for DVD's. One will be faulty I suspect.
Does it still play Single Layered DVD's (from your own collection !) ? They're Silver in colour, like CD's whereas Dual Layered DVD's are Golden in colour. These are often more difficult for a failing Laser to read.

P.

Percival007

Thanks for the response.

I am hoping the laser isn't dead but would be prepared to have someone replace it but no-one seems to be able to do that.

I do't think the laser has failed because

1 Both laser switch on and off in the diagnostic mode, the DVD laser appears much brighter as more of it is in the visible spectrum.

2 The fault occurred suddenly and I found the broken ribbon cable but not before I managed to reset all the data!!

I will try some other dvds and see if I can reset the laser as you suggested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.