Cambridge Audio DVD89, no digital out...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
I recently purchase ca dvd89 from ebay. Apart of non working display play sacd, cd and dvd fine via analog output. Today I wanted to connect that CA CXN via digital (ether optical or coaxial) but no music. I try all option in setting on a dvd but still nothing. Also optical outon dvd should shine red light but this one doesn’t. Is the any trick to turn on digital ?
Thanks for any help

SACD digital out explained

You cannot get digital output of SACD over S/PDIF--it's against the standard as copy protection is very limited through S/PDIF*. There's only two ways to get digital output from SACD.
i. Firewire/i.Link--early players that had digital output via firewire were fairly rare. DSD-over-firewire works but only with older gear. Very few players and even fewer receivers had support for this. Furthermore almost all AVRs that do support it (and some players) convert the DSD to PCM anyway, which is basically counter-productive when it comes to SACD.

ii. HDMI. DSD can also be transmitted over HDMI but again there's not too many AVRs that can decode it. Some newer Sony BD players (and early 1st gen versions of the PS3) can transmit SACD as PCM over HDMI by deocding the DSD internally and outputting as PCM. Again this isn't really ideal but it's only way some players will output SACD digitally.

*The primary reason digital output is not allowed over S/PDIF is copyright/DRM concerns. The secondary reason, as to why one might not want to output digitally, is conversion to PCM. DSD-->PCM-->Analog is less desirable than just going DSD-->Analog, which is what most SACD players will do internally when ouputting via analog connection.

There are only two AVRs I know of that are completely DSD in nature. These are the STR-DA7100ES and the TA-DA9100ES (the latter is technically an integrated amp and not an AVR). Every input coming into these receivers is converted into DSD as that is what the S-Master Pro "Digital Drive" amplifiers work on. They have HDMI but will only accept DSD-native over an i.Link connection becaue their HDMI version is before DSD was allowed on HDMI. There could be others and Sony may have also had some mini/component/HTIB type players which had an a "pure DSD" S-Master design, but those are the only two separate components I know of that are DSD-->output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.