CD player cannot access laser mini pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried turning it the other way, no joy. It doesn't play the only CD it did before so I suspect it's gone completely. Can't see how to tell whether the laser is shining at all because it will only power if the cover is on and a cd is over the top of it.

Yes, that's correct, the whole system is ST-CA1080E-K and the CD player is SL-CA1060.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the laser on ebay. Wouldn't I have to adjust it if were able to fit it myself which would beyond me.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Laser power is a preset and factory set adjustment that should normally never need altering.

I really worry that you are going to spend money on this and still not get a working player at the end of it all.

The laser is typically lit for the first moments when it tries to focus on a disc (even though none is present) during the time the lens moves up and down a few times. Seeing light doesn't actually tell you anything about the power of it. A failed laser can still emit red light as it still partly functions as a side emitting LED, even though lasing action is not present.

Simon , with respect , i agree with Mooly , for the money and stress attempting to fix something that tbh seems to have reached the end of it's working life i think it's time to move on.
There are always loads of Technics separate cd players of that era on ebay , they do seem to be a brand that age well and some are well respected in terms of sound quality.
As discussed on the other thread they will work with your system and you would still have the Technics ' house ' sound.
In the early days of cd Technics ' Mash' players were the first ones i could live with and enjoy compared to vinyl.

SL-PG 480 and 490's can be found for GBP 20-40 from sellers in the real world GBP 1000 from those that think anything old and electronic automatically makes it vintage/retro/rare and valuable:D

Last edited:
I totally agree, I've wasted too much time on it already. I've put a bid in on the same cd player and tape deck on ebay for £1 plus £10 postage, one day left and no other bidders. Says it skips if you tap the top or knock where it's sitting but I don't intend to tap the top or knock the table it's on, so worth a chance for £11 that's if I get it. The next step if I don't get it or that fails is to buy a new one, seems to be too much of a chance with second hand ones, although not really not sure what to look for, is £170 one any good considering the age of the system, compared to a £300 one?

Any cd is going to skip if knocked except as Mooly said before the ones with ' antishock ' mechs which read ahead but even these have their limits.
It's a concern that the seller is making a big deal about this , two reasons ... it's faulty and he knows it ( remember he mentioned ' if knocked against the workbench' , does this mean he's someone who thinks he's an 'expert but isn't and can't fix so is avoiding comebacks by stating this ? )
Or he's just knocked it and it skipped so again he's making sure no comebacks by mentioning it.
As always it's a gamble , personally i'd avoid that one .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.