Challenge: Debug my SPDIF waveform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good idea about insulating the oscillator, that may work for any DAC clock.

When I worked in instrumentation an 'oven controlled' oscillator was the norm for the test and measurement instruments - I think the little box kept itself a constant temperature inside. In our case I suspect the actual temperature is less relevant than keeping it steady.

I may have a look inside my Ultramatch as that re-times the signal (prior to upsampling) and apply the same mod.

> I think the little box kept itself a constant temperature inside. In our case I suspect the actual temperature is less relevant than keeping it steady.

Yeah, there's a heater which keeps the temperature constant, that keeps the frequency very accurate at the cost of ... well, size, heating power, cost... and absolute accuracy is useless for audio, only phase noise...

You can get a TCXO which is basically an VCXO where the tuning is controlled from a temperature sensor, so it will correct its own temperature variations. Since we don't care about absolute accuracy, TCXO is just a XO with one spec improved (accuracy/long term stability which we don't care about) at the cost of a little bit more phase noise thrown in by the temperature compensation circuit, so again, useless.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.