Playstation as CD-player

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to identify the playstation model SCPH1000 from a photo?

Lostcause said:

I easily picked up 2, one from ebay by just asking the seller, and the second from the small ads...damn cheap too.
It appears that it's only the Germans that are hiking their prices up...at the moment anyway!

I went into my local "GAME" store. I asked if they had any old Playstations and they said they had dozens in the back which they had taken in part exchange over the years. I got the feeling that they had quite a few, though I specified I wanted only one with RCA's.

Worth trying ?

Hi @all,
i had a little bit of time the last days so i could work a little bit at my PS. I have 6 new Laserunits here. On 5 units the distance between CD clamp and motor is 0,3 mm. Only at one KSM 440 BAM the distance is 0,6 mm. Why ? Because i have a metal clamp. It depens on what metal clamp you have. At my clamp with no holes 0,3 mm it not possible. If you have a clamp with the big holes, or the plastic clamp than 0,3 mm is right.
Than i checked my Bias and Gain Adjust : Values : Bias 1,56 Gain 1,76 V. Now i tryed all units with a verry problematic CD. I know that if the PS is able to play the last tracks of this CD she will play all other CD's too. All laserunits haven't had any problem with the CD.Than i tryed other CD's with same results !
I than measured the lasergain and the results are :

Laserunit AAM 11,4 mV
Laserunit ACM 24,4 mV
Laserunit ADM 24,4 mV
Laserunit BAM 11,4 mV

I was verry bemused because i had one laserunit ACM with 24,4 mV and one with 11,4 mV. ??????????
Than i saw it !!! The lable on the laserunit with 11,4 mV was a fake !!! I saw the guide of the unit is made of plastik !! So the unit is a AAM unit with wrong lable !!! I looked at the HP www.playfidelity.com and i acknowledged my presumption. Look at the pictures below. So my first statment zhaz all units with short kopper cable have 11,4 mV Gain is wrong ! The correct values are shown above.

Attachments

• aam_b1klein.jpg
    aam_b1klein.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,282
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to identify the playstation model SCPH1000 from a photo?

jives11 said:

I went into my local "GAME" store. I asked if they had any old Playstations and they said they had dozens in the back which they had taken in part exchange over the years. I got the feeling that they had quite a few, though I specified I wanted only one with RCA's.

Worth trying ?

Got to be worth a try jives, though they will probably want more than an unsuspecting e-bayer......no harm in asking though?

Lee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to identify the playstation model SCPH1000 from a pho

Lostcause said:

Got to be worth a try jives, though they will probably want more than an unsuspecting e-bayer......no harm in asking though?

Lee

I was charged £9.97 (!?) for an SCPH 1002 + one controller + UHF connector. I got the feeling that the price was made up at the descretion on the local store manager

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to identify the playstation model SCPH1000 from a pho

jives11 said:

I was charged £9.97 (!?) for an SCPH 1002 + one controller + UHF connector. I got the feeling that the price was made up at the descretion on the local store manager

Not that bad really, it's about what I paid...in fact both of mine were more including the delivery costs.
Nice one!
£9.97!!!...Salesmen! If he'd said a tenner you would have taken it anyway!

Lee

Hi

Both my 1002 PS1 playstations seem to have bits missing
from the central spindle. It seems to be a habit of Sony Units
with ball bearing clamps to shed bit of plastic. How critical
is it? They seem very light bits of material and I wonder
how badly spindle balance is upset. Otherwise tracking on
both units seems good. At AUD$39 each they did not break the bank.

Regards

AnthonyPT

Attachments

• ps1_1002_missing edge.jpg
    ps1_1002_missing edge.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,121
Mine has broken bits, but on a gear(the biggest of them moving the track on the pickup) and I can just play a part of the CD because on the exact place where the teeth are missing, it becomes stuck. The motor used to move the pickup starts spinning really fast and nothing happens.

Could someone that has a spare broken transport send me the gear in question?

Antoine,

I got a SCPH-5502 yesterday and I just can just play the first half of the CD. The frame of the transport is broken. I tried to fix it with super glue, but w/o success. Now I have to order a new KSM-440 ADM transport.

I have ALO old KSM-440 AAM transports with worn out Laser unit sledges, too. Do you think if a conversion of one of the AAMs to an ADM with the Laser unit sledge of the ADM makes sense?

Thomas

Adjusting Gain and Bias

Domenico (see Post #463) measured the lasergain and the results were:

Laserunit AAM 11.4 mV
Laserunit ACM 24.4 mV
Laserunit ADM 24.4 mV
Laserunit BAM 11.4 mV

The bias is generally set in the range of 1.56 - 1.70 V, as is the gain in the range of 1.76 - 1.85 V. No problem so far, bcs. I´ve adjusted the KSM-440 BAM drive units after replacement so far with a bias of 1.68 - 1.70 V and a gain of 1.80 - 1.82 V.

My first playstation SCPH-1002 was luckily equipped with a KSM-440 ACM drive. It was playing every kind of CD perfectly so far. Thus I never replaced nor modded any part of it.

I replaced ALO worn out laserunits and the adjusted drives never equaled the performance of my first playstation. I use a constant sample of critical CDs to test the adjustments and there is always one CD left, which was refused by every other playstation with the exception of the first one. After reading Domenico´s post I wondered if the well-known values are accurate. Thus I measured it for the first time and was amazed:

lasergain [ACM] 9.2 mV
bias 1.83 V
gain 1.78 V

There is no mistake, the gain is higher than the bias ! And the lasergain is much below the claimed 24.4 mV !

Ooops, do I have to call back all playstations I fixed so far ?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
please have a look on the Lasertransport of your ACM. In my post i discribed that there a fakes which are labeled ACM but have a plastik transport. See my attached pictures on past posts.
If your transport works with 9,2 mV and the discribed Gain and Bias o.k. I will try it with a transport and will report if the sound is changing. Because if you have a Laserbias of 9,2 mV you have to highten the Bias, so the Lense is nearer to the CD. Maybe you get an other sound.

I measured the Lasergain on new transports.

Buy the way, last friday i received a new BAM unit (from EBAY )with Gain 24,4 mV. It works good !!

BR Domenico

Adjusting Gain and Bias

Dear Domenico,

thank you for replying to my post.

My first SCPH-1002 is mint. This is the list of the identification numbers of the stages:

SCPH-1002 PAL
Serial-Nr. C6122782

Mainboard 1-658-467-22
DAC AKM AK4309VM
Laser unit KSM-440 ACM
PSU 1-473-383-12

FWIW I recorded the data of every playstation I fixed.

The SCPH-1002 with the alternate values is working fine, better than any other ps I have hold so far. I am curious what you will find out with the alternate values as described.

lasergain 9.2 mV
bias 1.83 V
gain 1.78 V

Kind regards,
Thomas