Playstation as CD-player

PlayStation skips

I bought a playstation did the minimum of mods to create a fine cd player. It plays wonderful until we reach track 5/6 and further it starts skipping like mad.
First I thought it a....

Copy problem
Dirt
Heat

But the powersupply is outside the grey box
The problem stay with commercial discs
And even when I use brand new and clean discs

Could this stil be calibration issue because it plays good until midway?

When I fixed this problem I will try the rest of the mods.:)

... It plays wonderful until we reach track 5/6 and further it starts skipping like mad.

I've had several different PSone units, some had this same issue.
My solution was to replace the laser unit.
Perhaps bias/gain adjustment would help.
I believe it's more likely this to be a mecanical problem with the unit. I did one bias adjustment for one of these but it didn't 100% solve it.
I just used the best laser unit I had. (one from a newer Psone, adapted).
I don't trust ordering a new one from ebay right now.

playback issues...

Is it a SCHP100X model?

I bought a playstation did the minimum of mods to create a fine cd player. It plays wonderful until we reach track 5/6 and further it starts skipping like mad.
First I thought it a....

Copy problem
Dirt
Heat

But the powersupply is outside the grey box
The problem stay with commercial discs
And even when I use brand new and clean discs

Could this stil be calibration issue because it plays good until midway?

When I fixed this problem I will try the rest of the mods.:)

I think the first question should be whether or not you have cleaned the lens? Then follow ceteras' advice:

I've had several different PSone units, some had this same issue. My solution was to replace the laser unit. Perhaps bias/gain adjustment would help. I believe it's more likely this to be a mecanical problem with the unit. I did one bias adjustment for one of these but it didn't 100% solve it. I just used the best laser unit I had. (one from a newer Psone, adapted). I don't trust ordering a new one from ebay right now.

Is it a SCHP-100X model? There are alignment issues that should be considered as well. I have over 10 SCHP-1001 players and have tested them all. To me the most likely culprit, after ensuring that the laser lens is clean is one of laser alignment, although I have never had issue with it. If once aligned, and the problem persists, then a new (or used) laser may be required.

Even the most basic mods can result in a very good player. If you are not comfortable doing the mods you can cheat a little and just use the AV output (using the AV to RCA cable as supplied by Sony)

Just in comparison, I have an old (but still good sounding Pioneer "Elite" PD54 cd player. The SCHP1001 with only the first cap removal mod is at least on par with it. I know of some who have compared a PS1 to a Wadia player and preferred the SCHP100X to it.

Xerxes:once you get a working SCHP-100X take your time. The results are worth it.

The resistor is only to filter low frequences. You don´t need a resistor if you want to listen what is on your CD.

Hello, I am not Manfred, but he is a good friend of mine. We discussed the resistor a couple of days ago, that's why I knew what happened to you.
You said you have got a Tube Amp, so Mick's solution is perfekt for tubed amp's. Some tube amp's doesen't like to much incoming power.

Hi all,

I'm about to make the Mick's "Modification of the audio output stage" on my PS1, I already have the Wima 3,3uF 50v capacitors, but I have a few doubts:

My amp is a Primaluna Prologue 2 (tube amp) with an input impedance of 65kOhm!

. Do I realy need to use the ground resistors? If yes, are the 22k (1%) ok to the 65kOhm impedance?

. What power rating shall I use for the resistor?

Thanks,

Hi!

I m new to this community and i wanted to share my modification with you as it sounds fantastic!

I m not using Mr. Manfred's output solution as i like to use the opamps, so
i tried the best opamps but i ended up using discrete dual's.

If you want to go that route them you must make an external power supply with +/- 12, 15, 18 or more voltage for the opamps only.
I m using big paper in oil and silver in oil capacitors before and after the opamps!
I hope this shematic will help someone ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I compared my PS1 with Meridian Karan Shanling AudioAlchemy Asus Xonar Phillips Unison and other dac/cd players and you can guess what sounded best to ME :cool:

Greetings from Serbia.

Last edited:
Ok, Now I can assure you that Mick's Mod is a GREAT MOD for my setup! Thanks Mick!

I've been using for years one 5502 with RCA females connected to the multiAV pins of the motherboard's back, and the sound was not bad for sure!

This month I got a second 5502 and it was time to do the final mod to the output stage, i've done some research and found that Mick's mod is simple (I like simple audio paths) and makes sense...

My amp is a Primaluna Prologue 2 with an input impedance of 65kOhm, and Mick's solution is giving me: 16,4kOhm Total impedance / 2,93Hz Cutoff frequency

I've used:
2x Wima 3,3uF 50v capacitors
2x 22kOhm 1% 600mW resistors
Solid copper wire twisted twin from cat5/6 cable (shielded wire gives sound coloration...)

Compared to my multiAV mod it's now evident that Mick's Mod is giving me some big improvements:
- a wider and well defined soundstage;
- better instruments separation;
- better dynamic

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.