Playstation as CD-player

Please help - getting distortion

Hi,
I tried Mick's mod replacing the output stage. And now the music is all distorted in the high frequencies, no bass, and the volume is very low. I'm using 3.3 uF caps at 50V (Wifa. Same as Mick) and 22 Ohm resistors at 4W. Is the wattage on the resistors to high? In the step by step instructions by Mich, he doesn't show were to cut the third connection to the RCA. May it be that I've missed the third cut? Does someone know were that might be? Please help.:confused:

Hi,
I am using passive preamp Sonus Qualitas pvvm1. I modded a SCHP-5552 today and made a bypass as described by Mick Feuerbacher. I am using 10uF capacistors and 4,02Kohm resistors. I believed that the caps would eliminate the DC from the AKM, but nope. I have tested with a buffered preamp with decouplers and that sounds good. What must I do?
Hi,
I went yesterday to DIY heaven in Stockholm ELFA and bought F&T bipolar 100uF, 100Volt capacitors and 100kOhm resistors. I replaced the installed 10uF MKP caps and the 4,02 resistors. I used a buffered preamp to test the initial solution and it worked ok but efter the modification to bipolar caps and 100kOhm resistors it was possible to connect the schp-5552 to my passive preamp. I am using a inner tube from a wheel cart to isolate the PS1 from vibrations. Now the soundstage is detailed and has a lot of depth.

@danDman

Unsolder at first the resistor and try again. Can you upload some pictures?

What scph version have you got?

Thank you for such quick reply. I unsoldered the resistors and now it works fine! I have scph 1002. So should I get a resistor with lower values and try again, or should I just leave it as it is, with no connection to the ground signal? The picture is from before I disconnected the resistors.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,
I went yesterday to DIY heaven in Stockholm ELFA and bought F&T bipolar 100uF, 100Volt capacitors and 100kOhm resistors. I replaced the installed 10uF MKP caps and the 4,02 resistors. I used a buffered preamp to test the initial solution and it worked ok but efter the modification to bipolar caps and 100kOhm resistors it was possible to connect the schp-5552 to my passive preamp. I am using a inner tube from a wheel cart to isolate the PS1 from vibrations. Now the soundstage is detailed and has a lot of depth.
Unfortunately there is still up to + - 6mV DC coming through. Can someone explain how I can get rid of it? I am using a ground isolator now until I understand how to fully eliminate DC from the output.

Thank you for such quick reply. I unsoldered the resistors and now it works fine! I have scph 1002. So should I get a resistor with lower values and try again, or should I just leave it as it is, with no connection to the ground signal? The picture is from before I disconnected the resistors.

The resistor is only to filter low frequences. You don´t need a resistor if you want to listen what is on your CD.

by the way, why did you do the feuerbacher solution? Have you got a tube amplifier? The Playstation has now 0.8Volt´s output in you solution. Otherwise it is not necessary.

I have really nice results with just swapping the smd resistors. Output eff

have a look here: 21er - 22er - 23er Board 1,7Veff. Output Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

just swap the 18K OHM resistors to 27 - 28 K Ohm´s.

Unfortunately there is still up to + - 6mV DC coming through. Can someone explain how I can get rid of it? I am using a ground isolator now until I understand how to fully eliminate DC from the output.

How do you measure? And what did you do?

you need a CD with an 1000Hz Sound (play it) and measure AC (not DC) at the RCA output to ground.

Thank you for your answer. This is my first test and I decided to try with a 5552 unit and the Feurbacher solution. I have 2 units of schp-1002 that is waiting. I normally play with my old Thorens TD126 or FLAC through the Logitech Transporter but could not resist trying after a friend brought a Playstation with him and gave me a big surprise.
Last night I realized that DC escaped to ground through the resistor so I removed it.
I swapped to old ERO MKC1860-5280 caps with 6,8uF. I have an input with 715ohm on the passive preamp and it gives me a cut off frequency of 3,2Hz. The passive preamp is followed by a 2x8 DSP with 30k Ohm. It now works and sounds very nice. Why should I measure AC on the RCA output?

@danDman

Hello, I am not Manfred, but he is a good friend of mine. We discussed the resistor a couple of days ago, that's why I knew what happened to you.
You said you have got a Tube Amp, so Mick's solution is perfekt for tubed amp's. Some tube amp's doesen't like to much incoming power.

Question about PS-1 (1001) sound. I have modified two PS-1's. In each I modified the output stage (Re dog breath mods) useing Elna Silmic 2 caps and Neotech hook up wire and silver bearing solder. I also recapped the PS with Nichicon caps Both have 300-500 hrs of use. I'm happy with the sound. BUT, they don't sound ANALOG anymore. Could the caps or the hook up wire be the cause?

Regards,
Marvin

Hookup wire affecting sound?

Marvin,

Question about PS-1 (1001) sound. I have modified two PS-1's. In each I modified the output stage (Re dog breath mods) useing Elna Silmic 2 caps and Neotech hook up wire and silver bearing solder. I also recapped the PS with Nichicon caps Both have 300-500 hrs of use. I'm happy with the sound. BUT, they don't sound ANALOG anymore. Could the caps or the hook up wire be the cause?

Over the years I have found that different conductor materials, dielectrics, and geometries (as in single strand solid core, multi-strand, etc) have a profound effect on the sound. Silver conductors can sound very "fast" (although they aren't fast, but they seem to get out of the way and perturb the electric field less), as does Teflon dielectric. Try some regular stranded (small gauge) copper wire and compare (you have two that are identically wired so a comparison would be easy).

I think you may find that copper sounds more "analog" compared to silver. This is just an observation though. I know there are plenty who would digress. The same can be said of solid core vs. stranded wire.

My favourite wire is a very cheap and good wire, sometimes sold at RadioShack: 30 gauge stranded silver plated Kynar. A pretty good compromise, it sounds "quick" and clean, yet retains the copper characteristics. About $10 per 100'. I've used it in tonearms, interconnects and signal carrying internal wiring in diy projects. I have never felt the want to change.

Last edited:
Hi Nanook,
the less mass I have, the less there are inductions.
Therefore, I use defined thin cable with a large surface area.
0.14 mm ² / 2 x 72 x 0.05 see picture.
26 Ohm / 1 Km
Greetings Cochise

Attachments

• DSC00346.JPG
    DSC00346.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 621

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 634
  • Externes Netzteil - Playstation 1 - SCPH1002.jpg