Playstation as CD-player

Well, if you're going to do that, why not just design and build your own DAC using the AK4309AV instead of using a PS1? You could connect a S/PDIF receiver to the I2S input of the AK4309 with a clean output stage, but you're better off building your own DAC.

You make it sound so easy, haha! I would but I have no idea what I am doing... actually, lets give it a go anyway!
Could I just find a S/PDIF to I2S circuit (maybe using the CS8416 Puffin suggested), going into a AK4309 (or could I possibly have several in parallel?), then going straight to RCA out? or would I need to put the through something first? The Playstation mod uses this, but I read you can just use transformers and you get a better signal? I'm guessing the post DAC stage amplifies the signal?
What would I need in terms of power supply?

The CS8406 converts I2S output into S/PDIF. The obsoleted Toshiba part does the same thing, but I know the CS8406 can resample. I used a CS8405A, back in 2006 to do the I2S to S/PDIF conversion on the Gamecube as well as the hard to find obsoleted Toshiba part. It never worked no matter what I tried, I got frustrated, and since I had a working converter using the obsoleted Toshiba part, I never bothered to try to get it working with the CS8405A. I think the hackers copied my idea, lol, only using the newer part that can support up to 192kHz sampling rate with less power consumption.

Attached is the original schematic designed by oscar, a Japanese fellow who figured out the video D/A converter inside the Gamecube D-Terminal and component video cable can output RGB as well as YPrPb, and this meant that when certain games were booted in 480p mode, you can display the game on a VGA monitor. I build the circuit in the schematic and it works beautifully.

So I can run that circuit in reverse for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, and maybe use a CS8416 instead of what I presume is a CS8406?

Also, I found a DAC using the TDA1541 and the CS8416 on pavouk.org, here. Could I use something like this except use AK4309's instead?
There was also just circuitry for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, here.

Last edited:
I suppose if you are taking a dig out, you would be best to use a later version of the CS Digital Audio Receiver (CS8416)?

The difference between the ICs are here, but the older one might be obsoleted.

You make it sound so easy, haha! I would but I have no idea what I am doing... actually, lets give it a go anyway!
Could I just find a S/PDIF to I2S circuit (maybe using the CS8416 Puffin suggested), going into a AK4309 (or could I possibly have several in parallel?), then going straight to RCA out? or would I need to put the through something first? The Playstation mod uses this, but I read you can just use transformers and you get a better signal? I'm guessing the post DAC stage amplifies the signal?
What would I need in terms of power supply?

I don't really know what I'm doing either. I'm going through engineering school, but they really don't teach much analog when it comes to electrical engineering programs these days. I'd go by an application circuit if you can find it, and use the modified output stage. You can go by the schematic of the power supply of the link to the DAC you posted, and make a variation of that. Most people want the CD player functionality, I guess, of the PS1, and maybe that could be why they don't design a standalone DAC. The AK4309 is only capable of sampling rates up to around 50kHz, so maybe that's why I never found a project on google.

So I can run that circuit in reverse for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, and maybe use a CS8416 instead of what I presume is a CS8406?

Also, I found a DAC using the TDA1541 and the CS8416 on pavouk.org, here. Could I use something like this except use AK4309's instead?

You definitely could, I'd rather build a standalone design anyway.

There was also just circuitry for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, here.

This will accomplish the task if you wanted to use the PS1 with modified output stage.

When I build and design a project, I use perforated PCBs, with a grid of holes and pads on the other side. I never really tried using PCB software. If you do that you have a problem with surface mounted parts. You'll need to get SMT to through hole adapters. I use them all the time.

Also, attached is the datasheet I got faxed to me years ago for the old TC9231N. It's a multipage tiff file, so make sure to view it a viewer that will show all 15 pages.

Attachments

• Fax00000001.zip
    146.2 KB · Views: 105
For a lot of User's this PS is first choice for CD - that is here very special?

Unfortunately I haven't time to read this thread carefully and completely.
Therefore the stupid question:
What special features are inside here for better sound quality for PCM Audio compared with typical Audio CD Player?

Maybe a reference resp. an indication to the relevant postings I would highly appreciate.

Last edited:
Tief. I hope I can sum up the reason for this thread in a few words. I can only speak for me, but the attraction was :-
1. Can be bought for as little as £5 ($10) from ebay or similar.
2. They were never intended to be serious CD players.
3. In relation to 2. above, they sound better than anyone would have expected.
4. They can be tweaked to give better results and if you kill one, there is always another available to buy.
5. For me it was a bit of fun that is surprisingly good to listen to.

enuman: I'm going to have to put this on hold for two weeks (exams), but thanks for the help! I think I'll use the circuit you found by the Japanese fellow, going to the DAC and modified output stage of the Playstation, and I will be using blank PCB, but I just thought that circuit might be useful. I'm going to assume SDATA=DATA, and BICK=BCK, because I can't find and other matching pins on the TOSlink circuitry, or am I wrong? The only info on the AK4309AVM I could find is here. Would the SDATA, BICK, LRCK, AOUTR & AOUTL pins be the only one I'd need to connect, or would I have to connect a powersource somewhere? I have no idea how to work two AK4309AVM in a differential mode, but I guess for that I should be migrating to the DAC section of the site, haha, but that's a plan for another day. See you soon!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

I'm going to assume SDATA=DATA, and BICK=BCK, because I can't find and other matching pins on the TOSlink circuitry, or am I wrong?

You are correct. One thing I'd like to clarify is the format. The TC9231N seems to only accept the EIA-J format. I remember reading this format is similar to I2S except the word clock is inverted. Every schematic I've seen using this IC for modification on video game consoles, the word clock is always inverted with a logic IC. This is always the case. So I'm guessing, whoever originally came up with the schematic knew the word clock had to be inverted.

Secondly, the DIT4096 and the CS8406 only support 4 audio formats in hardware mode. They are left justified 24 bit, I2S, right justified 24 bit and right justified 16 bit. On here, I have seen two schematics using the DIT4096 for adding S/PDIF output on Sony CD players. In both schematics, the DIT4096 was configured for right justified 16 bit. The modifications I see using the CS8406 with video game consoles have the CS8406 configured for 16 bit right justified, for the Dreamcast, Saturn, and SNES. I haven't found the schematic for using the CS8406 with the Gamecube, so I wouldn't know how it would be configured. I'd say the same, 16 bit right justified, as well as for the PSX. I do know that for XM radios using the STA450 decoder, if you would interface a DIT4096 to it's PCM output, it would have to be configured for I2S. Interfacing the DIT4096 to the Gamecube with my own tests configured for I2S did not work, I remember I only got one channel output. In hindsight, I think I should have set it for 16 bit right justified.

Would the SDATA, BICK, LRCK, AOUTR & AOUTL pins be the only one I'd need to connect, or would I have to connect a powersource somewhere? I have no idea how to work two AK4309AVM in a differential mode, but I guess for that I should be migrating to the DAC section of the site, haha, but that's a plan for another day. See you soon!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

You'd need more, but I not sure what the application circuit should be if you were to build it standalone.

Last edited:
Orientation of caps + - to soldering pads.

Question concerning soldering in caps. I've done the output stage mod and it works fine. But I'm not sure of the orientation of the caps. Which lead should go to pad 15 and 16? The longer (+) or shorter (-)? Presently the longer (+) are solder to the pads.

Thanks much.
Marvin

Why do we do it

Tief. I hope I can sum up the reason for this thread in a few words. I can only speak for me, but the attraction was :-
1. Can be bought for as little as £5 ($10) from ebay or similar.
2. They were never intended to be serious CD players.
3. In relation to 2. above, they sound better than anyone would have expected.
4. They can be tweaked to give better results and if you kill one, there is always another available to buy.
5. For me it was a bit of fun that is surprisingly good to listen to.

Absolutely ... it's one up for the little man!

George

The best mod is to separate the AVDD and DVDD of DAC. The next thing is to upgrade the local decoupling of DAC and to replace the original output just with a cap and two resistors. One resistor (200R - 800R) between DAC and output cap (2,2 - 3,3uF) and one resistor from output cap to gnd (47k - 220k).

If you want to play a little bit more, you can upgrade original PSU or replace it with a new one.

I dismount and hired all the pins on the board of the IR, so you can put everything inside the box.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If this information is posted somewhere else, please point me the right direction - but -

I want to go from A to B with as little of the stuff between as possible for installation in a custom chassis. I have seen similar mods but none with these exact parts.

If scrapping it all and buying some other modules is a better solution, I'm also fine with that. My goal is to have a small window in the front of the chassis driven by IR codes learned/transferred to a Universal Remote.

20120712_131721.jpg

SR670 PSU AC caps

There are two (2) large rectangular caps at the ac inlet. They are labeled as such; 0.1uF 250V~X2. What does the X2 mean? Yeah I know, stupid question, but I'm at least looking for a intelligent answer. What would I replace them with. Would a WIMA MPK 10 0.1uF 250V work?

Regards,
Marvin:mad: