Playstation as CD-player

Dan. Thanks for that. I have a 1002 which I tried in stock form and thought it was rubbish. I then modded it by taking the signal out, straight off the pads by pins 15 & 16 and addings caps and resistors and new phono sockets. Wow what a difference. if the PSU takes it to another level again, then it is worth the outlay.

Battery Power

Hello Dommi
Yes i am very interrested in using battery power for PS1
since this is the purest power possible
I think after reading these 61 pages on this thread
There was very little information about it Infact the only info i found was that batt power is not suitable for PS1 Maybe i missed something
Now I believe a lot of people would like to now how you are doing it
How do you get the 7.6 and 3.6 volts required and how are you charging the batt
I visited your site and did not find info about it

By the way I purchased 2 more Ps and measured the laser
The values are like you explaned 1.46 to 1.48 for bias and around 1.80 for gain
Thanks for the info

Greetz and enjoy

Hi chips666,

Have thought about battery power with
regulators and decent amount of reserve
capacitance. Maybe a 12volt 7ah battery
would give a reasonable operating time
between charges.

I have recently installed a BAM (PSONE)
grey laser assembly. Did not have to tweak
it just had to modify the SCPH1002 case and it
seems very articulate and I like the sound.
Perhaps the BAM's history of running in the little
PSONe without having to deal with the power
supply in the same case may be an advantage.
Must move the power board outside the PS1
but for now have a copper dam between the
boards so not so much heat reaches the
laser assembly area. Either external power or get
on and convert the thing to run on the gel cell.

Regards

AnthonyPT

Re: Battery Power

Hi chips
it`s verry easy to use a battery for power supply. Take a 12 V minimum 7 AH lead akku. Use a simple voltageregulator like LM317 an regulate the 7,6 V power. With a second regulator on the output of the 7,6 V regulate the 3,2 V. With a 4 pole switch you can switch of the charger an switch on the PS1 and vice versa. I don`t had the time to discribe it on my homepage. But in a few weeks i think it will be there. I can switch between battery and norm pwr. with a relay. So i can make a direkt A/B comparison.The sound with battery supply is much better than ac supply. The music is much calmer than with ac power. With ac power sometimes the voice and the instruments seemed to move some centimeters. Now, with battery, there are still on the same place. And thanks for measurement of the laser powers. Do you have problems reading any kind of cd with this values ?

regards Dommi
chips666 said:
By the way I purchased 2 more Ps and measured the laser
The values are like you explaned 1.46 to 1.48 for bias and around 1.80 for gain
Thanks for the info

Greetz and enjoy [/B]

Mick_F. I have been looking at the details of the Linear PSU on your site. I am not very good at reading schematics and I wonder if you can clarify the detials of the bridge rectifier.

On the two 7.6v boards you have 4 TO220's grouped together, they look like voltage regulators, but are they diodes ?

Puffin, I beleive those are the MSR860 diodes, however I couldn't easily get hold of any over here and so I went for the MULTICOMP
SB560 schotty instead (someone else tried several and this came out ontop) , available from farnell without newark extra duty (what a rip off!)

I'll get onto those pics as soon as possible.

Well, im sure you know us audio types! If its a standard part and not expensive, it probably wont do!

Joking aside, im sure that a better quality and faster recovery / soft recovery bridge rectifier leads to an overall higher quality power supply - I'll hand it over to the more experienced guys to exlain why / elaborate on it (im starting my power engineering degree in september, so ask me again in 4 years and I'm sure I'll be able to tell you the ins and outs!)

Dan

Puffin said:

On the two 7.6v boards you have 4 TO220's grouped together, they look like voltage regulators, but are they diodes ?

Of course. These are the rectifier diodes.
You can use a standard bridge if you whish, but my experience shows that it is good for the sound to use soft recovery diodes, and I made particularly good experiences with the MSR860

Mick

Right, after having found a source of nice wooden cases and having seen pics of the dynastation I have abandoned my silly plan to give it a tray loading drive. I am rather inexperienced with electronics, but would like a working and somewhat modded machine fairly soon, so I think I shall leave building a custom power supply for now.

I have a few questions I was hoping that somebody might answer. First of all I am going to use the device with relatively cheap speakers, a set of ~£170 Logitech Z-5500s, so there are probably some mods that would simply not be worthwhile for me to perform.

Would using a good quality computer PSU with some modifications be viable for the playstation. Presumably some of the enthusiast and overclocker models which feature active PFC must provide pretty clean power?

Is it worth trying to replace components like caps on the system board?

Would good quality shielded mic/speaker wire be likely to handle the current from the PSU? My local Maplin has some, but they don't have any specs for it?

I went to a wood yard and asked if they could make well finished one off boxes to spec. I haven't ordered one yet as I'm not sure how much I want to spend but they are really flexible in terms of wood, joints, etc.

For the PSU case I contacted OKW UK (http://www.okw.co.uk/) a manufacturer of ABS plastic enclosures and asked for a free sample. I might try and get some free control knobs too.

Hello
Today i received my new laser BAM i s o AAM or ACM
Put it in the PS1 and started listening
No more problems with skipping or loss of signal
I presume the previous laser was really used because
the first impression i have with this one is that it produces a better sound
I have more detail in the sound image It may be the old laser could not read all the information anymore
It is a good deal i s o trying to fix older lasers i think

Anyone with batt power experience I am new on this thread and did not find information
I need to decide if i will build a new power supply or if batt power is a better choise
Forgive me my ignorance about this subject i only started using PS1 about a month ago and i love it

Greetings and enjoy the music

Chips666

Hi Dommi
Oeps Did not read the whole tread before replying

Thanks for the batt info i will try this in the future

About cd and cdr's
My new laser reads everything with your figures 1.48 and 1.80
Sometimes older cdr's burned at higher speeds skip
But anything burned with NERO at 8 speed works fine

In the past i was burning from disk to disk at high speeds without backup on the C-drive
These cdr's are not suitable for PS

Greetz an enjoy

Chips666