Playstation as CD-player

Just finished my first PS1 project. Moved power supply out into a box made from a PS1 9002 unit and fitted the 9002 drive in the 1002 - they seem to be more reliable drives, definitely less distortion towards end of cd.

d0b67f7fdbbc92b84a60615510581a222g.jpg

61ada99ceca9fb5780b1ce33676b29ef2g.jpg

Hi all,
I have tried the following diodes in a bridge with the power supply of Mick,
MUR860
FE5D sinterglass
MBR60100CT schottky
BYW98 special audio
BYV28 avalanche
MB354
1N5819 schottky
and the SB560 schottky,
to now, the best for the moment I find is the SB560 schottky,
purest sound, the MBR60100CT sound is greater but not so pure...
I will tried other ones....

With regards, sigurd.

Hello mick on your web site you wrote "the 7.6 V supply is for the motor, the other one feeds the chips". I was thinking about upgrading the supply that feed the chips and to keep the existing one for the motor. Thanks pierroh for your website, but i don't speak german...perhaps i'll find a german speaker

Mick
linear PSU - Micks modification Post #1429

Just to avoid any misunderstandings - that Pollin kit is NOT identical, not even close, to my design. While the Pollin thingie is bog standard (of course - it is a general purpose regulator), mine is optimized for the use in the PS1. The Pollin kit has very low capacity, no RC filters standard or low-cost parts, single stage,....

But it is indeed cheap. For unexperienced users an alternative, which may well beat the stock SPMS.

v°H said:
Hello mick on your web site you wrote "the 7.6 V supply is for the motor, the other one feeds the chips". I was thinking about upgrading the supply that feed the chips and to keep the existing one for the motor.

Well, its the motor plus all periphery, i.e. laser positioning and focusing, etc. The importance of a good supply for these functions should not be underestimated. Meanwhile, I even suggest to replace the 100 uF in the "second stage" of the 7.6 V line by a 10.000uF for these reasons (not in the schematic yet).

Mick

Hi,

I got PS1 scph-5502 from my cousins.

I tried it quickly against Sony DVD-player DVP-325S. Ps1 has softer and enjoyable mid and treble. DVD-player has a bit stronger bass but my test was only 5 minutes long and volymes were not same because DVD-player plays bit louder with same volyme level. That might affect on bass punch.

5502 has only Multi AV out. Is there any modifications I could make in output stage? I understood that only 1002's RCA output has "extra" components that can be removed. How is this with 5502 and Multi Av out?

How much cost parts for that decent PSU? Does it give more bass performance if my PS1 lacks it?

Is there any sense but money in PSU and damping when I have 5502?

I just begun tweaking of the SCPH-5502 model. I bypassed C423 and C424 blocking capasitors and removed Q403 and Q404 (wich are AFR37's, not AFR49's like on 1001-model) muting transistors. Now this player sound quiet nice - next thing is to tweak PSU... And maybe add op-amps ;)

Attachments

• img_2110web2.jpg
    img_2110web2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 975
USE A 100X and all the problems are gone, it's easy on ebay to
find one... Use a psu from Mick F. with 10.000 microFarad and it's
all right... so simple....AND !!!!!! place the laser unit NOT on a metal plate but on a wooden construction to eliminate vibrations. There are several' tricks ' to improve sound !!!!
White grase on all moving laser objects !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL BEGINS WITH THE LASER !!!! Even mechanical moving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES MECHANICAL MOVEMENT THINGHS!!!!!!!!!
use white grase on all mechanicals !!!!!! Its important !
Nice work and nice sound...

With regards,
Sigurd.

Sorry I'm late to the party but I was recently given a 1001 and finally hooked it up to my system.

I'm stunned! This thing blew the doors off a name brand CD player that cost me hundreds. Just finished listening to some period instrument Beehtoven and I had goose bumps. Whatever it is that this thing does right, it really does right.

I'm going to secure a second PS for modding purposes this afternoon. What's the going rate for these things used?

Great thread, great people, thanks for all the hard work. Looking forward to tweaking.