Playstation as CD-player

jives11, you're right, I didn't notice it, but the thing with the caps is even more ridiculous.... :bigeyes: what they increased is the size of the AC filter caps, which isn't crucial at all, and they did NOT increase the size of the caps behind the rectifiers at the output of the SMPS, whis IS crucial, and probably undersized in the PSU due to cost factors... I would say: don't buy any of this! :whazzat:

Lostcause, where did you see Mick's name there??? :confused:
To me, that's clearly being offered by a company called TET, from a guy named Edmund Helmle... 650 euros is a LOT of money for those little modifications... if they would offer a PS1 in a great case, with linear power supply, good custom output stage and maybe even a screen like I have in mine, then it would be perfectly worth it (or even more). But like this...:xeye: and with no real details about what they changed and those very fishy explanations on their site, I would really stay away from them...

Nicht möglich ist unsere Maßnahme in Verbindung der Tuningvariante von Herrn Mick Feuerbacher, da hier der Signalweg für ein und alle male gekürzt wurde, diese Variante haben wir niemals aufgegriffen, weil wir sie für die ungeeignetste eingestuft haben, und es aus technisch logischer Sicht hier auch niemals eine echte Leistungsteigerung damit möglich wäre. (Es ist ungefähr so als ob man einem 100m Läufer die Beine amputiert, dann aber hofft des dieser schneller wird)
It's about half way down the page.....

I have looked at the datasheet of the AK4309 and think that they try to get the sum between VREFH and VREFL to 5V or even a little higher cause
Full-scale voltage(0dB). Output voltage scales with the voltage of VREH-VREFL.
AOUT(typ.@0dB)=3.4Vpp*(VREFH-VREFL)/5.

I have just plugged in my "new" PS 1 which I got through the bay. It is my first one and I am a little bit curious if the hype is true or if it is just a hype.

I have read many mods so far at different sites and some seem to me very much like voodoo or making easy money with nuts. I think a service manual of the ps1 would help much more than many of these magical mods.

Lostcause, I am german, but I don't consider it worth to decypher anything more from those pages, sorry... for me that's nothing more than BS to try and earn some extra money from people who know nothing about electronics... I'm not saying they are making illicit business, because they actually seem to sell the real PS1 and it probably sound ok, BUT... their mods (besides the basic ones that everyone does) don't seem anything other than BS, or if you prefer, snake oil...

So, Tolu, there's no hype... if you want good ideas for making your playstation play in another league, go through the rest of this topic, read Mick's pages and do what you feel comfortable doing, and most probably you'll have great results. That's what I did. Just don't fall for some smart guys making extra money with snake oil tactics...

As for the datasheet, the formula is:
AOUT = 3.4Vpp * VREFH / 5

Where VREFH is connected to AVDD, which is indicated in absolute max ratings as 6V. So the maximum value they could achieve would be about 1.45V rms, and that with the DAC operating in absolute max ratings, which is not recommended at all. And still they'd have to do some soldering, to get the 6V vdd signal instead of the 5V...

April Stereophile discusses SCPH-1001

Stereophile doesn't get it apparently. They bought the PS at Salvation Army for $25 and tested it as is. They compared it to another low cost unit, mentioning its warmth when used with expensive cables and suggested it might be the right "flavor of ice cream" for some people. Clearly, they did not refer to this thread and see what so many others are doing to improve the fine sound. I guess I wouldn't expect a mag that features $30K rigs to go to the trouble. Nor do I expect their usual readers would go out of their way, either. What has amazed me is how little has to be done; even a better power cable and a 2V sloblo fuse made quite a difference for me. I have not gone farther, because my soldering skills are nonexistant. The only other thing I did was sell my SA8260.

Some pictures my Playstation 5502. I've used cap coupling is WIMA MKS4 4,7uF with resistor 18K ohm.

Attachments

• picture 015.jpg
    picture 015.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 846
Yesterday I had my first audio session. The counterparts were PS1 scph-1002 vs. Panasonic DVD-S75.

Software:
- Diana Krall - The girl in the other room (tr.2,3,4)
- Patricia Barber - Nightcafé (tr.2)

PS1 directly plugged out-of-the-box to the preamp with Oehlbach beat NF-cables.

Results:
- Sound of PS1 was much darker and deeper than the Panasonic.
- Resolution and details were much better with Panasonic. The Pana shows every breath or harmonics, the PS acts a little bit lazy. The Panasonic is the analyst, the PS is the diplomat or the sound cloud maker.
- Dynamics of the PS was a little bit laid-back.
- Spatiality was good and wide but the PS lets Diana Krall grow about 2 feet.
- one analogy came up: the comparison reminded me of the comparison between OPA2604 (PS1) and LM4562(Panasonic).

Conclusion: :confused:
I am a little bit double-minded what to do now with the PS. Should I invest time and money to tune it or not.

After reading many hints and modding recipes I am confused about what helps and is a noticeable improvement or what is just voodoo and nonsense (like blue leds or ceramic fuse).

I would be thankful about some hints what really helps to raise the quality on to a higher level.

@joydivision: What is the difference between Vpp and Vrms? Have you measured the VREFH-pin already?