Playstation as CD-player

This is really for somebody other than me to say. But I think 10k should be no problem. As far as I understand it, 10k isn't high. What if you use a tube preamp? Tubes have higher impedance than SS.

Doede Douma's DDDAC seems to have considerably higher impedance than the PSX. So my guess is that 10k is low rather than high.

You might still find a buffer/linestage beneficial.

A friend of mine game me his old ps1, unfortunately it is a scph-5501, but its free so I can't complain. Anyway, I located the AK4309AVM chip and pins 15 and 16. There is no NJM2100 on this ps1. Basically I can't find anything else to do except take out the smd dc blocking caps and solder 3.3uf caps to a pair of output RCAs. Is that right? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Josh

Well BrianGT is sending me a pair of BG N 4.7uf caps and a pair of 22kohm Caddock resistors for my 5501. I am planning on spraying the ps1 to some other colors and wanted to create a composite video out rca, but could not find which pins were needed for composite out from the AV Multi out. I was hoping someone could tell me which pins in the AV multi out are for composite video.

Thanks,

Josh

complete diyaudio system

Well I was going to post some pics to the speaker forum, but I have built a neat second system based around the Playstation (Mick_F edition) as the front end. standard Sonic T amp and a pair of speakers I made from tangband drivers (871's) and some wooden vases. A truly diyaudio inspired second system. the other kit looks on in disgust :)

I guess a truly underground system would have a modded T-amp and Cyburg Needle speakers, but my carpentry is not up to them (yet !)

Attachments

• diyaudio1.jpg
    diyaudio1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,079
phn said:
That Radford (?) tube amp isn't too shabby either.:D

well spotted. He does look like he's wearing the T-amp as a party hat doesn't he ? Mistress LS3/5a is not amused.

I remember the L75 - I think my parents neighbour had one. One of the few TT's with 78 RPM support too as I recall. very well built. We were a Thorens houshold - the TD150 would also be a nice choice. Sorry for the rathole.

My intended point was that a PSone makes a great source for a budget system far cheaper than any magazine "best buy"

Hi Jonathan,

nice to see your second system. I was also about to build some needles, but postponed it due to a preamp project that is curently more interesting to me.

I greatly advise to get rid of the T-amp if you want to improve things. These amps are not bad, but they are also not really good. I suggest a well built chipamp (I have a new truly minimalistic approach here). LM3886-based chipams are really far better than (unmodified) T-amps. (I used to have one but sold it quickly ;) ).

Cheers
Mick

Can someone please explain the use of the blue LED near the transport ? What is it's purpose?

A "supposed" better sound caused by the interference the blue light "would" create making less jitter. I tried with a battery-powered LED, powering it on and off while a CD was playing, and there was no difference. An other use would be to make it look cooler. :cool: