Playstation as CD-player - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2006, 03:14 PM   #531
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Mick,
i looked on your HP and i think there is a failure. If you disconnect the conducting paths like you've done there is a connection between the red RCA and the little component which suums the signal to mono. It not helps to disolver the caps upside.
I think it's better to disconnect the line shown on the picture below because we don't know what this little think makes with the Signal

BR Dommi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0580 klein.jpg (54.3 KB, 1093 views)
Old 3rd January 2006, 04:11 PM   #532
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi @ all,
i measured the distance from cd clamp to motor. You have to press with a finger to the cd clamp and than the distance is
1,0 mm. This i measured on a new laserunit. Now i have to measure my other Units
Dommi
Old 3rd January 2006, 05:09 PM   #533
pieroh is offline pieroh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommi
Hi @ all,
i measured the distance from cd clamp to motor. You have to press with a finger to the cd clamp and than the distance is
1,0 mm. This i measured on a new laserunit. Now i have to measure my other Units
Dommi

Hi Dommi,
this might be the solution for the problem!

I received a new laserunit with a scratching spindel and although I managed to raise it , it would not work properly.

If the distance between the CD and the Laser is different, erverbody will arrive at a different conclusion.

Anybody who tries to raise the spindel should be carefull not to break it. You can lift it with ease by inserting a narrow piece of metall, between the motor and the spindel and then gently pressing it backwards.

Peter
Old 3rd January 2006, 06:56 PM   #534
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommi
Hi Mick,
i looked on your HP and i think there is a failure. If you disconnect the conducting paths like you've done there is a connection between the red RCA and the little component which suums the signal to mono. It not helps to disolver the caps upside.
I think it's better to disconnect the line shown on the picture below because we don't know what this little think makes with the Signal

BR Dommi
Dommi, I have taken account of that. Instead of scratching the trace on the bottom, I found it easier to remove the little cap on the top of the board (see pictures 4.3 and 4.4
on my site . If you remove that cap, the RCA is completely disconnected from the circuit.

Mick
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:06 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Dommi, isnt there something like a defined stop when you push the clamp onto the motor axis? I think there is, and then the geometrical distance between the CD and laser can be reproducibly fixed. We should find a set of alignment parameters for this distance.

It is just a guess, but judging from the findings of most of the users here (including myself) that the set 11.4mV / 1.7V / 1.8xV works very well, we may conclude that they all had their clamps in this defined position.

What do you think?

Mick
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:49 PM   #536
diyAudio Member

My last answer, of course, refers to the post of Pieroh.......
Sorry

Mick
Old 3rd January 2006, 09:16 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

@Mick:
5502 sounds more like a cheap CD-playa in comparison to a 1002.
Your cap-mod is exactly what Iīve in mind. This way 5502 and 1002 have the same output stage and can be jugded in direct comparison.
Just one hint: Twist or drill the wires, this way theyīll work as a a shielded cable. MKS is no good in audio, YEMV.
BTW: A23 recommended the line-out too. Maybe itīs system-dependent, you might need the extra drive in your setup. The opamp is a silly low power one, better to omit it.

Good to hear, that the reset isnīt needed.

The subject of the clamp distance needs more attention. There isnīt something like a defined stop when you push the clamp.
Anybody with a service-manual out there?

Carsten
Old 3rd January 2006, 10:22 PM   #538
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carawu
@Mick:
5502 sounds more like a cheap CD-playa in comparison to a 1002.

Carsten
you tested them after the modifications?
Old 3rd January 2006, 10:39 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

No, I tested them before modifications. I had to buy some caps to do the mods.

Carsten
Old 4th January 2006, 06:09 AM   #540
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

I noticed on the farnell website (www.farnell.com) that they have in stock surface mount 15uF /10v OSCON caps, plus a few other values
These might fit as replacements either side of the DAC, assuming anyone can solder SMT (rather than desolder )

Hide this!Advertise here!