Playstation as CD-player - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 12:52 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Moin,

here is my little "Sponge-Bob" Trick. It helps while adjusting the Laser. ;-)

Carsten

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:10 PM   #522
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Which version of the PS1 is that?

Mick
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:59 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

Moin Mick,

its a 5502.

Today Ive 4x RS1 @ home, 2x 1002 and 2x 5502.
On one 1002 and 5502 Im not able to adjust the laser to the posted values. Theyre only working with higher laser intensity, but tracking errors occur. I guess, theyre worn out ... Ill swap the laserunits from the running machines into them and test again.

I take a look into the elektor-article. Powersupply is 3,3V and 7,5V with LM317. There is one trick: One second after power on a reset is done with some gluelogic.
The valve-circuit is nothing special, its the standard ECL86 circuit from G. Haas with some hints to get more k2 out of this circuit.

Carsten
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:01 AM   #524
pieroh is offline pieroh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Haas - tube output stage

Quote:
Originally posted by carawu
Moin Mick,

I take a look into the elektor-article. Powersupply is 3,3V and 7,5V with LM317. There is one trick: One second after power on a reset is done with some gluelogic.
The valve-circuit is nothing special, its the standard ECL86 circuit from G. Haas with some hints to get more k2 out of this circuit.

Carsten

Hi Carawu,
your are right. The tube output stage by Mr. Haas is an oldie, it was already introduced in many publications, ELRAD, ELEKTOR etc...years ago.
You could also call the topical "ELEKTOR-TUBE-SPECIAL" a Gerhard Haas Special, because to nearly 90% they will describe his circuits....and although he is an experienced designer, he likes to use electrolytic capacitors as DC blocking caps.....the nasty little things we just got rid off.
There are many possible solutions for a tubestage for example using a single double triode.
I tried two new laserunits. Without adjusting the laser intensity they did not work properly
Peter
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:32 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

Hi Carsten and Peter,

to make sure that we are talking about the same values for alignment, here is what I found best for my units:

Laserintensity 11.4 mV
Bias 1.70 V
Gain 1.82 V

These values differ from those posted by Dommi in this thread, which I wasnt able to set too.

Carsten, what is your impression about the sonic difference between 5502 and 1002?

The voltages of 7.5 and 3.3 V seem a little low to me. I have measured the output of the stock PSU and to be precise I obtain 7.55 and 3.55 V under load. And what is the additional reset required for?

Mick
Old 3rd January 2006, 09:38 AM   #526
pieroh is offline pieroh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Mick,
my laser alignment research led to the same experience.
Having changed the Laserintensity and Bias to the values you posted, the voltage for gain had to be set to values above 1,8V.

With your settings everything works perfect with the laser unit that was built in my SCPH1002. The machine plays everthing now, sound is perfect
I purchased a new laserunit but could not get it to work poperly, but will give it another try this evening.

Happy new year to all of you!!
Peter
Old 3rd January 2006, 09:52 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

Default PS1

Moin Mick,

1002 #1 working 100%:
Laserintensity 16.1 mV, Bias 1.464 V, Gain 1.84 V

1002 #2 skipping sometime:
11,6 1,7 1,8

5502 #1 working 100%...never touch a running system!

5502 #2 skipping sometime:
Laserintensity 14-18 mV
You can change the Laserintensity while running, but it only starts with this values.

5502 versus 1002....no chance. But only if you use the lineout. AV sounds bad. That said: What about taking the signal out from the first cap

(remove them) after the DAC, fit some BlackGate (sounds like the evil brother of BiHL GaHtes) Typ "N" or Wima MKP4 (huge!) here and go

straight to new lineouts? THAT seems to be interesting. As far as I can see, this is the main difference between the two models.

7.5 and 3.3 V seems to be OK. Remember, there are mainly 3.3V chips inside, these can even run at higher levels like 3.6V

Maybe the additional reset is required for proper starting of the CPU? I dont know, but adding a linear PSU will show if this trick is needed.

Carsten
Old 3rd January 2006, 10:00 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Default tube buffer

Moin Peter,

ECL82 and 86 are not my favorite type of tube. Adding a tube-buffer is not on my priority list.
Mr Haas...well lytics in the signal-path are bad, agreed. A Motorstart-C is big, but much better in this circuits at this position.
Is this elektor-special-edition a Haas-special? Maybe, but there are no other (german) authors publishing this stuff in magazines.
He shows the whole circuits and PCBs, you can make your own Amp hardwirered/PCB with your parts or you can buy all parts for reasonable prices from him. Thats ok for me.

Carsten
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:38 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PS1

Quote:
Originally posted by carawu
Moin Mick,

5502 versus 1002....no chance. But only if you use the lineout. AV sounds bad. That said: What about taking the signal out from the first cap

(remove them) after the DAC, fit some BlackGate (sounds like the evil brother of BiHL GaHtes) Typ "N" or Wima MKP4 (huge!) here and go

straight to new lineouts? THAT seems to be interesting. As far as I can see, this is the main difference between the two models.

7.5 and 3.3 V seems to be OK. Remember, there are mainly 3.3V chips inside, these can even run at higher levels like 3.6V

Maybe the additional reset is required for proper starting of the CPU? I dont know, but adding a linear PSU will show if this trick is needed.

Carsten
What do you mean saying "no chance" (in the comparison 5502 vs 1002)? And I am surprised that you dont like the AVout. In the 1002, the lineout is almost indentical to the RCA out circuit, with the difference that in the latter the signal goes through an additional opamp and set of caps. I tried both and found the avout better than the rca out.

Have a look at my website. I have described a mod including a direct path from the DAC to the rca out with only a cap (wima) in series.

Back has built a linear psu and it works. Also the normal psu does not trigger a reset after power on. So it is not obvious what it is needed for.

Mick
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:00 PM   #530
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hy @ all,
i checked my values for Gain and Bias again. Every time that i adjusted the Bias more than 1,6 V some CD's skip. The Laservalue is 11,4 mV. With Bias 1,56 V all CD's OK.
There is one other thing that corrupt the values. I found out, that it's the distance from the CD clamp to the Motor. I thing here is the reason for the different values. If the distance is not correct, the distance from CD to the Laser is not correct, so we have to highten the values. I'll try to messure the distance this evening !

Dommi

Hide this!Advertise here!