Playstation as CD-player

Ok, here is the bridgerectifier (D001) in detail:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I guess, four pieces of BYV96e will do a better job. :D

You better check the PCB for those anti-protection chips:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another remote-control: :cool:

Carsten

And here's the Mitsumi SR670, coming from my SCPH-1001.

No, there's not enough light. There was just the flash and 3x 75w halogens(Pointing at other places in the room)

For Audio CDs, the modchip is just an unuseful extra.

Light IS a big factor, the cam is an other one.

Sorry, limited by the max. upload size (256 colors)

Attachments

• sr670.png
    sr670.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 3,161
The PS1 is protected against the use of copied CDs.
You should tell that it's for games only. For CDA, it's just a standard CDP. Note that some CDs might have a data track for the first track so don't think it's some copy-protection, skip it.

The modchips are also used in newer consoles to get region-free DVDs.

The first version SMPS board is dark brown, has a grey transformer on it, and rectification is done by an IC instead of four diodes as in the later version.

If you look at my pic, it's using a grey transformer, the PCB is light brown and rectification is done with 4 separate diodes.

I tried the CD on a PC CDROM drive and it skips a bit every few seconds.

In DAE(Thru data cable), spdif(separate wire) or analog(separate wire)?

Some CDPs are just not able to read in normal mode some CDs and some have poor DAE performance. It depends of the drive mostly. Some are able to read some copy-protection formats and others not.

Is there a posibility that you can add a basic LCD screen just for track numbers and also time?? You could also build a custom enclosure and then you could open up a remote and actually build it into the front of the new enclosure, might have to get new buttons hard wired from the controller, then just lable them so you what is what.And you could also incorporate a wireless remote controller.Wouldn't be too difficult at all, just would be nice to have some sort of display without using an expensive colour lcd screen.

Regards

Bowdown

There are many fantastic sites on the range of machine that Sony produced under the name Playstation 1. including Mick_F's (described above) and http://www.playfidelity.com

Has anyone seen the output circuit topology described anywhere ?

I assume there is a DC blocking cap on the output, which, judging by some of the excellent pictures must be a small surface mount device. I wonder if a low value here accounts partially for the lack of bass ? My preamp has adequate DC blocking anyway so I was thinking of removing any caps in the output signal path as the next obvious tweak ?

Anyone tried this ?

bowdown said:
Is there a posibility that you can add a basic LCD screen just for track numbers and also time?? You could also build a custom enclosure and then you could open up a remote and actually build it into the front of the new enclosure, might have to get new buttons hard wired from the controller, then just lable them so you what is what.And you could also incorporate a wireless remote controller.Wouldn't be too difficult at all, just would be nice to have some sort of display without using an expensive colour lcd screen.

Regards

Bowdown

I would also be interested in a display but I am afraid that this is a bigger job....

A description of how to include a RC unit in the PS1 case is given here. Look at the latest update on the bottom of the page.

jives11 said:
Has anyone seen the output circuit topology described anywhere ?

I assume there is a DC blocking cap on the output, which, judging by some of the excellent pictures must be a small surface mount device. I wonder if a low value here accounts partially for the lack of bass ? My preamp has adequate DC blocking anyway so I was thinking of removing any caps in the output signal path as the next obvious tweak ?

Anyone tried this ? [/B]

Attached is a schematic of the output stage.

Mick

Attachments

• ausgangsstufeps1.jpg
    ausgangsstufeps1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3,585
many thanks Mick.

sorry to bury you in questions but you seem to have been a trailblazer on the PS.

q1. Is this output stage standard across all models (particularly the (SCPH 1002)

q2. C424 & 423 appear to be there to block any DC element. Have you tried replacing these with links ?

jives11 said:
many thanks Mick.

sorry to bury you in questions but you seem to have been a trailblazer on the PS.

q1. Is this output stage standard across all models (particularly the (SCPH 1002)

q2. C424 & 423 appear to be there to block any DC element. Have you tried replacing these with links ?

1: I think so.

2: No I have never tried as I use no input DC blockers in my current amp.

Mick

DragonMaster said:

Wasn't it here that someone told that the AKM DAC disappeared after some model and that a DAC was integrated to a DSP after that?

Also, I think that the DSP was not amplified in some models.

I am sorry, I should be more precise. AKM DACs were used up to the PU20 board, which was used in the SCPH 7002. In the 1002 two DACS were used. The AK4309 AV and later the AK4309 AVM. The latter was used in the 5002 as well. On the 7002 board you find a AK4309 BM. What happened after that I dont know.

Mick