Playstation as CD-player - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2005, 07:57 PM   #21
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am surprised that Mick.F hasn't 'dropped into' this thread!

It's well worth taking a look at his PS1 modifictions site!
Old 12th November 2005, 03:01 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi Nuuk,

thanks for the link! (At least, this one is in English)

I bought a SCPH-1001 off eBay the other day.

They are easy to get as everybody is selling them. Type SCPH-1001 or 1002 and you get results. There were about 5 1001s and 5 1002s when I bought mine.

I already have the SCPH-101 (PSOne) and I can tell it doesn't sound pretty good.
Old 12th November 2005, 08:21 AM   #23
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have bought four 1002's off Ebay here in the UK but be warned, some of these are quite old and the lasers can be worn out. Two of the four that I have bought, slip like crazy!

Yes, Mick's English is impeccable like his photography, soldering and presentation - damn Germans!
Old 12th November 2005, 09:56 AM   #24
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default the Sony '1001

still haven't gotten around to doing anything with this. Got sidelined due to the recent addition of a pocketbike.

DragonMaster, a fellow canuck, who'd a thunk it! (although several on this forum wave the maple leaf )

I can say that the build quality of the PS is superior to the PD- 54 (Elite) I have. I also have a cdp950 (not sure if this became an ES component), and of course the quality there is the highest I have seen in some time. I did own an early Technics SLP8 cd player which is the only thing that I've popped the hood on that comes close. Some of the CALs were nice, and used the Matsushita transport with glass optics instead of plastics as is often the case. I suspect high end Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Phillips and Teac (Esoteric) transports all must be very good. Everything else , regardless of brand relies on one of these for their transport design (or Chinese knock offs).

I would classify the 1001 on par at least with the PD-54, mainly a different presentation, 20 rows in for the PS and the back third of the house for the Pioneer.

Now I know some will read this and comment about the Pioneer, but it has served me well. Is it perfect? No. But I have always enjoyed music through this device. A little internal dampening, and the addition of the IEE end were significant. I use a Tiff purple power cord on it. It just seems to work.

I suspect though, that the addition of a better case, and an IEE end, as well as some dampening will result in something pretty funny for $20 USD including remote. Pretty sure the addition of a high quality output buffer won't hurt, but as I had previously stated, through the McCormick micro-line drive, there is plenty of gain and no appreciable noise or lack of dynamics.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and will post my findings, just as soon as I finish off other projects that were started first.
Old 12th November 2005, 01:03 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Well, they built something that should not break, and especially not to freeze while playing...

A really good CDP for 20$... How is it possible?
Old 12th November 2005, 01:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I was hoping this news was not going to break! I read about German guys modding these things...

The prices on e-bay will probably go sky high now
Old 12th November 2005, 01:29 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The prices on e-bay will probably go sky high now
Hide that topic!
Old 12th November 2005, 03:35 PM   #28
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default a really good cd player fer $20

DragonMaster,

I paid $19.95 (no GST) for my 1001 at a local pawn shop, $4.57 +GST for a "Hip Gear" remote.. so about USD $ 20 for the pair. I already own some car audio amp cases, and some acrylic (for the top sliding door).

er OK, I have to buy an AC power input , a cord and I may have to buy some shielding. I would like to buy an LCD screen so that it need not be attached to a TV to navigate.

I wish more of our German friends with first hand knowledge, or for that matter ANY who have listened to modded (or not) Greystations or done modifications would post there results. Someplace I recall Steven Rochlin of enjoythemusic.com made mention of the Greystations, but I cannot find the source or reference. I guess I'll have to email him and see if he recalls the context.

Ok and I'm not saying that this thing will be the best, just that it could be a lot of fun for very little money. Kinda like the T amp. Some may argue they're ggGGGGGreat! (in my best Tony the Tiger voice), but I don't think anyone is saying they are the BEST on the planet.
Old 12th November 2005, 03:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I don't remember which site, but one guy told he prefered his NAD over it.

Quote:
ggGGGGGreat! (in my best Tony the Tiger voice),
shouldn't it be ggRRRRReat! ?

In my case, it will be near a PC screen and a NTSC->VGA adapter.
Old 12th November 2005, 09:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I'm currently listening to the SCPH-101 PSOne (Not 1001 PSX) and even if people tell it's bad, it's better than my Panasonic CD player and my Sony CDP-295.

I'm about to build some TDA1541A DACs. Someone can compare the 1001 to them?

Hide this!Advertise here!