Playstation as CD-player - Page 284 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 07:52 AM   #2831
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
@danDman

Unsolder at first the resistor and try again. Can you upload some pictures?

What scph version have you got?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 08:21 AM   #2832
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrovagen View Post
Hi,
I am using passive preamp Sonus Qualitas pvvm1. I modded a SCHP-5552 today and made a bypass as described by Mick Feuerbacher. I am using 10uF capacistors and 4,02Kohm resistors. I believed that the caps would eliminate the DC from the AKM, but nope. I have tested with a buffered preamp with decouplers and that sounds good. What must I do?
Hi,
I went yesterday to DIY heaven in Stockholm ELFA and bought F&T bipolar 100uF, 100Volt capacitors and 100kOhm resistors. I replaced the installed 10uF MKP caps and the 4,02 resistors. I used a buffered preamp to test the initial solution and it worked ok but efter the modification to bipolar caps and 100kOhm resistors it was possible to connect the schp-5552 to my passive preamp. I am using a inner tube from a wheel cart to isolate the PS1 from vibrations. Now the soundstage is detailed and has a lot of depth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 01:15 PM   #2833
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pg2005 View Post
@danDman

Unsolder at first the resistor and try again. Can you upload some pictures?

What scph version have you got?
Thank you for such quick reply. I unsoldered the resistors and now it works fine! I have scph 1002. So should I get a resistor with lower values and try again, or should I just leave it as it is, with no connection to the ground signal? The picture is from before I disconnected the resistors.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 01:25 PM   #2834
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrovagen View Post
Hi,
I went yesterday to DIY heaven in Stockholm ELFA and bought F&T bipolar 100uF, 100Volt capacitors and 100kOhm resistors. I replaced the installed 10uF MKP caps and the 4,02 resistors. I used a buffered preamp to test the initial solution and it worked ok but efter the modification to bipolar caps and 100kOhm resistors it was possible to connect the schp-5552 to my passive preamp. I am using a inner tube from a wheel cart to isolate the PS1 from vibrations. Now the soundstage is detailed and has a lot of depth.
Unfortunately there is still up to + - 6mV DC coming through. Can someone explain how I can get rid of it? I am using a ground isolator now until I understand how to fully eliminate DC from the output.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 08:15 AM   #2835
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danDman View Post
Thank you for such quick reply. I unsoldered the resistors and now it works fine! I have scph 1002. So should I get a resistor with lower values and try again, or should I just leave it as it is, with no connection to the ground signal? The picture is from before I disconnected the resistors.
The resistor is only to filter low frequences. You don´t need a resistor if you want to listen what is on your CD.

by the way, why did you do the feuerbacher solution? Have you got a tube amplifier? The Playstation has now 0.8Volt´s output in you solution. Otherwise it is not necessary.

I have really nice results with just swapping the smd resistors. Output eff

have a look here: 21er - 22er - 23er Board 1,7Veff. Output Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

just swap the 18K OHM resistors to 27 - 28 K Ohm´s.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrovagen View Post
Unfortunately there is still up to + - 6mV DC coming through. Can someone explain how I can get rid of it? I am using a ground isolator now until I understand how to fully eliminate DC from the output.
How do you measure? And what did you do?


you need a CD with an 1000Hz Sound (play it) and measure AC (not DC) at the RCA output to ground.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 09:08 AM   #2836
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Thank you for your answer. This is my first test and I decided to try with a 5552 unit and the Feurbacher solution. I have 2 units of schp-1002 that is waiting. I normally play with my old Thorens TD126 or FLAC through the Logitech Transporter but could not resist trying after a friend brought a Playstation with him and gave me a big surprise.
Last night I realized that DC escaped to ground through the resistor so I removed it.
I swapped to old ERO MKC1860-5280 caps with 6,8uF. I have an input with 715ohm on the passive preamp and it gives me a cut off frequency of 3,2Hz. The passive preamp is followed by a 2x8 DSP with 30k Ohm. It now works and sounds very nice. Why should I measure AC on the RCA output?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 11:40 AM   #2837
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrovagen View Post
Why should I measure AC on the RCA output?
I just wanted to know how you measure the DC, because there is only AC at the RCA output.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 06:41 PM   #2838
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
@Pg2005

Ok, no need for a resistor then.

Feuerbachers solution was just the first one that came up when i was looking for a mod, and yes, I was planning on using it for my tube amp.

I will look into that. Thanks for all your help Manfred!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 07:37 PM   #2839
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
@danDman

Hello, I am not Manfred, but he is a good friend of mine. We discussed the resistor a couple of days ago, that's why I knew what happened to you.
You said you have got a Tube Amp, so Mick's solution is perfekt for tubed amp's. Some tube amp's doesen't like to much incoming power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 01:04 AM   #2840
Cochise is offline Cochise  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Cochise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ellwangen/Germany
Hello,
our new website,
it is available soon in English.

Cochise Audio

Greetings Cochise
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Playstation CD Player Beau Digital Source 2 19th March 2004 07:59 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2