Playstation as CD-player - Page 273 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 11:35 AM   #2721
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone, I am a noob here, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use a playstation as a DAC for a computer, using a USB/optical connection and perhaps wiring it in so that it bypasses the the processor or the laser input to the processor? (Just for your information, my knowledge of electronics is highly limited - as in I know what happens when you put resistors/capacitors in series or parallel)
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:11 PM   #2722
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Someone else will probably put me right, but I don't think that the player supports i2s which is what would be needed to supply a digital interface for a signal to a Dac.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:51 PM   #2723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Someone else will probably put me right, but I don't think that the player supports i2s which is what would be needed to supply a digital interface for a signal to a Dac.
The AK D/A converter has I2S signals running into it, so you can tap signals from there. Apparently people like the PS because of it's AK D/A converter, so they don't bother using a separate one. The pinout of everything is here, but that's the SCPH7000. The link has a circuit for it's I2S to S/PDIF conversion. The converter on that page uses an obseleted Toshiba IC. It can be found on ebay for cheap, but who knows if it's a counterfeit part or not. I built a converter for the Nintendo Gamecube using the same IC. If a suitable coaxial cable driver can be designed, the I2S lines can be sent over coax with BNC connectors.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:16 AM   #2724
diyAudio Member

See, I told you I was wrong!

There is a dig out mod for the Dreamcast that uses CS8406. Looks quite easy, if you like that sort of thing.

Rob.
Old 4th June 2012, 02:22 PM   #2725
diyAudio Member

emuman100: Wow thanks enuman! So that site gives circuitry for a TOSlink output right? So for a TOSlink input, would I wire in a switch to provide only the 5V power supply to the DAC (bypassing the unneeded components, but still allowing the possibility of use of the Playstation as a CD Player), and put the TOSlink connection into the input of the DAC rather than the output, and use the RCA/AV multi out? I found the schematic of the AK4309AV DAC (the one in the SCPH100x) on dogbreath.de (here), but my attempts at deciphering it were futile, haha! So if I decipher the schematic of the DAC, and work out the pins that take the input, and then wire the TOSlink connector from uyouyo.com in, it should work?

puffin: Haha! Thanks anyway Rob. Would the CS8406 sound better? I assume this is it?

Thanks again to you both, and if I am making no sense at all, I apologies in advance

Alex
Old 4th June 2012, 03:35 PM   #2726
diyAudio Member

AK4310VM datasheet of interest to anyone?

My SCPH-1001 (that I've had since day 1 of US launch) has a AK4310VM.
Seen the 4309B datasheet on here but not this one or a link to this one...
Attached Files
File Type: zip AK4310vm.zip (752.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 4th June 2012, 03:45 PM   #2727
f2a is offline f2a  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello ,
i run a Playstation SCPH5502 on the two TDA1541A in old SONY CDP227-ESD (with damaged KSS 151 Laser) : SONY PS 1 SCPH5502 on parallel TDA1541A in a Sony CDP227-ESD - YouTube

Conect the GND/LRCK/DATA/BCK and MLCK (16,9344MHz) direct from the PS to the DF CXD1144P . Lift up the MUTE Pins (4&5). It sound verx good . The DF works now in 4xOS mode .

By
Bernd

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th June 2012, 06:58 AM   #2728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomcf View Post
emuman100: Wow thanks enuman! So that site gives circuitry for a TOSlink output right? So for a TOSlink input, would I wire in a switch to provide only the 5V power supply to the DAC (bypassing the unneeded components, but still allowing the possibility of use of the Playstation as a CD Player), and put the TOSlink connection into the input of the DAC rather than the output, and use the RCA/AV multi out? I found the schematic of the AK4309AV DAC (the one in the SCPH100x) on dogbreath.de (here), but my attempts at deciphering it were futile, haha! So if I decipher the schematic of the DAC, and work out the pins that take the input, and then wire the TOSlink connector from uyouyo.com in, it should work?
Well, if you're going to do that, why not just design and build your own DAC using the AK4309AV instead of using a PS1? You could connect a S/PDIF receiver to the I2S input of the AK4309 with a clean output stage, but you're better off building your own DAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomcf View Post
puffin: Haha! Thanks anyway Rob. Would the CS8406 sound better? I assume this is it?
The CS8406 converts I2S output into S/PDIF. The obsoleted Toshiba part does the same thing, but I know the CS8406 can resample. I used a CS8405A, back in 2006 to do the I2S to S/PDIF conversion on the Gamecube as well as the hard to find obsoleted Toshiba part. It never worked no matter what I tried, I got frustrated, and since I had a working converter using the obsoleted Toshiba part, I never bothered to try to get it working with the CS8405A. I think the hackers copied my idea, lol, only using the newer part that can support up to 192kHz sampling rate with less power consumption.

Attached is the original schematic designed by oscar, a Japanese fellow who figured out the video D/A converter inside the Gamecube D-Terminal and component video cable can output RGB as well as YPrPb, and this meant that when certain games were booted in 480p mode, you can display the game on a VGA monitor. I build the circuit in the schematic and it works beautifully.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ngcspdif.gif (12.4 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by emuman100; 5th June 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 09:14 AM   #2729
diyAudio Member

I suppose if you are taking a dig out, you would be best to use a later version of the CS Digital Audio Receiver (CS8416)?
Old 5th June 2012, 01:08 PM   #2730
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
Well, if you're going to do that, why not just design and build your own DAC using the AK4309AV instead of using a PS1? You could connect a S/PDIF receiver to the I2S input of the AK4309 with a clean output stage, but you're better off building your own DAC.
You make it sound so easy, haha! I would but I have no idea what I am doing... actually, lets give it a go anyway!
Could I just find a S/PDIF to I2S circuit (maybe using the CS8416 Puffin suggested), going into a AK4309 (or could I possibly have several in parallel?), then going straight to RCA out? or would I need to put the through something first? The Playstation mod uses this, but I read you can just use transformers and you get a better signal? I'm guessing the post DAC stage amplifies the signal?
What would I need in terms of power supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
The CS8406 converts I2S output into S/PDIF. The obsoleted Toshiba part does the same thing, but I know the CS8406 can resample. I used a CS8405A, back in 2006 to do the I2S to S/PDIF conversion on the Gamecube as well as the hard to find obsoleted Toshiba part. It never worked no matter what I tried, I got frustrated, and since I had a working converter using the obsoleted Toshiba part, I never bothered to try to get it working with the CS8405A. I think the hackers copied my idea, lol, only using the newer part that can support up to 192kHz sampling rate with less power consumption.

Attached is the original schematic designed by oscar, a Japanese fellow who figured out the video D/A converter inside the Gamecube D-Terminal and component video cable can output RGB as well as YPrPb, and this meant that when certain games were booted in 480p mode, you can display the game on a VGA monitor. I build the circuit in the schematic and it works beautifully.
So I can run that circuit in reverse for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, and maybe use a CS8416 instead of what I presume is a CS8406?

Also, I found a DAC using the TDA1541 and the CS8416 on pavouk.org, here. Could I use something like this except use AK4309's instead?
There was also just circuitry for the S/PDIF to I2S stage, here.

Last edited by atomcf; 5th June 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!