Playstation as CD-player - Page 271 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2012, 02:33 PM   #2701
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bad image insert removed above. Please try again, but paste the image URL, not the image itself.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:39 PM   #2702
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
The lasers are orientated in different directions in the various models of GreyStations. This is one of the shortcomings of the the SCHP-100X ones. The power supply and laser get in close proximity of one another and the heat from the power supply can be an issue.

I'd have to take a couple apart, but to change the laser you may have to create longer wiring to join the two. Can't remember if there is a ribbon cable involved or not (that would be the real issue I guess). Any new transport needs to use the same instruction set as the old one, regardless of what mechanism is used.

If you are wanting to make a new enclosure, then really no issue at all (AFAIK).
Yes, indeed let us see a picture.

I'm still enjoying in the somewhat original state. It's the PS and the shigaclone fighting - I can't really decide...

Brgds
Old 25th April 2012, 10:06 AM   #2703
ceteras is offline ceteras  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parahaber View Post
if your lens starts skipping the problem is only with sledg rails.the white plastic on aluminium which touches the rail track ,it loses its vertical alignment by friction and time so PLSASE ...NEVER TOUCH THE POTENTIOMETER its very delicate and risky and it is only for laser FOCUS .ALWAYS use the original SONY rated dark ink blue color disc. it SPINS GEOMETRICALLY FLAT and ACCURATE
ENHANCING MOTOR PERFORMANCE !!!!!. OTHER DISCS WOBBLES
CAUSES LASER TO LOSE ITS- - FOCUS-- WHICH IS CONTROLLED
BY THE POTENTIOMETER. if the pot gets damage REPLACE laser unit .
HA..HA..HA..[/IMG]
Actually, I believe the potentiometer on the pickup has a direct effect on the laser beam intensity.
The focus is done by processing the difference between PD1 and PD2 signals, it has nothing to do with the potentiometer above mentioned. I know it's very delicate, no problem, I can handle that.

Thanks for the advices, but unfortunately I don't understand all of it.
What's the "original SONY rated dark ink blue color disc" you mentioned?

As for the transport thing I said earlier in the thread, I actually meant another CD player mechanism/pickup, one with similar interface.
Usually, all CD player pickups have the same signals: there's PD1/PD2 for RF and focus, E/F for tracking, a laser diode and a photo diode, tracking and focus coils, tracking and spindle motors, and a limiter switch.
Some pickups use ABCD instead of PD1/PD2, where A + C = PD1 and B + D = PD2 (photodiodes placed in opposite corners of a 2x2 matrix).
This short clip is the only thing I could find searching the net: Playstation 1 CD-ROM - YouTube
Old 29th April 2012, 12:09 AM   #2704
diyAudio Member

Smile PS 1001 AV cable

After reading the entire thread (while listening to my just acquired PS 1001) I would like to sample the audio output from the AV connector. I need to acquire a cable with the AV connector and RCA plugs at the other end. I found cables from Monster and BestBuy (RocketFish) but they include composite cables attached. Anyone know of a AV -- RCA cable?

Thanks,
Marvin
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:05 AM   #2705
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelphoto View Post
After reading the entire thread (while listening to my just acquired PS 1001) I would like to sample the audio output from the AV connector. I need to acquire a cable with the AV connector and RCA plugs at the other end. I found cables from Monster and BestBuy (RocketFish) but they include composite cables attached. Anyone know of a AV -- RCA cable?

Thanks,
Marvin
I found a AV adapter on eBay, $4.00.

Marvin
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:38 AM   #2706
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone. I've been reading the thread and thinking about my little treasure, the 1001 I won off of eBay. I'm really happy this thread and all of you are here. The first time I played the 1001 I knew I had found a replacement for my Oppo 980H. This afternoon I took advantage of primo member Mick Feuerbacher tutorials. I adjusted the laser. And it did need adjustment at all 3 points. Everything went perfect. Well yes and know. I mistakenly rotated the trimmer that is to the right of the Bias and Gain trimmers. As you face the front of the console the 3 trimmers form a cockeyed triangle with the right side being longer. Did I do a bad, what is that trimmer for and I assume it needs to be readjusted. How so.
At any rate there was no sparks or smoke and it sounds even better now. After someone answers my question the output stage is next.

Regards,
Marvin
Old 4th May 2012, 12:17 AM   #2707
diyAudio Member

Default HELP! Laser and trimmers

Hi everyone. I've been reading the thread and thinking about my little treasure, the 1001 I won off of eBay. I'm really happy this thread and all of you are here. The first time I played the 1001 I knew I had found a replacement for my Oppo 980H. This afternoon I took advantage of primo member Mick Feuerbacher tutorials. I adjusted the laser. And it did need adjustment at all 3 points. Everything went perfect. Well yes and know. I mistakenly rotated the trimmer that is to the right of the Bias and Gain trimmers. As you face the front of the console the 3 trimmers form a cockeyed triangle with the right side being longer. Did I do a bad, what is that trimmer for and I assume it needs to be readjusted. How so.
At any rate there was no sparks or smoke and it sounds even better now. After someone answers my question the output stage is next.

Regards,
Marvin
Old 8th May 2012, 12:09 PM   #2708
diyAudio Member

I've been listening to to my PS1 unmodified for a while now and I really like it. I have a 1001. I've been practicing my soldering skill and am now ready to do the output replacement. I do have a few questions. There seems to some differing opinions as to using the 3.3 or 4.5 caps for the DC blocking. What is considered the best? Also what's the best place to order caps. The wima's seem to be mostly available overseas. I'm in the US. I don't have the skills to make a linear power supply. Are there any over the counter one I could buy? Could I hire a skilled modder to make me one?

Thanks!
Old 18th May 2012, 05:34 AM   #2709
diyAudio Member

Smile Some response please

Would someone PLEASE respond to to the last two post with some positive input. We are late to the party but the PS 1 is still alive.
Old 19th May 2012, 03:48 AM   #2710
diyAudio Member

Smile Laser intensity and burned cd's

For those of you having trouble playing their burned cd's; I just adjusted the laser intensity from the previous adjustment of 11.4mv to 13mv. and so far all of my discs are now playing. Is that the trick? Sure the laser will wear out sooner but at least I can now play my many burned discs. Worth the $16 replacement laser.

Hide this!Advertise here!