Playstation as CD-player - Page 269 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 03:35 PM   #2681
Banned

I got tens of box-less PS1s .... I mean without any enclosure... I don't know which model they are... the only way to identify the model is looking at rear ports but I'm not familiar with them
is there any source discussing about "how to identify a SCPH-100?"
any help appreciated
Old 8th January 2012, 08:46 PM   #2682
Banned

has anyone every tried to use 1001's DAC and an individual DAC? or stream it the date from another source but PS1's original CD-Rom for example feeding the DAC with WDTV?
Old 14th January 2012, 12:01 AM   #2683
diyAudio Member

hi!
i am john!
thanks everybody for all this informations at this post!
i ve finish with mods at my ps1!
it is scph-1002
sounds great!!! realy nice sound!
i have use wima caps 4,7uF 63v and resistance 22k 1/2watt..
i have only one problem....
sounds great but when i hook up the yellow rca at my av reciever i hear distortion...
also and when i hook up at my lcd tv the same distortion...
any help??
thanks a lot guys!!
Old 6th February 2012, 03:25 PM   #2684
ceteras is offline ceteras  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default 5502 hiss issue

Hi everyone!
Thanks to this thread, I've managed to get a 5502, planning to mod it.
So far, listening through it's multi AV connection, it sounds great but comparing it to my m-audio 2496, there's one thing I'm not happy with: hiss noise. It's clearly noisier than my sound card, just the hiss.
Other than that, the sound is really promising.
My question is: anybody thinks that applying the output circuitry mod will lower the noise?
Or maybe it's from the power supply and I have to replace it with a linear one?
Many thanks!
Old 6th February 2012, 03:46 PM   #2685
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceteras View Post
Hi everyone!
Thanks to this thread, I've managed to get a 5502, planning to mod it.
So far, listening through it's multi AV connection, it sounds great but comparing it to my m-audio 2496, there's one thing I'm not happy with: hiss noise. It's clearly noisier than my sound card, just the hiss.
Other than that, the sound is really promising.
My question is: anybody thinks that applying the output circuitry mod will lower the noise?
Or maybe it's from the power supply and I have to replace it with a linear one?
Many thanks!
Must remove the capacitors 423 and 424, the output solder directly on the DAC pins 15 and 16.

All with caution when using the soldering iron. The rest of the modifications is equal to 1002.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Blink_PT; 6th February 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 7th February 2012, 05:44 AM   #2686
diyAudio Member

Default ilustration

SCPH-55xx :: chip.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

Here is a lil example how to replace the SMD capacitors to Panasonic FM 22uF/50V and take the output directly of the audio chip.

SCPH-55xx :: chip.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

Just above is how to remove all noises (from the SMPS), the ground of the IEC connector is attached to the ground on the main board.

I don't this the SMPS is bad but strongly recommand a good grounding.

SCPH-55xx :: RCA_chassis.jpg picture by gaeto31 - Photobucket

And how to fix the RCA to the chassis. If the RCA sockets aren't too big of course...
Old 10th February 2012, 07:51 AM   #2687
ceteras is offline ceteras  Romania
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions & images.
I didn't find the time for modding, I've had some trouble with the laser unit.
It started skipping heavily with commercial CD's, so I've raised it to 11.9 (it was at 10mV initially).
Then I could listen to a CD-R audio, up to the last song, when it started skipping just a little. Playing the same CD-R from the beginning, it skipped badly again, so I took it to 13.5mV.
This time it played well throughout the CD, but I wonder how much time this laser unit has got left, it seems to go worse and worse.
Old 21st February 2012, 08:35 PM   #2688
diyAudio Member

Default direct out from DAC

Sorry if this question is answered already (I feel that it is). I'm only up to page 115. I just wanted to clarify. If my preamp has DC blocking capacitors on the inputs, can I just run directly out from the DAC in the playstation? And if I did that, I would connect pins 15 and 16 to the + pins on some RCA jacks. Where would I connect the - leads? Sorry if this is a trivial question. I'm new to the subject.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:13 PM   #2689
diyAudio Member

Playstation SCPH-1002 is the only one that's worthy of doing any modifications, just to be clear

A little heads up on my precious.

I've replaced all of the stock capacitors, diodes and I've separated AVDD and DVDD of AKM DAC with TL431 shunt regulator with 27mA CCS.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see, I've also replaced stock capacitors with Sanyo Oscon and I've improved local decoupling of DAC. Output stage is basically the same as Micks but I've added 220R resistor between DAC and output capacitor.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Greetings from Croatia
Old 7th March 2012, 05:19 AM   #2690
diyAudio Member

Default HELP!!

Hi guys,

I just bought an SCPH-1001 and after taking it apart, i realized it has the AKM4310VM DAC inside. I thought the 1001 was suppose to have the AKM4309AVM in it?? Any thoughts? Is the 4310 DAC any better than the 4309? I know that they used the 4310 primarily with the SCPH-1000. Any help would be great, I'm really confused about this......i tried doing some research on the differences between the two but didn't come up with anything at all.

Hide this!Advertise here!