Playstation as CD-player - Page 257 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2011, 08:05 AM   #2561
diyAudio Member

When I get back to the UK I should be able to find the supplier that I used for my laser. In the worst case cutting the plastic or using the plastic surround of the old laser on the new one should work. The amazing thing with these devices is how simple they are and yet how precise in what they do...and still only 5! What does Linn charge?
Old 13th February 2011, 05:43 PM   #2562
raver is offline raver  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Problem with remote

I have a strange problem with the small remote control PS2/PSX. It works perfectly in my 7502 but it doesn't work at all in my 1002 (when I press the buttons the small green led on the receiver part doesn't even light up).
It behaves this way in both the controller ports, while I can normally operate the console as a CDplayer with the controller in any port. What can be the problem? If the ports had some power problem I think that also the controller should not work. Any idea/help?
Thanks
Old 13th February 2011, 07:04 PM   #2563
diyAudio Member

Am I correct in assuming that it used to work in the 1002 but now no longer does?
Also, that it used to work in the 7502 and still does?

If the above is correct then I am guessing that the problem lies in the 1002. I have had problems with the remotes in the 1002 getting stuck in strange modes, with the green light stuck on. Also, with the remote control being ignored, even though the green light flashes. Other strange effects have also arisen, especially when the battery is getting low.
In all cases, so far at least, the problem has been solved by simply turning off the PS1 and turning it on again after a few seconds. To be sure, remove the power cable briefly. I hope this helps. If not then it might be 1002 internally, but before we get too sad, try replacing the batteries in the remote (the received might be working better in the 7502 but the 1002 may need a boost), and also cleaning the contacts in 1002.

I hope this helps

George
Old 13th February 2011, 08:08 PM   #2564
raver is offline raver  Italy
diyAudio Member

No, the remote is new, I removed the paper slip that keep the battery safe in the package a few days ago and tried using it, so I suppose the battery is still good, but I didn't measure the actual voltage. It works in the 7502 but it doesn't in the 1002. And in the 1002 the green led doesn't light up. How do I clean the contacts in the 1002?
Old 13th February 2011, 08:25 PM   #2565
diyAudio Member

If it has never worked successfully in the 1002 then it may be that you have a compatibility problem. If so, I have not come across it in the modified PS1 machines that we ship, with remote controls.
However, if you want to try cleaning the contacts the easiest way is to spray the receiver edge connector with switch cleaner and repeatedly insert it into the PS1. This should clean both of them.
Do you get the green light to flash when the receiver is in the 1002 and the 1002 is turned off and then on? If even that is not happening then the problem is not with the IR transmission but in the 1002 itself.
Old 14th February 2011, 03:43 AM   #2566
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I too got excited about the PS1 potential and went out and bought a 1001.
Did the DC blocking caps and the muting transistors. Right now I'm using the A/V Multi out through a RocketFish Gold Plated connector. Sound is Great. But I need to ask a basic question, With only the mods listed above, is the audio signal path quality better through the A/V Multi out OR the RCA out? And Why?
Thanks for the explanation in advance.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 14th February 2011, 07:49 AM   #2567
diyAudio Member

Hi,

A further suggestion... try operating your PS1 with a wired Games Controller. All the remote receiver does is make the transmitter look like a wired connection. My guess is that the wired controller will not work reliably either. If that is true then its a PS1 fault. If that is not true then we need to think a bit more
Old 14th February 2011, 07:56 AM   #2568
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am not sure of the mods that you made. When the transistors are removed from the circuit after the DAC the DAC outputs are unconnected, until you connect them directly to the phono sockets via the resistor-capacitor network, as in the dogbreath article. If that is what you have done then there is no audio output to the A/V multi-out. If you left some of the transistors in the circuit then you will not get some of the potential gains because of the poor quality of this amplification.
The output of a fully modified PS1 is lower than standard equipment because or the removal of this amplification. So far in my experience this has not been a problem but including a small high quality pre-amp is pretty easy if your subsequent equipment needs extra gain.
Anyway, in Hi Fi it is usually more convenient to use industry-standard connections such as phonos rather than the A/V outputs of the PS1.
I hope this helps
Old 14th February 2011, 03:51 PM   #2569
diyAudio Member

Hi georgebrooke,
Yes I made the two changes made in the dogbreath article (DC caps and muting transistors). The A/V multi out is is working. I still need to connect the jumper wires across where the DC caps were for the signal to go to the phono sockets. My question is using the poor quality existing pre-amp that still there, is the audio signal better through the phono socket or the A/V?
(At this point, as you have probably figured out, I have a very limited skill set when it comes to this stuff, but am willing to jump in and do what I can.)
-----Anyway, in Hi Fi it is usually more convenient to use industry-standard connections such as phonos rather than the A/V outputs of the PS1.--I just happend to pick up this high quality A/V connector that has gold plating, but I will see how it sounds through the phono socket side.
Thanks for the input,
-Jeff
Old 15th February 2011, 06:51 AM   #2570
diyAudio Member

Just finished the wiring to the phono socket side, the sound quality is close between the two. But I think the signal path through the phono sockets is alittle more detailed and lifelike. The sound stage from Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" (track 7 & 13) sounds pretty amazing.
Cheers,
-Jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!