Playstation as CD-player - Page 255 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2010, 03:12 PM   #2541
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckeealaska View Post
I use my PS3 as a cd player all the time (when not using my primary..a Denon 2900) and it does a fine job of playing music. My old PS3 was one of the original models that could play SACD as well and it sounded great, though my 2900 bested it every time.

I`m wondering how the PS3 might do as just a drive?
Old 10th December 2010, 03:25 PM   #2542
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Just got one of these 100x in the post today. Must say it doesn't sound too bad.

Will be using it for cdp in headphone system.

Really not sure about mods though. Read a lot of this thread and it seems that too many mods remove the 'magic'.

I'll certainly upgrade the output RCA's. Probably taken from the Sony proprietary port (which will go) as i believe this does not have all the caps in the way. Is that right?
I got a couple 1002's several years ago (and another one recently for $20). Was planning on doing some of the mods, but got lazy and have just been playing through the port. Sounds very good to me on my modest system.

One thing I noticed is CDR discs may or may not play on these. Maybe just a tweak is needed? Anyone have problems with this?
Old 11th December 2010, 08:28 AM   #2543
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

PSone and Tivoli Model 1. It works well, I need to simplify the wiring at the back. think I'll go for a short captive lead, straight to the mobo with a 3.5mm stereo jack . Would also be nice to incorporatethe remote functionality back inside the original case, as I have seen done on PS1's. Currently there is a about a meter of L, R, Composite video cabling tucked away behind
Old 11th December 2010, 10:15 AM   #2544
diyAudio Member

Talking tubebuffer

Here are some pics of the modifications and the tubebuffer I made for the PS1. It is a 1002 with signal taken directly from the DAC. Power supply is modified with new caps and diodes (no linear, not yet ). The tubebuffer is a SRPP with russian 6n16.

Old 23rd December 2010, 12:53 PM   #2545
diyAudio Member

Default Adding Screen to the PS1

Hi
I am interested in adding a screen to my modified PS1. Does anyone have a reference to a suitable set up... I don't want to add a full TV or the like, so that I can keep it all light. I am sure that it is somewhere in this (or nearby) thread but I have not found it!

Thanks for the help

George
Old 23rd December 2010, 01:53 PM   #2546
diyAudio Member

You can buy 3" or 5" LCD screens. Just use the video out connector on the back of the PS1.

The SCPH-100X has both the A/V Multi Out as well as the Composite Video Out (Yellow RCA Plug).

The A/V Multi Out carries a few different signals: Left Audio, Right Audio, 5V, Composite Video, S-Video, Analog RGB. A small LCD screen is sure to take on of those video signals.

There is a screen Sony made for the small white PlayStation (PSone). It's about 4" 4:3 Aspect LCD. It requires 7.5V. Only problem with that screen is that it only fits the PSone (SCPH-101) not the PS1 (SCPH-1001).
Old 23rd December 2010, 03:07 PM   #2547
diyAudio Member

How do you guys reckon these speakers would sound?

**PAIR OF SONY SS-S702AV 3-WAY FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS* (eBay item 200557332714 end time 01-Jan-11 17:11:04 AEDST) : Electronics

The woofer's are shiny, is that not a bad thing?
Old 15th January 2011, 09:09 PM   #2548
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
I've done all the Feuerbacher mods on a 1001 and have proper settings, but the unit has problems reading my Taiyo CD-Rs. Pressed CDs play fine. This site suggests increasing the bias a bit, is this the way to go?

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPSX.htm#sectA
Well, it only took me a year to get back to this one. I popped open the hood and checked my laser intensity, bias, and gain settings, all as recommended by Mike. I started by adjusting the laser intensity only. I raised it to 12.3mv (from 11.7mv) and immediately my burned CD-Rs began being read, which they did not at all previously, but I got skipping on my first track, but only on my Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs. Oddly enough, not on tracks 2+. I further increased the laser intensity to 12.7 (from the recommended 11.7mv) and I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. Very, very little skipping on the first track and perfect performance on all subsequent tracks. I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that my Taiyo CD-Rs are not being read as well as my other CD-Rs, I pretty much stuck with TY for all of my CD-R burns in the early part of the decade. Turns out, Verbatim and TDK CD-Rs read easier.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:02 AM   #2549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
Well, it only took me a year to get back to this one. I popped open the hood and checked my laser intensity, bias, and gain settings, all as recommended by Mike. I started by adjusting the laser intensity only. I raised it to 12.3mv (from 11.7mv) and immediately my burned CD-Rs began being read, which they did not at all previously, but I got skipping on my first track, but only on my Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs. Oddly enough, not on tracks 2+. I further increased the laser intensity to 12.7 (from the recommended 11.7mv) and I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. Very, very little skipping on the first track and perfect performance on all subsequent tracks. I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that my Taiyo CD-Rs are not being read as well as my other CD-Rs, I pretty much stuck with TY for all of my CD-R burns in the early part of the decade. Turns out, Verbatim and TDK CD-Rs read easier.
Hi,
I have been tuning up PS1 machines for use in HiFi rigs for sometime now and I have found that the original guidelines set up by Mike are a good starting point but they are only that. The age of the laser seems to affect the actual settings. I use a stock of commercial and home-made CDs as my set of standard tests and using these so far no one has had any trouble with cd tracking on the units that I have shipped. Concerning home-made cds, my tests, which are pretty limited, seem to show that TDK CD-R Audio cds are very reliable and give as good results as commercial pressings. Please keep in mind that problems with home made recordings could lie with the set up of the recording laser rather than purely in the playback laser in the PS1.
I hope this helps.

I am in the later stages of a very large scale rebuild of the the PS1. The current status is with external power supplies, as in Mike's description, built-in pre-amp to bring the output levels up (the DAC is a little low on output when directly connected), another power supply to drive an external colour LCD screen, a 12 second connection delay to avoid the Sony start-up "music", integrated IR remote control, mains power outputs so that the PS1 controls the power input to the external power supplies, and the entire package (apart from the external supplies) being embedded in an Audio Fidelity chassis. Apart from the fun of building this reference box (I use it to compare the performance of the standard modded versions) it sounds just great.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:49 PM   #2550
mexico is offline mexico  United States
diyAudio Member

I added rca outputs to a 5001 soldering directly to where the A/v out connects on the board. There was a decent improvement in sound made especially noticeable since my A/V cable was worn out. However, as I was adding the RC receiver to the inside something must have gone wrong. It appeared to work after soldering the wires and things together however after I put it all together and sat down to enjoy my work, the RC did nothing. the Unit powers up fine, makes the startup sound, and the video out works just fine but no controller input whatsoever. I plugged in a regular controller and no dice. I tore it all apart... nothing. De-soldered the reciever and reverted to normal... nothing. I cant describe to you my sheer confusion. I don't have a multimeter atm so i cant check the if the cable connecting the controlller port to the board is working. visually everything appears fine after triple checking. I gave up and the next day I picked up a 1001 at a flea market. works fine but the laser has some problems. struggles to start and skips like mad if I dont meticulously clean every CD prior to playing it. so I swapped lasers and for the 5001 which worked flawlessly but it will not fit without modification so I am going with the original laser and cleaning cds like crazy for the moment.

anyways, does anyone have any idea what happened to the 5001? when i get back home for break ill be tearing both apart and trying the the cable and input for the controller of the 1001 in the 5001 if that works then i may try the RC mod to the 1001 but im terrified of destroying it!

quick question, would there be any benefit from soldering the RCA directly the multi out on the board for the 1001? seems like it would be way easier then on the 5001 since the case is already compensated for RCA's. the 5001 sucked because I needed to drill perfectly alligned holes into the chassis for the RCA outs and then get the holes lined up on the plastic case and it looked pretty bad as I am a novice with the dremel! lol

anyways it seems to sound pretty good through my pioneer receiver but seems to take away "the magic" in some recordings (particularly track 1 of Neil Young's Harvest!!) and my JVC has smoother Bass response but does not touch the Playstation's ability to clear up complex passages of music. Charlie Parker and Gillespie never sounded so, well, clear!!

Hide this!Advertise here!