Playstation as CD-player - Page 229 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2009, 07:59 AM   #2281
Ziggy is offline Ziggy  Australia
Account Disabled

Thanks bequerel.
All I know is that it seems to work fine.

The important thing that I would like to emphasize is that the sound quality easily beats any valve or solid state output stage. I know because I have tried all three and the transformers leave everything else for dead.

As you suggest, a better quality transformer would be the way to go. Something to save up for in my piggy bank.
Old 6th May 2009, 08:34 AM   #2282
Account Disabled

After many hours of play time, these transformers just sound better and better......guess they too need running in like other new parts or mods.

There is not even a hint of dynamic compression, harshness or loss of information.
I am seriously thinking about using a couple of these for my heavily modified Sansui tuner.

Without a doubt, I am convinced that low level signal, transformer coupling (without DC) IS PURE MAGIC
Old 6th May 2009, 09:03 AM   #2283
diyAudio Member

Default Docs

Hi,
I am interested in the docs and 42MB is not too big for broadband so don't worry about the size. I assume that you have tried winzip for compressing the files? Failing that you might try dropping the resolution of the pictures.
Old 6th May 2009, 09:07 AM   #2284
diyAudio Member

Default A Transient Fault

A few days ago I was listening to my converted PS1. Somehow it had got itself it to a strange mode. Everything sounded thin and as if there was added reverb.
I wasted some time looking for loops and so on, until the old PC trick of turning it off and then on was tried. This put everything back to normal.... but what was going on? Has anyone else experienced this kind of fault, it is entirely new to me from any CD player. At a guess the DAC had got into a strange state but does anyone know for sure?
Old 6th May 2009, 11:26 AM   #2285
diyAudio Member

Sounds like it went into one of it's preset EQ modes.

If you can hook up a TV/monitor to it then you will see the CD player screen which has a few effects like Hall, concert or something like that......

If you use a remote then you can accidentally skip around the menu.
Old 6th May 2009, 02:03 PM   #2286
diyAudio Member

Default Re: A Transient Fault

Quote:
Originally posted by georgebrooke
A few days ago I was listening to my converted PS1. Somehow it had got itself it to a strange mode. Everything sounded thin and as if there was added reverb.
I wasted some time looking for loops and so on, until the old PC trick of turning it off and then on was tried. This put everything back to normal.... but what was going on? Has anyone else experienced this kind of fault, it is entirely new to me from any CD player. At a guess the DAC had got into a strange state but does anyone know for sure?

The playstation has a few "effects" built in. It's possible you may have accessed these accidentally. Plug into a tv and you can see the options, they all sound bad (unless you want that "hifi in a church" sound).
Old 9th May 2009, 07:34 AM   #2287
hugomac is offline hugomac  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ziggy,
Where did you get your Hammond 124d from in Australia im over in Melbourne.
Would like to see a couple of photo's of your work as i'm just starting mine.
hugomac8@tpg.com.au
Cheers
Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0519.jpg (54.2 KB, 1057 views)
Old 9th May 2009, 08:14 AM   #2288
diyAudio Member

Default That's It

Hi,

thanks for the resolution about the stange sound from my PlayStation. I am pretty sure that it was an "effect" that I was hearing. it was horrible"

George
Old 10th May 2009, 08:31 AM   #2289
Account Disabled

hugomac

http://www.evatco.com.au
Old 15th May 2009, 10:53 AM   #2290
diyAudio Member

Default PSU Voltages

Hi,
I am just starting my outboard PSU tests under load. Without load, the supply is spot on 3.6V. Once connected to the CD deck, this drops to around 3V.
Can anyone tell me if this is in line with expectations... I am kind of surprised after all the regulation of the supplies.
The player is just undergoing a soak test to check on any overheating, so I have not had a chance to actually play it yet

George

Hide this!Advertise here!