Playstation as CD-player - Page 222 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2009, 08:20 PM   #2211
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mick's Mods

Quote:
Originally posted by enzedone

Does anyone know how to compress this down, I have tried zip, but didn't seem to do much.

Brett
Open it up in Adobe, Click "File" and the 10th entry down (on my version of Acrobat professional) is "reduce file size," which you should click. It then gives you an option for the version of Adobe to make it compatible with- chose the most current for max compression (version 7 and later). Save the file and you will see it is much smaller...turned an 8 MB into a 4 for me earlier today, but depends on content.

You may need the full version of adobe, not just the reader...but I'm not sure.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:17 PM   #2212
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Cheers

But no joy on that idea, must have to have the full system.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 15th January 2009, 03:28 PM   #2213
diyAudio Member

I just got a bunch of BAM laser modules from these guys:

http://cnn.cn/shop/sony-playstation-c-259_512.html

I bought 6 pcs. and the shipment was about $20 via FedEx.
Took 7 days from HK to Norway!

The modules are not NOS, but recent manufacture as far as I can see. I do not have an original BAM module to compare with. The quality looks absolutely OK. The laser guides are in metal.
Old 7th February 2009, 03:12 PM   #2214
rhing is online now rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for flat cable connectors for PSU

I am recasing my Playstation to put more distance between the power supply and the motherboard and laser unit; however, I have had a problem locating a flat cable connector with 2mm pitch (pin spacing) that Mick Feuerbach shows in his Web site:

http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/Recasing...casingPSU.html

I had no problems finding a cable connector with 2.5mm pitch for connection to the motherboard. I just need the 2mm pitch connector for the PSU side. Can anyone help?

Thanks

P.S. It's been over a month and the upgraded power supply caps really do make a difference once the caps have time to settle in. I can definitely hear details and tonal textures I hadn't heard before. It just makes an overall improvement to the musical sound quality of the Playstation.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:11 AM   #2215
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich and others!

My new PS Audio Power Cord arrived as well as my new(old) WireWorld Equinox III Cable and the difference with each one was noticeable. The RCA make a huge impact vs. my other cables and the Power Punch added some depth and bass slam never heard before. More details and decays and the mids get more present ( the RCA has more to do with this).

I would like to do the recaising and improved power supply mods but have two left hands

Take care...

Jose
Old 20th February 2009, 01:40 AM   #2216
diyAudio Member

I have just recently purchased a KSM-440BAM from richspsxparts which is total junk. I have e-mailed him and am waiting a reply. The sleds look plastic as well. It looks to me like a refurb of a KSM-440ACM with a BAM cover.

I will let you know how it goes.

How well does this work?

http://cnn.cn/shop/sony-playstation-...ly-p-2769.html
Old 20th February 2009, 01:40 AM   #2217
diyAudio Member

I had recently ordered a KSM-440BAM from richspsxparts and it came very quickly. But the unit itself was far from excellent. It had such problems reading discs even after calibrating. The sled was made of plastic not metal the way it should. It seemed as if it was a refurb KSM-440ACM with a BAM cover.

I have emailed him about this issue yesterday. I will let you know what comes about it.

Also, Bequerel how are these I just ordered one.

Is the performance well and is the quality good?
Old 20th February 2009, 07:14 AM   #2218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icon0319
I had recently ordered a KSM-440BAM from richspsxparts and it came very quickly. But the unit itself was far from excellent. It had such problems reading discs even after calibrating. The sled was made of plastic not metal the way it should. It seemed as if it was a refurb KSM-440ACM with a BAM cover.

I have emailed him about this issue yesterday. I will let you know what comes about it.

Also, Bequerel how are these I just ordered one.

Is the performance well and is the quality good?
Yes, I bought a bunch of them since they were almost free. Very quick shipment and excellent service. However, I am quite new to the PS1 game so I cannot comment on the quality. (I do not have anything to compare with.) I also bought one sample at 3x the price from an Austrian PS1 parts supplier, and this unit looks the same as the Chinese ones.

As far as I can see, the ones that I got from Hong Kong look like the real deal:
http://www.playfidelity.com/laserein...index_ger.html

One question:
The DAC chip in my PS1 runs at 3.55V. Would 3.3V be too low? Reason I am asking is that there are a lot of high precision regs for 3.3V available. It would be easy to have a separate regulator for the analog and digital sections.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:46 PM   #2219
rhing is online now rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need Help Identifying an SMD Component

I was modding the output stage of a spare Playstation One Model SCPH-1001. While I was attempting to remove a small SMD cap from the motherboard, I also accidentally damaged the larger SMD component mounted next to it.

Here is a picture of the SMD cap on the left and the larger mystery SMC component to the right. This is a photo from Mick Feuerbacher's Web site . I believe it is either an inductor or transformer; I really can't tell. It has six leads (three on one end and three on the other). All I know is that I have ground hum in both channels with this piece off the board. I might try to jumper the SMD pads and see if this will eliminate the hum.

Can anyone help me identify this SMD part? Also, I will need to know where to purchase a replacement.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output smd components.jpg (49.1 KB, 908 views)
Old 22nd February 2009, 07:30 PM   #2220
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need Help Identifying an SMD Component

Quote:
Originally posted by rhing
I was modding the output stage of a spare Playstation One Model SCPH-1001. While I was attempting to remove a small SMD cap from the motherboard, I also accidentally damaged the larger SMD component mounted next to it.

Here is a picture of the SMD cap on the left and the larger mystery SMC component to the right. This is a photo from Mick Feuerbacher's Web site . I believe it is either an inductor or transformer; I really can't tell. It has six leads (three on one end and three on the other). All I know is that I have ground hum in both channels with this piece off the board. I might try to jumper the SMD pads and see if this will eliminate the hum.

Can anyone help me identify this SMD part? Also, I will need to know where to purchase a replacement.

Thanks

Ah yes - the mysterious 1001: a playstation odyssey monolith.

This device is used when the TV connector is plugged in. It down mixes the stereo for a mono TV, and is only engaged when you use the original UHF TV connector with integral sound jack. There is some discussion of it early on in the old testament part of this thread. I would think you could remove it and jumper the relevant connections.

Hide this!Advertise here!