Playstation as CD-player - Page 196 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2008, 10:07 PM   #1951
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

2 hours ago I added the high pass filter. I used a 1F WIMA MKS cap and a 47k resistor with fc of 3.4 Hz and a time constant of 0.047 s. So far I am very content with the sound. But, time will tell (or hear).
Old 1st April 2008, 10:19 PM   #1952
diyAudio Member

Phileas,

Any voltage rating above 6V should be ok.
100uF seems a tad high though... I'd say, try a few caps you have in good consideration and decide what you like most...
Old 1st April 2008, 10:25 PM   #1953
NotSure is offline NotSure  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am new here, though I have been planning to work on a 1002 purchased specifically for upgrading for six months now.

I am actually curious to see how close to a Shanling CD T100 I can get the playstation. I do want to add a valve output as a the Shanling has one.

My problem with starting, is that I want to plan this as a full project. I want to have a real audiophile player, including a few of the frills one would expect from a $20 cd player. I am planning a large rosewood box, with front panel buttons and a remote with metal housing and metal buttons. From what I have read here, I am confident that a new PSU, valve output, BAM transport, and remote will be possible, but I have a few more problems.

Ideally I would like to add a nixie numerical display. Nixies would suit a valve/rosewood player. I would like to know the track number, and the elapsed time of the track. A monitor is NOT an option. If nixies are too difficult, I would like to add two lines of six LEDs (twelve total) that light up as the track number increases. I do not know if the nixies will add interference into the signal, and I would not hesitate to ignore nixies if they added noise the sound.

The other part that worries me is the startup sound. It is a small annoyance, but it should be possible to copy the ROM onto SRAM or EPROM. Once you have the ROM, this startup sound can be removed completely, OR if that is too difficult, the sound could be replaced with any sound or silence of the same length. Birdsong at startup would be a nice touch.

I used to have friends who could have reversed engineered the chip operation, and there is a small chance that I can find some contact details. There should be others who could find the track second counter, and the track number. It should not be too hard to jimmy together something that will work with nixies. The ROM fix should be just as easy for the right person. The ROM should already be off the machine. I believe there are playstation emulators floating around, and these should already have a ROM (or at least come with instructions on how to extract the ROM image)... Replacing a number of bits in a ROM image is really easy with a Hex Editor, and that is all we need to do to replace the raw sound data. Writing an EPROM is pretty easy if you have $20 worth of equipment and can use DOS.

Has anyone considered removing unnecessary parts of the system to see if they add noise to the signal path? I know this would be drastic, and would only have a small chance of paying dividends, but there does seem to be an excess of hardware to experiment with.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:24 PM   #1954
diyAudio Member

The cure for the start up sound is dead easy, dont switch it off.

Some say they sound their best being left on constantly, I have no opinion on this as mine is switched off when not in use.

Sounds nice for a 17 CD player though
John
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:32 AM   #1955
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joydivision
Phileas,

Any voltage rating above 6V should be ok.
100uF seems a tad high though... I'd say, try a few caps you have in good consideration and decide what you like most...

Thank you.

I was going off Mike's web link for the ones used. Capacitors are pretty cheap so I may try a few others.
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:53 AM   #1956
diyAudio Member

John, it is a solution, but leaving it on is not for everybody. I plan to be getting off the grid within two years with a solar/wind system, That means enough power for the family, but only if managed carefully. I do not even leave my valve equipment on. They only take 10-15 minutes to warm up.

I enjoy tinkering now and then, but this is a project I fully intend to use if I start it, so it needs to be usable as well as great sounding with a beautiful finish (not one part of that horrible plastic case will remain.

General question for everyone... Here is one question that has been bugging me a lot. Why are you all plugging the eraser end of a pencil into the switch? If the switch is such a problem, then why not just remove the switch? I have been planning to do this first on my unit.
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:53 AM   #1957
diyAudio Member

I have had another thought. Two in one day... a record!

I will see if I can find any contact info on the programmer who created the PS1 emulator... he has to have reversed engineered enough of it to know what pins from what chip will handle the track time and track number info.

I hope I get lucky and find his info.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:21 AM   #1958
diyAudio Member

NotSure, that would solve the last remaining irritant with the PS1, sometimes I want to skip to a track and have to count the number of presses .... Good luck.
On the start up tune....
I use a soft start relay for my amp/PS1 combo so this solves two issues with one application.... soft starts the amps power-up to protect it and the speakers from turn-on thump .....and the delay is just enough so it switches to full current after the tone... about 5 seconds I think. This could easily be placed on the PS1 output if you dont want the integrated solution, although, thinking about it, you may not like the audio signal going through a relay.
Anyway, I look forward to your findings on 'hot-wiring' the motherboard!
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:31 AM   #1959
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Notsure

Lostcause was a little bit faster!

Just use a (reed) relay for the output with a delay of 10 sec.

My devices have no plop-preventer so the switch-on sequence is important. 1. PS 2. Pre 3. Power amp

I can live with it but my wife is everytime confused about this.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:22 AM   #1960
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolu
I can live with it but my wife is everytime confused about this.
That's another reason why I implimented the complete solution

Hide this!Advertise here!