Playstation as CD-player - Page 179 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2008, 01:34 PM   #1781
diyAudio Member

I have been reading this thread for a little while now.... whew it is a heck of a lot of information.

Yesterday I unpacked my PS1 that has been stored for some 6 years. Turns out my PS1 is a SCPH-5501 that has the AK4309AVM DAC.

I hooked up my PS1 yesterday to give it a test run un-modified and I have to say I am VERY tempted to not modify the PS1 at all, I am currently listening to a CD I have heard thousands of times and I am hearing details for the first time that I have never heard before, I am shocked!

Click the image to open in full size.

I have been thinking about possible mods that would make the PS1 easier to use, for instance I have an idea of installing a video monitor in the front of a custom case built for the PS1, I have an old Nikon Coolpix 900 camera that has a good monitor that I will attempt to integrate.

I think I will start looking for a SCPH 1001 in which I will perform all the modifications on.

Thanks for the great thread
Old 13th January 2008, 02:51 PM   #1782
diyAudio Member

Default Monitor for PS1

Well after some time I managed to get the Nikon monitor to display the PS1 video feed but I think I will look for another monitor option.

The Nikon monitor works but without the rest of the camera attached it keeps shutting down, and I can't seem to find a way to make the power circuit disregard the error causing the shutdown.

At any rate a good quality monitor IS able to display the PS1 screen at a decent resolution in fact the Nikon monitor which as it turns out is made by Sanyo displays a better quality image than my 14 inch LCD TV does, The small size seems to increase the apparent resolution.

I will look into some other option for monitoring the PS1 as I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time with this Nikon monitor as I'd rather be listening to music!
Old 13th January 2008, 02:57 PM   #1783
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Monitor for PS1

Sweet, keep us updated with what you come up with.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:57 PM   #1784
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

A magnificent and heroic approach Frazzled, must of us just make do with one of these

PS1 remote
Old 13th January 2008, 05:31 PM   #1785
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Splendid idea! Hope you manage to get it running.
Old 13th January 2008, 10:26 PM   #1786
diyAudio Member

I've decided on a case for my PS1 cd player.

This is a copper chassis I was once going to use for a tube amp project I started but alas I never got around to finishing that one, oh well it should make a wonderful home for the PS1.
Old 16th January 2008, 02:45 AM   #1787
diyAudio Member

Found this today at one of those club discount stores, it's the monitor part of a vehicle backup video system.

Works pretty darn good and the whole kit only cost $90

Work on the conversion continues...
Old 19th January 2008, 05:44 PM   #1788
diyAudio Member

Hi guys and happy new year to all!

I came across the PS1 thread and remember that I bought one unit last year on EBay. My kids played with it and later use it as a duster Fortunately for both ( the PS1 and I) the unit was a SPCH-1001 in great condition.

To make the long story short, WOW!! we ( my audio buddies and I) were very impressed by how this unit presented the sound in a musical way. One of my friends have a $30K+ system and is an audio distributor. He also have auditioned great pieces and, although he is more of a vinyl-phile, he use a 47 Labs 4715 Shigaraki Dac as his main digital system. He use 3 CD's ( vocals, accustic and Latin - La Ley Unplugged) and was amazed at how it sounded. Fun enough, he used a top of the line Sonoran RCA for connections.

Now, I don't have abilities to make my own modifications but I like tweaking. What I would like to do and keep it simple is :

1- Power... add an IEC to C-7 adapter like the one at the end of this page http://cryo-parts.com/adaptor.html and use one of my power cables. Could also buy a PS Audio Power Punch C-7 power cable and forget about the adapter.

2-Fuses..do they really work? This people have a cryonic treated one for less than $8.00 compared to the insane $30+ available from other suppliers. Here is the link http://cryo-parts.com/fuses.html . I believe the one needed is the 20mm 1.6A/250V Fast-blo type, right?

3-Damping... I will try some Dynamat type kind of damping material over the metallic frame inside the unit.

4-Feet... maybe some cones.

5- Base... my DIY Roller Base with concave pullers ( kitchen doors) and bearings resembling my DIYUMAS.

6- Remote control.. from EBay and like the ones some of you guys have posted here.

These will keep me busy for some time while having a good time with it...

Jose/PR
Old 21st January 2008, 07:47 PM   #1789
diyAudio Member

Point #2 ..opps! I oppened my unit this morning and the fuse is a 2A/125V type....

The unit was very clean considering its age. I cleaned the RCA's with ProGold too. Point #4...replaced the tiny felts with brass cones attached with double/side 3M tape and put some rubber rounds under the cone's tips. I will work the other things later.

The caps from the power section are Rubycons...

Based on Micks pictures to what I found inside my unit, the power section is different and the chip noticed in the "Removal of "the chip" in a Sony Playstation SCPH1002 " is also missing in the 1001 unit.

The metal casing is the same.

Jose.
Old 21st January 2008, 09:03 PM   #1790
diyAudio Member

I think the "chip" is an aftermarket hack, so if its not there it means nobody has been poking about in there before you.
Rather than spend money on super fuses consider the linear power supply from Micks pages. I'm still using the original smps ( with original fuse ) in a remote casing until spare cash permits, but it sounds good to me. I've read that the new supply improves the sound further but haven't heard it for myself yet.
For the money you cant go wrong with the playstation in my opinion.

Hide this!Advertise here!