Playstation as CD-player - Page 157 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2007, 07:52 AM   #1561
pieroh is offline pieroh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default military grade Russian paper in oil caps

Hi Mick,
some guys from Russia and the Ukraine sell these caps on ebay.

Different varieties: paper in oil or teflon dielectric are available.
They are quite big though, the two I built into the Playstation are rated to 200V-DC. The sound quality is excellent!

I think, I will replace the transistor regulator with another LM317 board and place my DC-PSU close to the playstation, so that no heat is dissipated inside the playstation enclosure.

I will use a solar (battery) charge controller and simple transformer/bridge rectifier setup as battery charger....more pictures soon.

piero
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:16 AM   #1562
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Pieroh,
why you use the second LM 317 to regulate 8,5 V ? I also use a battery power supply with two LM 317 (like described in my posts). You can use one LM 317 to regulate the 7,6 V. From this regulated power you can go to the second LM 317 to regulate the 3,2 V. The maximum power you need for the PS is 1500 mA for a short time, than 900 to 1200 mA whan playing CD`s. This is no problem for the LM 317 with a small heatplate.
BR Dommi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1480 klein.jpg (72.9 KB, 1164 views)
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:31 AM   #1563
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Speaking for myself - using two separate lines for 7.6 V and 3.3 V is to get the two supplies fully independent. And the double regulation for the 3.3 V is to get it perfectly stable - a well approved trick frequently used in good CD-players and preamps.

Mick
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:55 PM   #1564
diyAudio Member

Smile two separate supply lines

Hi,

"speaking for myself" I have nothing to add ...

I think the two supply line solution is the better choice and more stable! The heat dissipated is distributed to three devices, this has the benefit of reducing the thermal stress for each single component.

Next thing will be to add a charge controller thas comes with a built-in LVD (low voltage disconnect) to prevent battery deep discharge. And I will use a bigger battery with 17Ah.

stay tuned

pieroh
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:25 PM   #1565
diyAudio Member

Pieroh, thanks for the idea. I have just ordered some mil-grade pio caps on ebay. I will compare them to my Intertechnik Audyn plus of equal capacity.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:59 PM   #1566
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up ..with a little help from your friends....

Hi Mick,
you are welcome!!

I and many others here benefit from your ideas a lot!

Pieroh
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:59 PM   #1567
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok Mick an Pieroh,
i will try to seperate the power supply and check if im able to hear a difference. Pleas let me know how the russian capīs sounds !!

@ Pieroh,
i think is not neccessery to use a charge contr. with low voltage
disconnect because if the batt. pwr. fall below 9 V the LM 317 switch of the pwr. I use a relay to switch between Norm AC and bat. supply, so the 7 Ah batt. is ok for me.

BR Dommi
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:29 AM   #1568
diyAudio Member

Default Battery deep discharge!

Hi Dommi,
if you discharge a lead acid battery as low as 9V, deep discharge will occur. This will damage the battery!

Have a look at the spec. sheet of your accumulator. For nearly all lead acid batteries the limit is 10,8V. This is called final discharge voltage.

The lifetime of a battery depends on how many charging/discharging cycles you apply und how deep these cycles are. Max. recommended depth of discharge (DOD) is 80%.

A good advice is to stop at a voltage minimum of 11,5 V and immediately charge the battery.

Panasonic for example recommends a max. charging voltage of 14,5V - 14,9V (voltage controll!) for cyclic use of their Gel-batteries.

A fully charged 12V lead acid battery will have a (open circuit /Ruhespannung ) voltage of ~ 12,9 - 13,2 V when you let it rest for some hours after charging.

I am now using three LM317 regulator boards:
One for the 7,6V rail, a second one is set to 7V as supply line for the 3,6V rail, works perfect.

Pieroh
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:26 AM   #1569
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys your recent posts on the linear PSU inspired me to instal the one I made for a previous playstation in my newly modded one.

The change is clearly audible, I popped in Norah Jones - come away with me and it was if she was standing right there in front of me, the faint cymbals in the back ground of one of the tracks finally became distguinishable from a faint hiss that they sounded like before.

I'll get a few more pics up once its finally installed (I don't like showing my work when its this messy!!)

I'm still looking for a bamboo block like yours Mick, no places in the U.K seem to have one quite so nice (or without handles etc cut into it) , and shipping from the U.S. is out of the question!

Dan
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:32 AM   #1570
diyAudio Member

It doesnt need to be bamboo. The main point is that it is heavy and stiff. Another good solution is to use cross-grained wood (end grain). Sometimes nice and heavy ones of suitable size are sold as cutting boards.

Have a look at this one (expensive and too large, but you get the idea).

Mick

Edit: I just noticed that amazon also has bamboo boards

Hide this!Advertise here!