Playstation as CD-player - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2007, 08:51 AM   #1531
diyAudio Member

Well, im sure you know us audio types! If its a standard part and not expensive, it probably wont do!

Joking aside, im sure that a better quality and faster recovery / soft recovery bridge rectifier leads to an overall higher quality power supply - I'll hand it over to the more experienced guys to exlain why / elaborate on it (im starting my power engineering degree in september, so ask me again in 4 years and I'm sure I'll be able to tell you the ins and outs!)

Dan
Old 8th August 2007, 08:56 AM   #1532
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dan. Thanks for that.

Rob.
Old 8th August 2007, 09:48 AM   #1533
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin

On the two 7.6v boards you have 4 TO220's grouped together, they look like voltage regulators, but are they diodes ?

Of course. These are the rectifier diodes.
You can use a standard bridge if you whish, but my experience shows that it is good for the sound to use soft recovery diodes, and I made particularly good experiences with the MSR860

Mick
Old 8th August 2007, 10:23 AM   #1534
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mick_F. Thanks for your reply. I may have other questions as I work out what I need to do. (small brain - BIG ambitions)
Old 8th August 2007, 11:34 AM   #1535
diyAudio Member

Right, after having found a source of nice wooden cases and having seen pics of the dynastation I have abandoned my silly plan to give it a tray loading drive. I am rather inexperienced with electronics, but would like a working and somewhat modded machine fairly soon, so I think I shall leave building a custom power supply for now.

I have a few questions I was hoping that somebody might answer. First of all I am going to use the device with relatively cheap speakers, a set of ~£170 Logitech Z-5500s, so there are probably some mods that would simply not be worthwhile for me to perform.

Would using a good quality computer PSU with some modifications be viable for the playstation. Presumably some of the enthusiast and overclocker models which feature active PFC must provide pretty clean power?

Is it worth trying to replace components like caps on the system board?

Would good quality shielded mic/speaker wire be likely to handle the current from the PSU? My local Maplin has some, but they don't have any specs for it?
Old 8th August 2007, 12:58 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Hyper, care to share you source of cases? I've been looking for a suitable one for mine for some time but the best (and hassle free to purchase) is one of the gold tube amp chassis on ebay, which is just a compramise.

Dan
Old 8th August 2007, 03:02 PM   #1537
diyAudio Member

I went to a wood yard and asked if they could make well finished one off boxes to spec. I haven't ordered one yet as I'm not sure how much I want to spend but they are really flexible in terms of wood, joints, etc.

For the PSU case I contacted OKW UK (http://www.okw.co.uk/) a manufacturer of ABS plastic enclosures and asked for a free sample. I might try and get some free control knobs too.
Old 8th August 2007, 09:08 PM   #1538
diyAudio Member

Hello
Today i received my new laser BAM i s o AAM or ACM
Put it in the PS1 and started listening
No more problems with skipping or loss of signal
I presume the previous laser was really used because
the first impression i have with this one is that it produces a better sound
I have more detail in the sound image It may be the old laser could not read all the information anymore
It is a good deal i s o trying to fix older lasers i think

Anyone with batt power experience I am new on this thread and did not find information
I need to decide if i will build a new power supply or if batt power is a better choise
Forgive me my ignorance about this subject i only started using PS1 about a month ago and i love it

Greetings and enjoy the music

Chips666
Old 8th August 2007, 09:45 PM   #1539
diyAudio Member

Hi Dommi
Oeps Did not read the whole tread before replying

Thanks for the batt info i will try this in the future

About cd and cdr's
My new laser reads everything with your figures 1.48 and 1.80
Sometimes older cdr's burned at higher speeds skip
But anything burned with NERO at 8 speed works fine

In the past i was burning from disk to disk at high speeds without backup on the C-drive
These cdr's are not suitable for PS

Greetz an enjoy

Chips666
Old 9th August 2007, 05:34 AM   #1540
Dommi is offline Dommi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Chips,
try with battery power. Money and work are small, so you have nothing to loose. Look at www.pollin.de for Bleiakku. At www.conrad.de look for Art Nr. 130312 - LN , if you won`t to diy the LM voltageregulator. If you use this, you need a coolingpart (Kühlblech) for the LM 317.
Have a nice day and thanks for information about bias and gain !

BR Dommi

Hide this!Advertise here!