Playstation as CD-player

Hi. I have problem with my modded PSX. I made all mods from Sony PlayStation 1 SCPH-1002 as High End CD player Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de . The outputs resistor I have 22k. But when I play CD, I must have 75% on the amplifier if I would like to hear something. After month, I delete the 22k resistors, but without the resistors is too loud. Which value of resistor should I use?

You could put a couple of small pots in place of the resistors. There is space at the rear of the PS1 by cutting the chassis and removing the unused connectors. 20K pots or a 10K resistor in series with a 10K pot should get you there.
BTW.. what is wrong with running the amplifier at 75% ?
Alternatively, I put a small preamplifier in the circuit with variable gain and that solved the problem (together with a delsy for turn on / turn off to suppress any clicks)

Hi. I have problem with my modded PSX. I made all mods from Sony PlayStation 1 SCPH-1002 as High End CD player Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de . The outputs resistor I have 22k. But when I play CD, I must have 75% on the amplifier if I would like to hear something. After month, I delete the 22k resistors, but without the resistors is too loud. Which value of resistor should I use?

K.I.S.S.* is the best path in audio! Have you tried Mick's Mod?

You have a very good mod on Manfred's site, the PSU Mod! I can assure you that It delivers a better transparency and dinamic! Use good quality components, caution with the their size..., total cost for PSU mod is around 50€!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

* Keep It Super Simple

I have all mods, included power supply like new 330uF/400V with 2,2nF/630V WIMA, WIMA MP3 X2 0,1uF with 22nF/630V, new 1N4007, 4x 2200uF, 2,2uF WIMA, 1uF WIMA.

First I will try with 10k + 10k pot.

What's wrong with 75% at amp? Nothing. But with 22k resitors I can't hear anything with 1-70% at amp. From 75 and higher I can hear something.

Thanks and regards

I have all mods, included power supply like new 330uF/400V with 2,2nF/630V WIMA, WIMA MP3 X2 0,1uF with 22nF/630V, new 1N4007, 4x 2200uF, 2,2uF WIMA, 1uF WIMA.

First I will try with 10k + 10k pot.

What's wrong with 75% at amp? Nothing. But with 22k resitors I can't hear anything with 1-70% at amp. From 75 and higher I can hear something.

Thanks and regards

You missed some components on that list of the psu mod, but i'm assuming that's a synthesis..., (you can have 13200uF with 6x 2200uF)

The pots are not an option for me, less components in audio path = better sound! Have you talked to Manfred? Have you tried another amp? Have you cheked the input impedance of the amp?

I rarely pass 25%-30% volume with Mick's mod! That's an easy mod with great results and just a few variables...

Good luck!

Good morning.
I'm new here.I start my modified playstation 1 (model 1002 and 5502).
Thank you all for your advice I read here (there are a lot of pages;-) I have not finished reading ...)
PS1 to a really good sound!
I'll post some pictures as soon as my PS1 is over.
Again thank you and see you soon:hohoho:

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to be upfront with everyone; I know nothing of electronics. I do, however, know that I want good sound.

I currently have an SCPH-5501 and was hoping to mod it to have RCA out instead of the multi-out. A few questions for everyone:

1.) Do you think this is a good idea? Will this be beneficial?
2.) Can anyone point me on how to do the RCA mod, if it exists?
3.) Which modification, in your own opinion, yields the most results?

Eagerly awaiting your responses. Thank you!

Have now purchased an SCPH-1002 off E-bay for a reasonable price. My wish is to use this one as transport only to my separate DAC. I have found out by the help of this forum how to enable the digital out pin on chip CXD2510. I would also like to slave it to my master clock sitting in the DAC. It seems to me that the clock is divided down to 16.9 Mhz
for the CD audio section from a 67.73 Mhz x-tal. Does anybody in here have some schematics or drawings, information on how this clock signal is handled on the board?

Had to investigate a little to see if I could find out what the other two IC´s that comes after the CXD2510 and before the AKM DAC does. The CXD1815 is just a controller : CD-CONTROLLER ? PSXDEV But the chip that comes thereafter probably explains why so many people like the sound that comes out of the inbuilt DAC. It is a CXD2925. It is a sound processing unit : SPU ? PSXDEV. This is a way of manipulating the sound in the digital domain to make it more pleasing to the human ear. You have to do a translate to get it in English. Taking the signal from the digital output (SPDIF) to a separate DAC bypasses all that and my guess is that the sound will be more natural without this manipulation or cosmetic if you like.

Last edited:
This probably should be on the swap meet thread, but just wanted to post that I have several units I bought as a package and never tried to mod. I'm all digital now so don't need them. Don't know if any are usable for this project, but they are selling at the price FREE + shipping. ;)

PM me if interested.

SCPH-5501 @ 2

SCPH-9001

SCPH-7001

SCPH-1001 @ 2 (1 All parts present but disassembled / 1 missing laser head)

Hello guys,
I have modified SCPH-1002 with overload (?) sound. I have no idea what goes wrong with the modification (all done like a Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften SONY PS1 Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de, including power supply).
Here is audio file with startup sound and modification photos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_LU1rjq4s&feature=youtu.be

I have used OPA2134UA and DC2WSIL5/12 (DC/DC converter).
In audio section are 35k Ohm resistors, but on 39k (smd) effect is the same.

My testing platform is Logiteh x-530 (PC speakers) or FiiO with CAL! headphones (better parts is not avaible now).

Great stuff, i'll get on it!

Whilst I'm here, how does one adapt a 5 pin power supply for a 1002 motherboard?

This is the only pic of a 5 pin lead on a 1002 motherboard I can find.

b11.jpg

Also, does the 15v supply from the dc/dc converter solder the the resistor and capacitor above the op amp?

b004-3.jpg

SCPH-1002 with overload

Hello guys,
I have modified SCPH-1002 with overload (?) sound. I have no idea what goes wrong with the modification (all done like a Feinste ANALOGE Klangeigenschaften SONY PS1 Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de, including power supply).
Here is audio file with startup sound and modification photos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_LU1rjq4s&feature=youtu.be

I have used OPA2134UA and DC2WSIL5/12 (DC/DC converter).
In audio section are 35k Ohm resistors, but on 39k (smd) effect is the same.

My testing platform is Logiteh x-530 (PC speakers) or FiiO with CAL! headphones (better parts is not avaible now).

Hello @Koveras,
where Is the exact plan for this modification?
What happens on pause function when the CD plays (rotates CD, and you push START) and at the amp is of maximum level?
greting @Cochise

www.spektral-audio.de

@ Koverasich ,
have also modified a Playstation 1 SCPH-1000 guidance of deutschermanfred.de. I am very satisfied with the result. Obviously is Manfred the only one who has published a complete guide, and all for free.

Did you do the trace cut before you soldered the OPA2134? Did you measure the voltage at the OPA and DC/DC converter?
If you 're stuck, then write to Manfred an email. He allways gives competent and helpfull answers. Here is his email: info@deutschermanfred.de

Hello @Pg2005,
the question is "where is the construction plan for @Koveras modification" I did not ask what is on the page yet offered shall, because it does not solve the problem.
On the page "feine analoge Klangeigenschaften" I can not (more) find this plan - why? @Koveras has this modes from there.
So I analyzed according @Koveras film, and I think I know where the problem is. I have explained this up in a German forum two years ago.
>>> What happens on pause function when the CD plays (rotates CD, and you push START) and at the amp is of maximum level? <<<
I think all who have built the get this problem.

! - The opamp (also the BB2134UA) oscillates - !

Look my pictures.
I'm TET-Computerspezials and I do this, the name of the entire modes is

"clean Stereo channel separation "

And what does that have to do with oscillating opamp's? -
very much try it out before you talk bad again over my modes. (!gelle!)
http://spektral-audio.de/14.html
reganrds @Cochise

Attachments

• DSC00112.JPG
    DSC00112.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 667
  • DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 596
  • DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 588