Playstation as CD-player - Page 146 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2007, 04:09 AM   #1451
coppa is offline coppa  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default psOne battery pack

from what ive read so far it seems that the stock 1001 and the stock 101 mini ps sound the same, but what about using the battery pack for the psOne to run it of the purest dc power?. would that be a good way to get sound thats better than stock 1001 with out having to mod anything?.
Old 10th July 2007, 06:50 AM   #1452
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

No. The 101 is the worst sounding PS of the first series, while the 1001 is the best sounding. Your information is wrong.

As for the battery pack - just try and report here
Old 10th July 2007, 08:01 PM   #1453
sho3773 is offline sho3773  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sho3773
Hi everyone,

i am about to mod my PS1 1002 and i was wondering about whether i should change RCA Jacks or keep the originals ( i want to keep the original case). Wich did you use?

While reading the article "Modifiying the output stage..." on Mickes page (thanks for the great webside mick!) i noticed that he used 22k Ohm Resistors, a other german page recommend 2k, what should i use?

Regards
Eric
Old 11th July 2007, 10:26 AM   #1454
garbage is offline garbage  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sho3773

i am about to mod my PS1 1002 and i was wondering about whether i should change RCA Jacks or keep the originals ( i want to keep the original case). Wich did you use?

While reading the article "Modifiying the output stage..." on Mickes page (thanks for the great webside mick!) i noticed that he used 22k Ohm Resistors, a other german page recommend 2k, what should i use?
hi eric

i found it difficult to desolder the rca connectors on my ps1. i kept the originals intact for now as i am not putting it in a new chassis.

for the output stage, mick gave the reason for the choice of resistors. it is dependent on resistance that the following stage will see.

i used 30k kiwame resistors as i had them lying around from a previous project.

cheers
garbage
Old 11th July 2007, 10:44 AM   #1455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sho3773

The resistor and capacitor value determine the cutoff frequency of the high-pass filter they form. If you choose the resistor value too low, the frequency will be too high and you loose bass. To my experience, the cutoff should be set to some Hz, and the input impedance of the following stage has to be taken into account. See text on my site.

Mick
Old 11th July 2007, 10:52 AM   #1456
diyAudio Member

Just in order to report some new developments from my side: I am now completely circumventing all output circuitry without any replacement. I lead the signal from the DAC directly to new RCAs, which are located on a small metal plate at the position of the parallel port (which I removed). I will show some pics soon on my site. The output has some DC but this is eliminated by a capacitor before the next stage.

I am doing this because I have, in a recent test, noticed that the sound quality strongly depends on the quality of the output capacitors (a well known thing, indeed). However, the capacitors I considered by far the best (among those I tested) are Intertechnik Audyn-cap plus. These capacitors are enormous and will by no way fit into the case of the PS1. Also, this gives me more versatility concerning the choice of components after the PS1 (in particular, to avoid leading the signal through more capacitors than absolutely necessary).

Mick
Old 11th July 2007, 04:59 PM   #1457
diyAudio Member

Couldn't agree with you more Mick
Old 11th July 2007, 06:02 PM   #1458
coppa is offline coppa  Canada
diyAudio Member

hey mick could you cut a hole in the plastic box of the psx and mount the capacitors externally?. i think that would look realy awesome!. there is some hardware avaliable for doing this, all my guitar amps have are dome this way.

http://www.amptone.com/images/dsax84fr.jpg

just an example, i did not build that amp just a google image
Old 11th July 2007, 06:14 PM   #1459
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick_F
Just in order to report some new developments from my side: I am now completely circumventing all output circuitry without any replacement. I lead the signal from the DAC directly to new RCAs, which are located on a small metal plate at the position of the parallel port (which I removed). I will show some pics soon on my site. The output has some DC but this is eliminated by a capacitor before the next stage.

I am doing this because I have, in a recent test, noticed that the sound quality strongly depends on the quality of the output capacitors (a well known thing, indeed). However, the capacitors I considered by far the best (among those I tested) are Intertechnik Audyn-cap plus. These capacitors are enormous and will by no way fit into the case of the PS1. Also, this gives me more versatility concerning the choice of components after the PS1 (in particular, to avoid leading the signal through more capacitors than absolutely necessary).

Mick
Interesting. My PS1 still has the coupling caps as per your mod. My other interest is in the old Philips CD104, and in this player I replaced the coupling caps with wire links. My preamp has DC blockers in it, so I decided that the CD104 didn't need them. The PS1 may end up in my childrens system sometime so I decided that DC blocking was important for safety.

Maybe the way to solve this space problem is to put the Caps in the amp , not in the CD player ?
Old 11th July 2007, 07:40 PM   #1460
diyAudio Member

Well, currently I consider to put the caps simply into the cable.

Of course, putting the caps into the amp is the most obvious solution, but in mine there is also no space for these biggies. The ones I have are 65mm long and 35mm in diameter!

Mick

Hide this!Advertise here!