Playstation as CD-player - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2007, 09:34 AM   #1351
a333bt is offline a333bt  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigurd
HI a 333bt,
I reniewed the capacitors C 406 and C 407 near the DAC., 10 µF.
That is important.
For the ouput I use 20µf PIO capacitors directly from the DAC pin 15 and 16 and a resistor 100kohms to ground.
iI use a VERY SIMPLE amplifier JFET 2N3819 for some amplification on a battery suply 20volt...After the amplification also PIO capacitors 20 µF.
It's very good: more deepness!!! more stereo-image, soundcolour the same, so ... good, VERY GOOD !!!

I dont want to work for so a simple ouput stage with tubes... power supply, renewed the tubes...
So I go for a good J-FET stage. AND it is good. If you hear the difference; i would give you a medaille!!!

with regards and i am modest.

Experience first; then knowingness.

Quote:
Originally posted by sigurd
set the laser-unit on a brigde in ply-wood ( pine or spruce ) instead of the METAL base. That's important too. With the rubbers to support!

Hi Siqurd,

do you maybe some fotos how did you manage to squeze 20uF PIO capacitor and ply-wood?
If you have schematic for J-FET stage, is wellcome also.
where did you get 20uF PIO?

I really like yours idea, i have same thinking (PIO, JFET).

gretings from Slovenia
Old 2nd May 2007, 06:09 AM   #1352
jake111 is offline jake111  United States
diyAudio Member

hi all,
i just finished replacing the ps1 output stage as on micks site. i opted not to use blocking caps and it sounds good! being a newbie i have some (maybe stupid) questions:
-for the ground resistor, does the tolerance make a difference? i used 22k 1/2 watt 5% tolerance resistors. it looks like mick used a 1% tolerance.
-in recasing the psu. is there any tweaks or mods for improved sound/performance?
-anybody know the input impedance of a si super t-amp? i can see the input caps, but not sure about the resistors. i'm trying figure out my total setup impedance and cut off frequency. t-amp and ps1.

thanks, jess
Old 2nd May 2007, 07:57 AM   #1353
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

The tolerance of the resistors does not matter. You should match the channels, however.

As for the PSU, people have reported improvements by replacing single capacitors or diodes. However, the improvement by replacing the whole PSU by a good linear one (see my website) is so overwhelming that fiddling with parts exchanges seems not to make sense.

Mick
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:04 AM   #1354
diyAudio Member

Default RC Controller

Mick,

Excellent thread, great site....

I am looking at getting a PS1 and giving this a go. But before I do I'm trying to add up the cost and see if it's worth it or not.
I could possibly pick up a unit for about $20-30NZD. But I would want a remote for it as well. Where would I get one from and what would they cost.
And if this gets up to around $100, is it actually worth doing, as I'm sure you could buy a second hand CD player for that sort of money.
I managed to pick up a second Yamaha CDX-490 for $15 which sounds ok, not fantastic, but hey $15.
I mean, after you completed your mods, was the difference really that good, and where do you think the sound quality is at now, compared to other, 'run of the mill' CD players......?

sorry for the silly questions......
Just have to be sure, before I start down this road.

I like to tinker around, but if it's going to start to cost a bit. I would like to know if it's actually going to be worth it. Other wise the miss's will have my b........ls,
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:10 PM   #1355
a333bt is offline a333bt  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: RC Controller

Quote:
Originally posted by enzedone
Mick,

Excellent thread, great site....

I am looking at getting a PS1 and giving this a go. But before I do I'm trying to add up the cost and see if it's worth it or not.
I could possibly pick up a unit for about $20-30NZD. But I would want a remote for it as well. Where would I get one from and what would they cost.
And if this gets up to around $100, is it actually worth doing, as I'm sure you could buy a second hand CD player for that sort of money.
I managed to pick up a second Yamaha CDX-490 for $15 which sounds ok, not fantastic, but hey $15.
I mean, after you completed your mods, was the difference really that good, and where do you think the sound quality is at now, compared to other, 'run of the mill' CD players......?

sorry for the silly questions......
Just have to be sure, before I start down this road.

I like to tinker around, but if it's going to start to cost a bit. I would like to know if it's actually going to be worth it. Other wise the miss's will have my b........ls,

hi,
PS1 SCPH-1002 is really good player.
To my ears, more i listening, more i am amazed.
It is not "over warming" - to sweet, ... sound, but natural.
Nothing is missing, or disturbing, but still very detailed.

I thing is best player to money you can buy.
When i heared it, i quickly sell phono player (true i have not many LPs).

Now i listening - testing direct from DAC 22uF BG NX-HiQ and 100k Vishay-Dale resistor from Siqurd values sugestion. Maybe to better oil caps.

Still i need to change base for transport to wood.

Many thanks also to Mike_F sharing experiences on web pages.

regards, Bostjan
Old 3rd May 2007, 05:53 PM   #1356
sigurd is offline sigurd  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi,
For the psu of Mick F. can I also change R5 ( 270 ohm ) instead the zener 4,3 v? I have 4,1 volt even with other zeners, and with some zener 4,3 v.
Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:34 PM   #1357
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

You can change R5 but only within small limits. It regulates the current through the base of the transistor and depends on the latters beta. Changing R5 will not change the output voltage.

The problem you see is that zeners usually have quite a large tolerance and you need to test quite a lot to find one delivering the correct value. If you always have too low an output value you can put a voltage divider behind the zener.

Mick
Old 3rd May 2007, 06:57 PM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Default PSX

Thanks for answer me.
Yes, I understand. But I think that the voltage between the basis and the emitter must be 0,6 volt. It is 0,4 volt. The voltage on the zener is 4,4 volt. So minus 0,6 volt , the emittor must have 3,8 volt. I mesure
4,06volt. I don't understand it. Maybe a BD243c who is not ok?
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:20 PM   #1359
diyAudio Member

OK. It's all right.
It sounds very good, but it take also some time to ' play-in '.
Thanks very much for Mick's psu and all his work done !
With regards,

Sigurd.
Old 4th May 2007, 01:18 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

I tried the psu with MUR860 ( i don't have jet MSR860 but is coming )
but better than MUR860 is a bridge MB354.

Hide this!Advertise here!