Playstation as CD-player - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2006, 12:32 PM   #1131
D0Hbert is offline D0Hbert  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I just got 2 Playstations, both of them japanese models, SCPH-1000 and SCPH-3000. When I opened both units, they actually have the same DAC and opamp. However, the only thing removed in the 3000 series was the S-video output, supposedly to cut cost. I'm playing the 3000 right now and didn't notice any audible difference with the 1000. Thus, I think its just fine to get the 3000 in case the 1000 is not readily available on you end. Both models have the audio and video rca outputs. Thanks
Old 3rd September 2006, 07:03 PM   #1132
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I want to get rid of the output caps on my PSX and replace them with output transformers.

My thinking is that 600:600 Ohm should work. Am I in the right here?
Old 5th September 2006, 11:07 AM   #1133
D0Hbert is offline D0Hbert  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Need an advice from the modders, aside from actually cutting off the connection on the pcb, by scratching it off, isn't it better to just remove the 100k resistor that's in series with the (+) leg of the rca output? Is this resistor the last component actually attached in series? Where is this resistor located in case removing it is an option? I don't want to scratch off the connection so I can preserve the psx board. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2006, 12:34 AM   #1134
diyAudio Member

I can't answer your question since I did my mod by the numbers. I'm writting because this threat seems to have gone stale. Not much activity. I'm waiting for advice on my output transformers.
Old 7th September 2006, 01:02 AM   #1135
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default D0Hbert... scratching vs removing the 100 Ohm resistor

I wouldn't be too concerned about "cutting" the trace on the pcb board. A small piece of good quality solid core wire (like magnat wire), can always be used to solder from one side of the trace to the other or from one solder pad to the other.

have a look at Mick_F's website for complete mods, most of them documented here in this thread.
Old 7th September 2006, 08:20 AM   #1136
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

DOHbert, as far as I remember the 100k resistors are close to the caps or muting transtors, but there is other stuff closer to the RCAs, i.e. the small output caps and the unidentified "thing". I recommend to cut the traces, as Nanook said, they can be reconnected easy later on.

phn, I have no idea about your output transformers. Maybe you should ask in the tube section....

Mick
Old 7th September 2006, 02:20 PM   #1137
diyAudio Member

Hi chaps, just touching base to say that I've nearly completed my re-box with integrated t-amp.
I also implemented Jurgenís JFET buffer directly onto the board. I was a bit confused by the pin-out of the old NJM1200 though? It seems that the signal inputs are switched from the datasheet. Not that it matters but it did throw me when I went to find a grounding point!
Iíve also wired my remote receiver directly onto the motherboard and thrown all the front section . Iíll post the pin-out and pictures if/when itís all done and working????
TTFN
Old 7th September 2006, 10:08 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

Mick, you're right. The tube heads should know transformers. I have actually looked into it. It looks like it should be no problem. But since I don't know these things well enough...
Old 10th September 2006, 04:05 PM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Hello to all in this great Forum!

I'am new here, and very interested at the sounds and modifications of the PS1.....at the moment i modify my PS with a lot of ideas that i found in this threat....when my tube out is built and ready i will describe what sounds i hear..

excuse my bad english, i try my best

greetings to all

Moonspell
Old 10th September 2006, 05:39 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member

At least we are no sheep.

Hide this!Advertise here!