Playstation as CD-player - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2006, 06:40 PM   #1011
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Jonathan!

To be honest, it was not difficult with the cable I used. It is relatively thin coax cable and stiffness was not an issue.

Actually it could be done even more sophisticated: One could solder the shield on one side to a ground point on the board in order to have all RFI actively shorted to ground. The way I did it, shielding is only passive. Seems to be enough, though.

Mick
Old 21st June 2006, 10:57 PM   #1012
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have just done Mick's "Replacing the output stage."

I hear a difference. The bass is improved, the area the PSX in. But it's past midnight, so any serious listening will have to wait.

I'm stupid. I decided to replace the suspension as well. Because I use these big military-grade caps, I have to place them so I won't be able remove the metal top completely. That I knew. So I decided first to do the suspension. First when I have that working I would go to the output. Like thinking people do it. And I had all reasons to be extra careful since I used stuff not entirely suitable. The screws I needed were temporarily sold out so I had to use a couple of others. Of course, I got all the problems I feared. 2 hours work. Another 2 fixing stuff.

The remote receiver in the photo is just to illustrate where it will go, when I get there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psx.jpg (60.1 KB, 1198 views)
Old 21st June 2006, 11:35 PM   #1013
diyAudio Member

The original stage cuts bass a lot. (Was one of the PSX's characteristics as a CDP also.) I think it's because some TVs would have had a hard time handling it.

Just keep the screws loose and it should work like the original suspension.

Quote:
Hi
I like the mute idea using solenoids
How about a very simple mute/delay circuit
running off the 7805? Could it reset if the
reset button is pushed too? Startup is a bit of a pain
without a screen sometimes.(:-(( That little button get
pressed often! I supposed one of those little LCD Sony
screens would solve the operating in the dark problem.
Were they ever PAL ones? Did they throw out even more RF?
Use a small 555 timer or something similar for the relay switching.

As for the reset button, there's no need for it. If you blocked the cover-open switch, all you have to do is to wire a switch that cuts the connection of the switch when pressed. It will make a faster "reset". I also saw that you can just put a new disc, press play, and it will work anyways.
Old 22nd June 2006, 03:25 PM   #1014
diyAudio Member

Indeed, I had to loosen the screws. The CDM got bent out of shape enough for the disc to scrape against the plastic. The wrong screws I don't mind. DIY and tweaking often comes down to using what you have at hand. I used professional microphone cable because it would be messy with four coax cables.

The PSX sounds great. Not only was it too late last night, I wanted to give the caps (4.7 uF) a workout before giving my final judgement. It didn't sound good at all last night. Increased bass, but all stuffy. It sounds more "modern" now. The rolled off bass gave the PSX that cosy vintage sound, which I do like.

Edit: And you was able to understand the sentence that I for some reason (tired) never finished.
Old 22nd June 2006, 03:42 PM   #1015
diyAudio Member

Your screw heads seem quite high. I guess that it's hard to prevent the CD from scraping on them. Either the CDM is way too bent, either the screw heads are too high... And have you removed the little tab on one side? Maybe that's why it wasn't flat?

Quote:
The rolled off bass gave the PSX that cosy vintage sound, which I do like.
Oh, that's the trick! Well maybe you could change the caps to roll off the bass again.

As for me, I still plug the DAC directly in the amp(no caps and resistors) and I find it sounds pretty good compared to a lot of CDPs anyways.
Old 22nd June 2006, 05:41 PM   #1016
diyAudio Member

That's not the heads of the screws, or bolts. I use bolts for hex keys, the only 4x16 mm bolts they had in stock. They're not ideal, but work.

The CD scraped the actual CDM, not the cabinet. I did do some filing on the inside of the cabinet.

The PSX sounds so great now, I can live without the roll off. I will give no caps I try next time, or on whatever project comes first. I like the idea of not using caps. I couldn't say if the caps add or detract.
Old 22nd June 2006, 06:02 PM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will give no caps I try next time, or on whatever project comes first. I like the idea of not using caps. I couldn't say if the caps add or detract.
That's not a good idea : There's a lot of DC current going out of the DAC. (Power on/off and turning up/down the volume make the speakers move a lot)

I use it like this because I don't want to pay $20 shipping for $7 of parts, but it sounds great.

You can use no caps if your amp has some.
Old 22nd June 2006, 06:26 PM   #1018
diyAudio Member

There's THAT problem, of course. The PSX will go though a tube amp.

Seriously, this is nothing I have given any thought. But there are two areas I'm very careful about, phono preamp and amp to speakers. I don't want to fry the cart or speakers.
Old 22nd June 2006, 07:10 PM   #1019
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There's THAT problem, of course. The PSX will go though a tube amp.
Looks like it wasn't a good idea to run my PSX thru my HF-12s... (At least, it was only for a few minutes)
Old 23rd June 2006, 05:41 AM   #1020
diyAudio Member

Hi gents,

here are some pics of the JFET follower I have implemented in my PSX. Top Side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0184-2.jpg (35.4 KB, 1014 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!