Azur 640C question....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
I open my 640C V2 today and noticed that one of the big caps(4700uF) is slightly blow on the top on power board so both need to be replaced. Next to them are two 1000uF and I guess they can be replace as well in the same time. My question is what caps should I go for. Also while I'm here I heard that NE5532P could be replace so another question is which opamp to go for.
I'm good with iron so replacement is not a problem just need to know what to replace it with. Thanks for any info and sorry if I post this in wrong section I'm new to the forum...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Go for good quality commercial grade caps of 105C temperature rating, and make sure they have the correct footprint and lead pitch.

If you are in the UK then try CPC, Farnell or RS.

The LM4562 would be a safe bet for swapping the 5532 but you could also investigate fitting FET opamps such as the TLE2072. I wouldn't go for anything more exotic, at least not unless you have the means to check that the replacements are stale in this particular application.

If you fit sockets then you can experiment a little.

And welcome to diyAudio :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
How much better... it doesn't always work like that I'm afraid. Firstly you have to make your own mind up whether you like one type over another.

Where it gets complex is that some opamps behave a little differently in applications like CD players, and with a suspicion falling on very small residuals of high frequency noise produced by the player affecting the linearity of the device. The 5532 may be more susceptible than some others to that kind of effect. FET input opamps are immune to that particular distortion mechanism.

If you are fitting sockets then I would suggest you try the cost effective TL072 which in my experience can be hard to beat. Don't believe all you read about it, once the darling of the industry it fell from favour as other devices gained prominence.

And whichever opamps you order, make sure you get the correct package and also make sure you buy from recognised suppliers.

Don*t use this 2 because already soft washed out sound will be even softer. This amp use if i remember correct at least 3 opamps on signal before entering poweramp. Just replace 1 is not enough. Also to much signal decoupling capacitors... I have used 4562 or 49720 for first buffer also opa2132 was stable and 49990 at preamp position. It was 4..5 year ago i can*t remember exactlly.

I was listening to 3 cd every days before I did this upgrade. Now I will listen to same 3cd for a few days but first track I play and differences are obvious... so I will leave it for now and experiment more in future.
Anyway very happy with this upgrade.
Thanks again

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I find with opamp swaps that you need to live with the thing for quite a while and gradually form an opinion. If you find yourself drawn to listening to more music, or not wanting to do other things because it all sounds so good then you are onto a winner.

If you are bored, mind wandering to other things etc then the system/player isn't performing well.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not many. In my Micromega Stage 2 I found I genuinely preferred the TL071 over the NE5534 and suspected I liked the OPA604 even better. In the end I used the OPA604 for the I/V convertor and the AD845 for the output filter/buffer.

For linear gain blocks (standard amplifier not subject to hash and noise from a D/A convertor I still rate the TL071/72/74 very highly. The OPA604 is also a top performer (the dual OPA2604 has been discontinued recently). The LM4562 is another firm favourite for normal gain block use.

I still think that in CD players that a lot of the differences come down to how the device reacts to the HF noise present from the DAC and that the FET devices win out over the BJT's such as the 5532.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.