Help Arcam CD73

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys this is what happened to my Arcam CD73.
Motors in the mechanism suddenly became crazy. If I turn the unit on the player starts the loading and finds no disc but the spinning motor does not stop spinning and also the laser keeps sliding up and down untill it reaches one of the ends, but the motor does not stop trying to move it further and the weels start jumping one over another producing a nasty noise. This happens whith or without CD in the unit.
I did not have problems before and the unit could read all cds correctly, untill one day while I was listening to music the music stopped and a continous noise was produced from the player. That noise, as I tried to explaine before, comes from the two weels of the laser unit that are forced even when the laser is at the end of the rail.
Do you think I would solve the problem by changing the mechanism?
Thank you for helping :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have to measure the rails next then. I would also disconnect the sled motor to prevent damage to the gears, or take a gear out.

(Make absolutely sure the caps are OK, and if you do an image search for 'failed electrolytic' you will see lots of examples of how failed caps look)

this is what the inside looks like..
To be honest I am not shure where to test voltage. I have done it several times on vintage valve amplifiers and that was quite easy, but in this case I am a bit confused :-(
Sorry I am quite ignorant :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 90
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds as though this is going to be above what you are comfortable working on and it would be easy to cause more problems if things went wrong.

You need to be able to identify from the service manual all the separate supplies the player uses (there are many) and then check and confirm all are OK. That is always the first step in any faultfinding.

Your pictures show what seem to be four voltage regulators mounted on heatsinks and two simply PCB mounted. So there are six supplies there together with the unregulated ones (another six). There could be other supplies local to various parts as well.

Just one more question.. aparently there should be a sensor somewhere to indicate the end of the end of the rail, could that be the cause of the fault?
Meantime motors for spinning the CD and moving the laser do not move anymore when i switch the player on and when insert a CD but the tray still opens and closes correctly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.