Sony CDP-XA30ES - Error in the self-calibrating Servo Unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sony CDP-XA30ES - Error in the self-calibrating Tracking Servo-Unit

This model works fine since several weeks (after replace the optical pick-up, several caps and re-soldering of various solder joints, especially arround the ICs with QFP-outlines on the servo board).

Now a new issue is present: The CD plays only between 10 and 30 seconds after read in the TOC and pressing the "PLAY" button.
Then the laser beam loss the track and the spindle motor turns faster and faster until I switch off the device.
The eye-pattern (RF-) signal looks very untidy after loss the track.

On this servo board I don't find any variable resistors for the tracking servo and the focus servo. This means, that obviously a self-calibrating version is in use.

I want to know in general, as I must begin with the troubleshooting on compact disc player with self calibrating versions for tracking and focus servo.

BTW - the KSS-213C works fine in a second cd player - this means, this part turns out to be a cause of error.
Unfortunately uses the second player not the same servo PCB - so I cannot perform some comparative measurements.

Thank you very much for some advices.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tiefbassuebertr,
Look for a mechanical issue that prevents the laser assy from tracking the CD. Normally you would look at the sled motor servo output to see how high the drive gets to the motor. Also look at the tracking servo output. High levels of drive indicate that it is mechanically jammed - or that the motor isn't soldered into circuit.

Fall back on basics. Good luck

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.