The ultimate TDA1543 DAC layout??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1 Those are ferrite beads from DK.

2 First, because I didn't mount them right from the beginning (to observe the influence), it would be hard to mount them on top, since other components are in the way (as the layout is pretty tight). Second, I mount two caps, piggy backed, 0.015 goes first, 0.33 goes on top, so they actually might be too high and not enough clearance may be available. But I might try to mount them on top with next version.

3 There is additional ceramic bypass cap on reg input, soldered directly between input pin and ground.

4 If you look at first Kusunoki DAC, he also connected pin 24 to digital supply. I just followed his choice on that. I would be really interested if there is any reasoning for that, as the layout could be greatly simplified if this pin was connected to analog supply pin.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28879&highlight=kusunoki

5 Elso suggested the 470R/220n values. They seem to work well.

6 I didn't really compared the 3n3 value to any other values.

7 The choke regulated supply is based on 3rd Kususnoki DAC, but it's rather simplified, with only one choke and 2 series resistors (in ea. leg) in the link I provided above.

Peter,
thanks for the reply. Two more questions.

3 There is additional ceramic bypass cap on reg input, soldered directly between input pin and ground.

What is the value of this additional bypass?

7 The choke regulated supply is based on 3rd Kususnoki DAC, but it's rather simplified, with only one choke and 2 series resistors (in ea. leg) in the link I provided above

What value choke did you use, 0.4mH or the 1uH? What is preferred make, Panasonic ELJ or something else? What Rdc? (Sorry for the hand holding).

It seems PSUs on 3rd Kusonoki DAC (modified simple) are the same as the ones for the 1st DAC (the over-built "bucket DAC," which is more a personal scientific manifesto). Has anyone ever tried the Mains filter before the transformer listed on Kusonoki schematic TDK ZUG 2203-11E.

There is an incredible amount of RF suppression on the supplies.

Thanks

James

Kusunoki

slawney said:
Has anyone ever tried the Mains filter before the transformer listed on Kusonoki schematic TDK ZUG 2203-11E.

There is an incredible amount of RF suppression on the supplies.

Thanks

James
Hello James,
Kusunoki is on the right track. [no more hints/jokes]
And you won't hear me call him Kusunoki San.
Ryohei Kusunoki does have some good ideas.
I am greatfull, ooops grateful.
:clown:

I tried mains filter (although different one) and initially it seemed better, but later I came to conclusion that it's not better, but actually worse, and I'm not using the mains filtering anymore.

The cap before reg is 0.1u. The chokes were chosen rather arbitrary and I can't confirm that this is the best choice. I liked the size, overall design and this was the smallest value in that package (0.6mH) PLK1077.

Peter:
Yes, o.6mH is the lowest value in Panasonic N series line filter chokes. If we wanted to follow Kusonoki and put a 0.4mH choke right after the rectifiers, and wanted to use Panasonic, there would only be one choice (there is only one Panasonic line filter that measures o.4mH!): ELF24V080 from Series V "excellent attenuation of high frequency characteristics". Sounds nice, right? Downside is that it is rated for 8A and larger power handling means it is heavier. Plus, along with 1mH, there would be the problem of arrangement to avoid mutual magnetic influence. Arranging them far away from one another would not suit a compact modular PSU concept, so perhaps putting them in opposite direction. Also read on the Panasonic site: "These products are not suitable for noise suppression more than 10MHz. Using other filters or arranging the PWB patterns and leads position etc. are more effective." I love that "etc."
P.S. wonder what the flux leakage was from that TDK ZUG2203-11E Kusonoki used.

Where can I buy this chip, TDA1543, in reasonable price?

Hi! guys,

Recently, I am interested in making a Non-oversmpling DAC, just like Peter's. I almost searched the websites that I can found, and got great deals of schematics and documents but few sites sold this chip, TDA1543, in reasonable price. One guy told me the resaonable price should be 0.5~1 U.S. dollors. Is that ture? The cheapest price I found was 4 or 5 EU dollors, and the most expensive price was 10 pounds! These pirces are all in one pic!
Gee! :mad:

Where can I found the most reasonable price of this chip?

I guess that this chip is almost out of stock in whole world, I nearly can't find it in Taiwan!:hot:

Sorry for out of the topic. Wish your guys don't mind.
Thanks!

Re: Where can I buy this chip, TDA1543, in reasonable price?

Peleus said:
Hi! guys,

Where can I found the most reasonable price of this chip?

I guess that this chip is almost out of stock in whole world, I nearly can't find it in Taiwan!:hot:

Thanks!

On reichelt.de you can find it at a very cheap price (0.75€), altough they have a minimum order of 100€ from abroad.
For the last group buy I bought from them more than 100 pcs...so they definitely have some stock.

Cheers

Andrea

kusonoki PSU

I am trying to build the Kusonoki PSUs shown in shematic #1 (2 for the receiver, one for the DAC): I want to choose the best common mode chokes (there are two of them: 0.4mH and 1.0mH), and thus have been looking through manufacturer's catalogues from Panasonic , Shaffner, Nuvotem Talema, and many others.

Peter:
1. I recall you posting photos of another PSU (for a CD-PRO transport?) with drum style common mode chokes from ROE. Where did you buy these? I have not found a listing for this manufactuer, nor anything resembling them in design from what I have seen.
You said you picked them up a long time ago. Where?

2. What was the sonic effect of power line EMC filter when you used it? I remember you thought it cleared things up at first, but then you abandoned it. Why?
Before they relocated production from Switzerland to Thailand, I was getting very good EMC filters from Schaffner, which I still use today on digital.

TDA1543s are still to be found, problem for me is finding the TDA1543Ts (SM version)

Peleus said:
Thanks! Andypairo!

I searched the website yesterday, but I can't found TDA 1543, and the most siminlan product colud be TDA1543N.

Is this TDA1543N same with TDA1543?

TDA1543N is the standard version of 1543 (and uses Philips IIS format), the TDA1543A instead uses Japan format (and doesn't work with CS8412)

Cheers

Andrea

I bought those ROE chokes 10 years ago at local surplus store.

It was Schaffner I was using. I made this special plug so I can easy compare the effect of the filter. It aded some coloration, that I didn't really like. It didn't sound natural.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,550
Finally, I've got TDA1543 now!

Hi guys,

You couldn'g believe what happen to me today! I went to local small electronic parts store getting some parts I need. This local store is too normal to get some really good parts form it at all. So, after getting what I need, I couldn't help to ask " Do you have TDA 1543 in stock?" During these two weeks, I almost ask many DIYers I can contact to try getting some TDA1543, including those ones in Taiwan and in this forum. Many guys gave me very useful information, even tow guys promised me to give me one free and without shippment fee! Truely, I try very hard to get one TDA1543. I nearly couldn't believe my ears, he said "Yes!" Oh, My god! Then he show me around 100 pics of TDA1543. Though the price is expensive, about 3.5 US dollar/pic, I still bought 5 pics with great pleasure.

I share this story for you guys helping me to get some TDA1543.

Thanks!

Cheers

Peleus

Peter:
That particular Schaffner EMC filter you were testing looks like it probably occupies lower level of their product line. More sophisticated models are described and pictured on their web-page. Also, I wonder if it is accurate to test these modules without grounding them to a chassis.
Peleus:
great, now you can start building

SMD ceramic bypass caps on CS8412

I tried Peter's "favorite" bypass on the CS 8412.
The influence was obvious upon first few seconds of listening: added sparkle in highs, the upper mids had less metallic aggression and more smoothness, even the bass improved (surprise, surprise) with more power.
Added the same bypass to TDA1543T, the effect was less noticeable, at least I had to concentrate harder to hear it. For once I wish I had normal DIL 1543, since those added n.c. pins in the corner of the T version got in the way of this bypass. All these devices had BG N caps (10uF on CS8412, 100uF on TDA1543T) as main bypass, and separate Audiocom super-regulators (nice regs).
Just to see if Peter's favorite bypass would work as "fix all" solution, I also installed it on CS5395 (48 kHz A/D chip), and a CS8402A in a Wadia converter, with excellent results.
Would be interested to know of other CS8412 and TDA1543 bypasses and results.
Nice.
James

Peter, I am also in Canada and trying to find 15n and 330n ceramic SMD caps to try using them in my DAC. Where did you get those SMD parts and Rikens resistors in North America? Does Rikens brand really sound better than RN55 type of Vishay/Dale? I heavn't had a chance of comparing them, but you say in some post that this may solve the treble roll-off problem.

Since I couldn't find SMD parts yet, I had to order AVX ceramic capacitors for the prototype and will upgrade later.

My DAC is slightly different, though, it's based on the Nonoz III design using single power supply, not the best option, of course. But I cannot simply install another supply in my PPA case. Maybe tapping 16-24 power after the power capacitors in PPA supply would be a good idea too? I plan to use my DAC/PPA mostly portable-way @work and outside.

Maybe a straight-forward question, sorry, but would like to ask you that. What would you say about the Nonoz design of DAC, are there any advantages/disadvantages of his parts selection and schematic designs: Link to Nonoz III ? PM me if you like, please.

How do you deal with the phase inverting problem? As far as I know, the passive i/v doesn't correct it, I heard about Chibi mod, but cannot find any schematics for it. Could you help me with that issue?

Thanks a lot!

You asking about Fedde DAC?;)

Well, my interest in NOS TDA1543 DACs was triggered by Fedde's site. I had many conversations with him, and actually my current version (PS voltage and components values in I/V conversion) were actually suggested to me by Fedde.

Since he also doesn't use recklocking, you can't go wrong with his DAC. The only thing I would improve is different regulators. I like AN8005/8 Panasonics a lot, and of course for best result, you mus use BG N caps (but not too big)

Rikens are much better sounding in that application than Dales (and Caddocks for that matter). I think they are the best here. You can get those and othe rexotic parts from partsconnexion.com locaten in Oakville,ON.

As to SMD caps and other parts, I always order them from digikey.com. They have next day delivery and flat fee $8 shipping.

As to phase conversion issue, I just flip speaker cables on amps (+ with -).;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.