Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony BU-1 compatibility?
Sony BU-1 compatibility?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2017, 07:28 AM   #11
Mike P is offline Mike P  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Salar,

I think the laser in my 333ESD is probably damaged by cigarette smoke. When first received this player it stank of cigarettes inside! I have cleaned the top surface of the top lens and also the underside surface of the top lens (tricky) but it hasn't helped much.

I don't remember exactly but I think I was measuring about 0.9v pk-pk for the laser eye pattern.

The player will play perhaps 1 in 3 discs part of the way through so I don't think there are any other problems, I think it is just a weak laser.

I thought it was possible that may be the photoreceptor on the laser was dirty and contaminated with nicotine residues but I cannot see a way to get to it to clean it. I did consider trying to clean the whole laser assembly in a bath of IPA but this would be an absolutely last resort.

If you have a spare BU1-C that's great and I would be interested in buying it from you.

If you only have spare BU-1 lasers that could work too but it looks like I will have to swap the RF boards.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,
It is BU-1.
Did you compare the cables/connections between RF-Board and Main Board?
I do not have the time for this in the moment, maybe tonight
Maybe the RF-Board can be simply kept and only the cabling has
to be adapted. This would be easy and save then.
Motor boards seem to be the same.
All the best, Salar

Sony BU-1 compatibility?Hide this!Advertise here!