Latest thinking on USB SPDIF Streaming devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to feed a Hypex DCLP crossover from a computer or Android box of some type. Assume either have USB avaialble.
On the DLCP, I have an AES or coax SPDIF. (n.b. I haven't setup the toslink spdif input, because I havn't figured out how to do this yet).

I'm thinking the way to go would be a USB -> SPDIF (or AES) streamer of some type. My research doesn't find a lot of recent info on these, mostly 2013 or earlier.

What is the current consensus on this approach, these devices?
Are there particular models, or chips to look for?
Are there better ways to do what I trying to achieve now?
Where do people recommend buying from?

Thanks

The miniDSP miniStreamer would be a solution. Has coax SPDIF out (and in) and costs only $35 IIRC. Is class compliant and works under Linux. Can do 24/96 2 channel audio. You can use it with a Raspberry Pi and you will have a cheap streaming source for your Hypex crossover.

You didn't mention what sample rate and bit depth you are interested in. For up to 24/192 you can use a USB recording interface. Cost is anywhere between $200 and $500 (and up). Look for one with SPDIF I/O, as it is not always included.

Thanks CharlieLaub,

I believe I only need 24/96 for the DLCP but 24/192 wouldn't hurt...

I've added the miniStreamer to the list as a potential option.

Also had a look at some USB Interfaces.
- M-Audio Super DAC II $149 USD is an interesting option. 24/192 with volume pot.

- Focusrite 6i6 $249 USD - another option which the preamps will be handy for when I do room measurement.even cheaper 2nd hand

The main downside here would be limited to Windows and Mac source. No Android drivers for these typically.

I'll weight this up once I have confirmed options.
I also need to read-up on aspects such as re-clocking. Not sure if i need this capability or not as yet.

So I've been searching wide for solutions and it seem more complicated than it has to be to move digital audio from a USB source to a preamp.

From my research:
1. Conversation (Review) on USB to S/PDIF converters seems to have dried up since 2013. I cannot work out why...

2. From what I read it seems the hierarchy of best digital connection is AES, then S/PDIF Coax and finally Optical. My DLCP supports all 3.

- There seem to be few AES options available
- Coax S/PDIF is generally disappearing from USB Audio Interfaces and replaced by Optical.
- If I was to get a USB Audio Interface then I'd like the volume control on these to attenuate the digital outputs (but they generally only do to the analog outputs).
- Many devices are OS limiting by driver requirements, to support features I don't need.

To reiterate my requirements, I want to stream from USB to S/PDIF Coax, AES is fine too. I'd prefer this to be Plug n Play so could be run from Android, Linux or Windows. Maybe to MiniStreamer is the most economical solution.

What are others doing?

Not sure if I fully understand your requirements. What about a cheap USB DAC like the Matrix Mini-i Pro or Emotiva Stealth? They are better than the Focusrite stuff but may be more expensive.

I have a Stello U3 USB converter that plugs into a computer's USB input and outputs coaxial or AES/EBU. I use it with drivers since a bit of my music is high-resolution but you don't have to.

USB converters aren't as popular as they were before USB DACS became popular but some still use them because their DAC doesn't support USB or their DAC's USB option dooesn't sound as good as it does with a good USB converter in the chain.

HI Noway1 - Yes I should probably explain my requirements better.
USB converters aren't as popular as they were before USB DACS became popular but some still use them because their DAC doesn't support USB or their DAC's USB option doesn't sound as good as it does with a good USB converter in the chain.

I am using a Hypex DCLP as a DAC which will be a 3 way active crossover to drive a triamped setup. The has input S/PDIF Coax and AES, Optical and USB inputs. Only issue is the USB is only 16bit whereas the other options are 24bit.

Ideally I would have preferred my DAC to have a better resolution USB but my requirements for a 3 way crossover were limiting. MiniDSP was an alternative but I've read mixed things about the sound of these.

At this stage I'm thinking a USB -> S/PDIF converter of some sort is probably what I need.

I'll keep on with my search

I can confirm that the CM6631A USB to SPDIF converter I linked to above does in fact work!

In the 'advanced' properties I can easily select 24/88.2k and have verified that with my UltraCurve sitting on the optical side it does indeed work just fine at that rate and depth.

The Lexan 'box' is good too, comes in flatpack 'kit' form, although one of my stand-offs did not have a thread cut into sadly it so mine has only 3 legs now rather than 4, but it still looks nice and the electronics bit indeed does the business.

This now allows me to have 24/88.2 coming from my app on the laptop (I'm using Google Chrome) straight out of the USB into the optical. So unless there's some other sampling doing on in Chrome or Windows (which is possible but appears unlikely) this allows me to use the laptop as a source of HD audio.

Obviously I have no idea of jitter (except that the sound is good with realistic vocals), but in any sane system I'd feed the optical into an Ultramatch for re-timing anyway with an AES link from that to the Ultracurve DAC.

Enjoy!

I have one of these CM6631A boards and the other day we were at a fellow inmate's home, testing its s/pdif output (coax).

I won't say that it sounds bad, but it's definitely not "very good". For starters, changing between DS / KS / WASAPI as well as different sampling rates makes quite the audible difference (obviously I'm talking about Windows) so some experimentation is required to settle on the best sounding software setup.

I'm not saying that it's a bad board for the money, but it's an inexpensive board, with inexpensive oscillators etc.

I thought mine did the job fine, but you always have a risk of the OS or App resampling when you don't expect it.
I only tried mine on PCM 24 at 44.1 and 88.2 as that's all I bought it for.

BTW I'd never recommend feeding any output of anything straight into a DAC, I'd always go via a decent reclocking box for serious listening (either within the DAC or close by) because you may think the CM6631a is cheap but the USB outputs on PCs and Laptops are super cheap!

We only have numbers and timing for digital, often the numbers are wrong on the CD and it's a struggle to correct them, but in general the timing that the DAC receives the numbers is just as important.

With all the issues in digital I'm being drawn to vinyl again LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.