diff between sony CDP302 non ES and ES models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Regional variations are often down to things like supply voltages and/or whether it can be used on a range of voltage (110/120/230/240) but there can be other differences as well.

You would have to study the circuits and look for obvious differences, perhaps a different DA convertor or different analogue stages (differing opamps :)).

Many years back when Marantz was producing the plain vanilla CD players, and then MkII versions or KI versions, I decided to check what the real difference was. The KI versions sounded superior. The media and Marantz were saying that the difference was just in the parts selection and the capacitors' type and uF, but the sound difference was telling me that there was much more to it...!

I can tell you guys that the crucial difference was in fact in how the ground routing was done on the plain versions, and on the KI version of the same model CD players... Important return paths to the main capacitor banks were done by means of wire links, whereas on the KI versions this was done by means of vias and much wider ground fills, providing the low impedance return paths that were the key difference.

Also, the analog stage was receiving the same "treatment".

Anyway, I thought it might be worth mentioning this fact, which to me is kind of semi-criminal approach to purposefully crippling the "standard" players and talking BS about how KI magically selects the best parts by "ear".

Regards,
Nick

The ES designation goes right back to 1954 when Sony introduced it's broadcast standard ES 1 / ES 2 open reel tape recorders.
It literally means Elevated Standard and was a label applied to many products .
Over the years it changed to signify that the ES models were ' tuned ' for better performance than the standard model.
A few better quality components with tighter tolerances etc . similar to Marantz's K tuned gear , they also had the QS ( quality standard ) range which, in the UK at least , were tuned to suit Western tastes .
Sony players made up to about 2000 were pretty solid and theres many that swear by the ES range and refuse to part with them , the switchable digital filter fitted to some models although a bit of a gimmick was handy to fine tune the output to match different amp traits etc.

Last edited:
A little bit more info ....
DAC 16 bit twin CX - 20152
Decent PS with copper heatsinking
Main audio board same as non ES CDP-102
BM-1 drive with a high laser output of 0.6 mV
Output opamps JRC NJM45060S
SNR 96 db
THD 0.003%
Circa 1984/86 and a typical well made and solid Sony player of the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.