CD upgrading? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 02:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

thanks mooly for the alert. I have read that before somewhere.
I think I will be OK. I will be using LM4562 dual OA, a recommended replacement for
the origs.
the player is a sony 302, considered be some to be a very good sounding unit.
And I concur having played it alot with familiar music.
And when I do the swap I will scope it out for any funny buisness going on .
Appreciate all the info from everyone.

PS: Im not going to make a business out of this, only if I see a possibility on some cdp I may happen to acquire.
so far its only 1. and it just because I want to, to see if theres any SQ improvement. Which I read so much about and always enjoy persueing. It all part of my audio enjoyment.

Last edited by oldhifiguy; 19th June 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 19th June 2017, 03:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The benefit of reducing clock jitter can be difficult to accurately assess. You will get differing opinions on whether clock jitter reduction is subjectively audible during music playback. Should you not overtly hear subjective improvement you still may be able to measure some improvement if you have access to the proper test gear. If improvement is not subjectively audible, and lacking objective test measurements, you will be relegated to hopefully applying steps which may not improve, or which may even make the jitter worse.

IMHO, access to good test gear (usually because of cost) is one of the primary difficulties of DIY audio design among those who are otherwise knowledgeable in electronics. When designing and building my own components I'm often satisfied that some circuit or parts change or another is audible - for the better or for the worse. In other cases, I don't believe that I consistently hear any difference. It's these null cases where I really wish I had access to something like an AP test rig. instead of merely my basic digital scope and PC sound card based anaylzer.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 19th June 2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 19th June 2017, 04:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

good points ken.
and much to my relief I have decided not to persue the 'clock ugrading'
I have been inquiring about.
due to your reasons and that of others.
I of all people should know about how criticle clocks are having worked at HP Freq. and Time Division testing timing and frequency measuring instruments in the nano/pico second relm.
Not a good thing to mess with in our CD players ifn you aint smart. could mess em up bad.
Old 19th June 2017, 05:21 PM   #14
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You might find it worthwhile to fit sockets so that you can try a few different opamp types. The 4562 is a top performer, no doubt about that, but there are also others that might give you a little something that is different. The ancient and much derided (these days anyway) TL072 is imo a great device when used correctly. It costs buttons and just might surprise you. That one is FET device.

One practical point... is the opamp supply in the Sony -/+5 volts or is it higher ? If it is only 5 volts then the TL072 might not be able to operate correctly at the maximum theoretical output level that a CD can give. Lets say it would be marginal. On a typical music disc there would be no problem, on a test disc at 0DB level there could be.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

looks like OP supply is +/-12v.
And yes sockets are a must.
gotta chk is 072 pinout is same.
thanks again mooly yu've been a big help.
Old 20th June 2017, 01:11 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

chk'd pinouts sony cdp302 orig OA, LM4462 and TL072 and all match.
so you can add the 302 to your list of compatible Opamps if you keep one that is.
Cheers and thank you all again for all of the info you've given me.
Has really been a help.
I'm beginning to like this site. is it US based?

Last edited by oldhifiguy; 20th June 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 20th June 2017, 06:52 AM   #17
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It has its origins down under I think but we consider it pretty global.

99% of opamps follow a standard pinout although the single versions can vary in the way offset null and frequency compensation is applied.

Make sure you obtain the opamps from recognised suppliers as there are lots of fake and remarked devices out there.
Old 20th June 2017, 01:26 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I should have known that pinouts had been standardized
its just been many yrs I studyd the little buggers.
Just now getting back in to playin with em.
Glad at least 1 audio product has em to mess with.
You must know Paul Hogan then.
way back when, I would catch the Paul hogan show here in the states.
Very funny guy. What's he up to these days. Retired I guess.?

Hide this!Advertise here!