Calling all I/V gurus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can this paralleled circuit be done for negative input for I/V stage instead of positive? Any advantages doing this, lower input impedance, distortion, better drive, headroom ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
If you use the right scaling resistors ( ~5.4k//110pF from each - input to output),
and ground the +Vin terminals.
There will be lower common mode distortion for the inverting mode operation.

This sound promising, when you say the right scaling resistors, couldn't the 2.7k already in the second pic with the 221pf filter cap across it be used?
Any more suggestion to guide me through this?

Cheers George

Last edited:
Joined 2011
This sound promising, when you say the right scaling resistors, couldn't the 2.7k
already in the second pic with the 221pf filter cap across it be used?

Possibly, if the current output can drive it to the right level. The data sheet says
only 1mA peak max output current though. To get the nominal 2V out, you'd need
to double the feedback resistors, since the current is halved into each op amp circuit.
Also I'd try breadboarding the circuit. There may be some parasitics to deal with,
for example with stopper resistors in series with the -inputs, etc.

Last edited:
I think the two half-opamps are going to be fighting each other due to slight differences in input offset voltage. I reckon you'll need some 'sharing' resistors at the inputs, rather like the two 5R at the outputs.

Hi Araxalito, How will I tell if I need them, and 5ohm ok?

Do you think this could be better than just one AD826, will I gain the above?
EG: (lower input impedance, better distortion, better drive, headroom?}
And will gain remain the same?

Cheers george

The fighting will manifest as one (or both) of the opamps outputs hitting one or other of the supply rails. 5R would be a starting point for experiments yeah.

But why not use one of googlyone's discrete opamps (on his blog)? The advantage there is classA operation in the output stage so no noisy power supplies hence no fancy decoupling schemes required.

Why bother. You are making a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Just put an OPA627 single in its place and jumper pins to the right positions.

That way you will have a much better sounding op-amp replacing what you had before.

Some say the AD826 is better for I/V duties as it slew rate 350v/us where the OPA627 is only 55v/us
And settling time is 70ns for the AD826 where the OPA627 is 550ns

Cheers George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.