Weird start up problem with Audiomecca cd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I recently purchased a used Pierre Lurne Audiomecca Kreatura CD player that did not read discs. After futzing around with the unit, I found that the loading mechanism is fine, but it does not spin on entry, so no table of contents reading. But, with the cover off, if I reach underneath and nudge the laser sled, the cd spins and the unit works! At that point, it behaves properly, including skipping tracks. But after it stops, the only way to get it to work is to nudge the sled again. Does anyone here have an idea of why this is happening, and what I can do to make it work?

Hi all. I recently purchased a used Pierre Lurne Audiomecca Kreatura CD player that did not read discs. After futzing around with the unit, I found that the loading mechanism is fine, but it does not spin on entry, so no table of contents reading. But, with the cover off, if I reach underneath and nudge the laser sled, the cd spins and the unit works! At that point, it behaves properly, including skipping tracks. But after it stops, the only way to get it to work is to nudge the sled again. Does anyone here have an idea of why this is happening, and what I can do to make it work?

You are very lucky... I have good knowledge of these beautiful High-End machines...

1. Remove all the grease deposits from before... from all gears/ slides, i.e. from everywhere.

2. Remove the spindle motor and then clean the rotor's commutators by injecting pure methylated spirits (99% alcohol) through a little hole... while spinning the rotor. Use the syringe. This will remove the shorting graphite layer away from the commutators, therefore improving the initial torque capabilities.

3. once everything is working again, apply small amounts of fine machine oil... where it's needed- see 1. above

The spindle motor is supplied by the "starving" current, to minimize jerkiness....

Good luck
Nick

Last edited:
Well, I have tried the " clean out the motor" trick and while it didn't work, it takes much less of a nudge of the sled to get the unit to spin up. So now I am wondering, do I have to beef up the capacitance that drives this motor? Once started, it plays fine to the end of the disc. Or should I keep cleaning out the graphite residue? Or look for a new spindle motor? It looks like this is an overkill mechanical mod to a pretty basic machine, but I am still intrigued by what it sounds like, especially as a transport. Thanks Nick!

Well, I have tried the " clean out the motor" trick and while it didn't work, it takes much less of a nudge of the sled to get the unit to spin up. So now I am wondering, do I have to beef up the capacitance that drives this motor? Once started, it plays fine to the end of the disc. Or should I keep cleaning out the graphite residue? Or look for a new spindle motor? It looks like this is an overkill mechanical mod to a pretty basic machine, but I am still intrigued by what it sounds like, especially as a transport. Thanks Nick!

You'll need to vigorously inject a fair amount of alcohol while spinning the rotor, to clean the commutators. Don't touch the capacitors/electronics/trim pots. Alternatively, try to replace the motor, BUT I suggest cleaning it first.

Good luck.
Nick

One thing I have noticed is that when the drawer closes, the unit does not read the TOC. It spins the cd backwards about 10 degrees, and that's it. When I push play, the play light comes on but nothing happens until I nudge the sled, and then it spins. But I will say that the nudge I give is a whole lot less to get things started is significantly less than before the motor cleaning started. I will keep at the cleaning, because I feel this has been beneficial. Thanks for helping me make progress Nick!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.