Platine Technics SL-P377A sometimes blows fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the tittle says, I have a Technics SL-P377A that works great and sounds pretty good (after I replaced most caps) but sometimes when I turn it on the fuse blows. When I got it the fuse was blown, I started by just swapping it and the player worked fine for a few albums but the next time I turned it on the fuse blew instantly. I changed the caps but that didn't change a thing as I suspected. I changed the 4 first rectifier diodes by common 1n4004and the regulator (LM2940T 5V) but still nothing. I checked all the solder joints and they're good. Again the player worked fine for a few hours and again the next day but later it blew the fuse again. The voltages from the +/- 8v supply are a bit high (+9.8/-10.2V).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has this problem only occurred since you recapped the player, or is the player an unknown quantity you acquired from somewhere ?

Also, have you replaced like for like with regard to the main reservoir cap values ?

Equipment such as this can be 'close fused' meaning there is little leeway for any change in surge currents.

Hi Mooly,
I bought the player with a blown fuse, the seller told me one day it just didn't turn on.
All caps have been replaced with same value, sometimes a little higher voltage but same capacitance. There are two SRU N15quick blow fuses just after the 9.4v ac rectifier section and they are ok.

Well it definitely seems to be some capacitor inrush current problem because I discharged all the caps from the power supply, turned the player on and watched the little fuse go open in a flash. would it be safe to get a 150 or even 200mA fuse or am I looking for trouble by doing that ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Apart from going against the manufacturers recommendation, I to wouldn't foresee a problem going a little larger.

Many many years ago one of the Sanyo Betamax recorders had a close rated fuse fitted, it was something similar to yours in value, and the model suffered random fuse blowing. I seem to recall there being an official update to increase the fuse to a T800ma.

I would be happy with a T250 or T315ma fuse as long as I was sure there wasn't some other issue somewhere (unlikely if you can prove the higher fuse repeatedly survives on/off cycling).

All you can do is try it and see how it behaves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.