Dissapointed in Dolby Digital 5.1..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently brought myself a home theater package and I'm pretty dissapointed in Dolby5.1 let me explain why

When I watch Terminator 3 with DTS format sound it is louder and there is much more bass than Dolby 5.1. Same thing on another movie I tested.There is a huge differance in the low frequency range. Put is like this when using Dolby Digital 5.1 you wouldnt even know there is a subwoofer in the room.

To be honest my only dissapointment is the loss of bass with Dolby Digital.
Does everybody experiance this or could it be some settings on my dvd player or something

Any Feedback appreciated

Regards

When I read about "Saving Private Ryan", the review also said that one should choose the DTS version if one had a capable decoder. I wouldn't knopw the difference for a fact, as I have "only" tried the DTS version.

However, I could imagine that most entry level surround systems are sold with a 5.1 decoder and speakers not capable of extreme dynamics. Hence, I would not be surprised if the overall dynamics of a 5.1 recording is deliberately lower than the dynamics of a DTS system. I have not done any comparison on this, so it's purely guesswork of mine.

Jennice

turboturk,

I have a Yamaha receiver with both DTS and DD and I can not hear a difference. I like the way DD 5.1 sounds. My receiver has a LFE adjustment for DTS only. Maybe you have the DTS LFE adjustment all the way up, so when you switch back to DD the bass will be a lot less. If you have this feature try to lower the DTS LFE adjustment and then turn up the bass control to give you more overall bass for DD.:D

After countless tests with various equipment I can say that DTS is ofcourse better than DolbyDigital, but in the end both systems sound by lightyears worse than stereo. A $2000 stereo system sounds much much better than a $6000 5.1 system, at least with music, with movies maybe it's a personal taste thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.