Upgrading REGA Planet 2000 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Haavard is offline Haavard  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading REGA Planet 2000

I have just opend my rega player for a look inside it. Nothing much to see I have to admit. But the sound of it is pretty good. I have heard that changing opamp could be a nice tweak. As far as I can see tha opamp used in the Planet 2000 is a LA9216 (6F3). Probably made by Sanyo.

Is it possible to change this opamp to an another and better opamp. ?

What other tweaks should I do, put in a new clock ?
Old 23rd March 2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

It's not an opamp. It is a whole bunch of amplifiers, voltage references, volume control, and voltage regulators on a single chip.
You can only replace it with a LA9215, which is pretty much the same thing anyway.

The 9216 was used in the second Planet. Funny that they still use it in the Planet 2000. Funny that the sound of the Planet, which quite some people - myself included - like, is the sound of a crappy bitstream DAC, the sound of a one-chip output stage developed for portable CD-players and microsystems, and the sound of cheap Samwa elcaps.

I have a Planet with most elcaps around the DAC and 9216 replaced with Rubycon ZAs of the same value, and Silmics as output coupling caps. The ceramic cap in the RCR RF filter right at the output was replaced with a larger Evox PFR. These mods yield a fresher sound, without harming the Planet's basic qualities. In fact, I did the work because I was bored and because I used a bigger DAC anyhow. Well, after five minutes listening I threw the DAC out of the window ...

Hide this!Advertise here!